Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new here, so hello. I have a used 2007 zx14 that I just got a month ago. It wouldn't start right off a couple of times at first, but I attributed that to the new battery and how long the bike may have sat. After a couple of weeks, I went for a couple hour ride which I fueled up at the beginning. I was back in town after making a couple of stops....and as I was driving along, the bike died. Fuel was a little less than half with about 100 miles on the tank. I got a ride home, brought a gas can and fuel cleaner, filled it and it started right up. Drove it for a week and on the second tank and about an hour ride with a couple of stops. It wouldn't start again. Thankfully I happened to be at the Kawi shop and all they could come up with for possible reasons was bad gas...and or moisture in the bottom of the tank.
The originating shop said they will take care of it for me so I am not to worried. They also mentioned possible fouled plugs. I get popping when decelerating, which I attribute to the after market exhaust and no power commander...which is fine since it sounds cool. after reading a couple of threads I think my idle might be low but I am not sure what it is at. Right now while it is having its problem the idle seems low at 900 to 1000rpms. I find that when I first start it when it is working that it starts off around 1200 and when it is warmed up that it idles around 1000 maybe 1100.

So I am a little heart broken on my new purchase but I am confident in the dealership honoring the sale and fixing the problem. Any ideas? I have put about 1000 miles on it since purchase so it isn't like it has been dead since I got it.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Welcome.
yes, if the idle is too low, the bike will die. Your tach may be off but I believe 850 or 900 is when it will die. Some guys like myself have turned idle to just below 1000 to help keep the bike from "clunking" when going into 1st.
Yes, plugs could be fouled but not sure why it would die while riding.
Just an idea, have you tried popping the gas cap when it dies? maybe the vent is plugged and creating a vacuum in the tank.
Just seems odd that it would start right up after you add some gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you say popping the gas tank, do you just mean opening it as if I were to fill it? Where would I check for the vent if it were plugged?

Can the fuel pump be clogged too? Not sure about that as it will run for a week before it happens again? It will be a week before I have time to bring it back to the shop.

People also mention ethanol gas creates problems. I have read about the long long debate on fuel. But I think it is weird that I ran about two tank fulls of gas before it did it again.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
I won't rule anything out. I've had my bike since 08 and use ethanol gas and no issues.
Did the bike sit outside where water may have in the tank?
How long did the bike sit?
yes, just pop the cap. listen for a possible vacuum sound. It should be the opposite and air rush out.
When it gets warm out and you shut the bike off, the gas caps are known for their "whistle" to vent off the pressure in the tank. Some guys just open the cap to relieve that pressure.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Another idea.
You say after you've been riding it dies.
has there been any type of mods other than exhaust to the bike?
You could be getting vapor lock if for some reason fuel lines are moved too close to a heat source like the exhaust.
I'm just taking stabs in the dark since I don't know your bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
only mods that are mechanical is that it came with pipes. I have added bar risers, battery tender, gps and rear luggage rack. nothing crazy.

·
Registered
937 Posts
only mods that are mechanical is that it came with pipes. I have added bar risers, battery tender, gps and rear luggage rack. nothing crazy.
Siphon all the gas out of the tank. Then un bolt the tank and lift up the back, I use a 2 x 4 block to hold it up while I squeeze the orange release tabs on the hose, twist it 1/4 turn and the hose will come off, turn it up side down and dump the remainder of the fuel. Re-install your tank and put gas in it. Next to your left knee is the idle adjustment knob, turn to 1150-1200RPM then ride it. You can find free PDF factory ZX-14 OEM manuals on the web, save the PDF and look up how to remove the tank, easy stuff. You have a simple problem. Or just go to the shop where you bought the bike and have them dump out the tank and check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have dropped the bike off at the shop and I think they will drain the tank, check the filter maybe spark plugs while they are at it, but they sound those simple things should clear the problem. I can ride, but I can't fix very well so thank you all for your suggestions as they seem to all be pointing to the same issue and means to an end. Of course this stuff only happens when it isn't raining....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Does it have a powercommander?lift left dashboard panel to see.had a buddy with 06 that was doing similar thing's. Ground wire on the PC was lose

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I'm new I just got 2011 zx14 When the bike is on Runs good I hit the gas she responds fine but when Im in gear always feels like she's gonna die did that once long time ago but now was worse I thing its bad gas ⛽ can anyone help me out thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts