Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:runaway
so I have lots of tred on my front zx14 stock tire and have no current need to replace it just yet, the rear tire was just replaced with another stock tire.

what I wonder, since I was advised against it was if one can stick a different manufacture/make of tire on the rear and front.
I wish to keep my stock front tire till she must be replaced since there is plenty of tread left on it, then install one of those soft dual compound tires on the rear.
:rolleyes
Any thoughts on this...I know keeping the front and rear tires the same has advantages, but would there be a major hit if the front and rear tires were made by diff:rotflmao maufactures? ...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dont mix rubber. If you travel on flat straight roads then that is cool to do but when it comes to corners then dont even try as the two different rubbers move in different ways and they grip in different ways. Think of it like walking in ice or skating on ice. With the skates you can turn and move correctly and with shoes you have no control except when standing up still.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes I agree with WhoKilledKenny!

As far as I know, the ZX14 came standard with the Bridgestone BT014's, which is not a bad tyre at all.

I would also suggest that you stick with the same until it is time to replace the front as well, then you can change both to something else.

Personally, I am not so sure whether the dual-compounds will be the best for the ZX14? I prefer a single compound which give a constant feel all the time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As far as I,m concerned if you run a good quality tire on the back you won't have any issues don't go throwing a 60 dollar Cheng Shen or whatever on it, but if its a good speed rated tire go hard, I did.:crazyloco

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the data all...
I would never use a cheapy tire, since I daily tke the 14 to 150...always the best I shall use..I just wont be mixing them...ever...

Once the front is gone enough I will next try a dual compound tread...since the sides are more sticky and the middle section on the rear is longer wearing....at least so I hear.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to mix.
I was in the middle of France when I had a flat rear tyre.
A hole in my 2 days old BT014.
At Saturday afternoon.
So I found a dealer and could choose for a Michelin or a Michelin.
So now I have the new Michelin Pilot Road 2 at the rear
and the OEM Bridgestone BT014 at the front.
Perhaps I should have changed the front as well, but no way.
(lady at home was pissed already for 2 tires in 2 days)
I never did mix tires before, but I don't feel any difference.
Not at a dry and not at a wet road.
Perhaps because I don't do knee-downs, but who cares.

When the front tire is worn I will probably have a Michelin in front as well: problem solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts