Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke the Red Beast in and took the red goddess of fire up to 8 whole grand..and I cant believe I did it already..but doing 150 was so perfect to attain...the fastest i have been on anything of this earth so far...
I still have yet to get the wheelie thing down...dont think i wanna master it either...2 wheels on the road seems to be better than one for now,

I must ask...is the speedo accurate on the zx....?
It seems that as I try so hard to go 65 on the free ways in my area....that everyone is going much faster than me..(even the grannies in the slow lane).

is it me (my zx)or is this zx14 speedo in general a little out of wack...

also..i run my tire pressure at 42 front and rear like the good book says too.

So how does one get the speedo checked...for accuracy...the cops :evil in my area when I ask them to radar me say to seek help elsewhere..

G

·
"Farmer check" for me was always to get my friend with the newest car to set there cruise at (km's) 80, 100, 120, 140 and then I'd ride behind and flash my light when I wanted him to go to the next speed. It's not the most accurate, but I found out I was about 20kph out.

(speaking of which anyone know how I can fix that???)

·
Registered
199 Posts
gps, borrow one from a friend, or buy one, they are inexpensive and fun to mess with.

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
drewfus said:
"Farmer check" for me was always to get my friend with the newest car to set there cruise at (km's) 80, 100, 120, 140 and then I'd ride behind and flash my light when I wanted him to go to the next speed. It's not the most accurate, but I found out I was about 20kph out.

(speaking of which anyone know how I can fix that???)
Yeah a sprocket change will work, check where the speedo stems from, if it the front wheel you are out of luck.

G

·
slim1100 said:
...if it the front wheel you are out of luck.
Hey Slim, Yeah it's definatley off of my front tire. I went to the dealership and they said that I should check the little nylon gears in there, which I did and they are fine. I've been thinking maybe it's the speedo cable? Getting worn down so it's not making good connectino with those gears? Or heres a question you might know the answer to. How often do people mess with the size of their front tires? Is it possible that the people that owned it before me changed that? Because if it's reading 20 fast it could mean (in theory) that my front tire is to small right??? But it seems like it fits in the fender really nice and bigger might not so yeah... thanks for the advice man.
Drew~

(I only thought of the tire thing because I had all these friends in high school who would Jack there trucks up with body lifts and big tires but then get pulled over by the cops until they figured out bigger tires = speedo reading slower than they were actually going... I had to laugh)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Some of the race tracks have a radar gun. If you do a track day they may be able to give you a true speed reading.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the data. I will get a GPS since I heard they can give more accurate speed indicators. I know its cant be a worn speedo cable or gears on my ZX14, its way to new for this to occur. It must be just a bad engineered speedo system and or badly engineered quality control escape from manufacturing to allow this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts