Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day gents.

Was in drag racing yesterday, with tuned Nissan GT-R. I have 2007 ZX14, about 2500 miles on it only. And everything is stock, haven't touch anything.

My friend also has ZX14, but 2008 with 8000 miles on it. He says it is stock maps etc, but he has double M4 exhausts on it.

Now, during the race GT-R pulls off the launch anyways, and bikes get behind. But then we catch him.

However, I do feel that my bike is "chocked", and there is not enough power until I hit 6-7k rpm. I know that this is due to secondary flies. Question are:

1) is "flies" issue sorted on 2008 model?

2) is it possible that, him having only M4 exhaust and me having stock big cans (which chokes the engine, how drammatically by the way? can anyone quantify how much power I can get by only having removed stock cans and havins sometihng like M4?) can make enough difference in bikes performance?

3) I for sure like big noise from exhaust (and my previous ZX11 had open ended exhaust and was great), how ever I like quiet cruising much more. So I'm looking for some ehaust (Yoshimura, Akrapovich or else you advice) which is open, but also has inserts, so I can easely insert them when driving dailiy, and pull them away when I want to race or just have loud noise for short time?

Want to mention that my friend was ahead of him quiet a bit, but I came about 1-2 meters behind. Now, I did a mistake switching on 3rd gear, and lost a second anyways, but still feel like bike is not pulling as it should.

Thanks ahead

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
Your friend was carrying about 30 lbs less than you (assuming your personal poundages are more or less equal) due to the removal and replacement of the stock exhaust. If the pipe was the only difference, the weight loss is the main advantage. Most of the flow restriction from a stock exhaust is due to the inline catalytic converters and the cats are the only things preventing a stock exhaust from producing as much power as a fancy aftermarket system. One of the magazines recently tested a ZX-10R back to back with a stock pipe and an expensive Akrapovic titanium pipe and found the Akra produced ZERO extra hp over the stock system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the answer is yes, by only removing stock cans and fitting M4 adds more HP... yes, we are almost same weight, maybe I'm more by 10-15lbs but no more.

what about the questions number 1 and 3?

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
As far as questions 1 and 3 go yes they fixed the "problem" in 08 the flys open @ 3 k rpm instead of 7k rpm (big difference) . The problem is most custom maps are for no flys so most people ditch them on the 08 up bikes also . As far as exhaust goes "uncorking" your it will give you about 10% with a good full system and less than that for slipons so if your looking for big power gains from an exhaust your probably barking up the wrong tree but as stated earlier you can drop 30lbs quick that way . That being said dropping 30lbs and gaining 10% is a respectable gain and worth looking in to .

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had the 2007 ZX14... You "must" drop the exhaust and pull the flies. Get a PC3 USB and a map (custom is best Jeffo is a good cheap map). Get a quick turn throttle and practice your clutch-less shifting and you will be all set. Your 2007 will become a beast!!! :crazyloco

When did you purchase your 2007? With only 2500 miles on it you need to ride more!!! :nana

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
The 08 is actually 11# more in stock form.
I believe the 08 has some internal mods too.
The mega-Ninja’s new cylinder head is the biggest mechanical change. Revised intake porting is teamed with 20% larger secondary air ports for a less restrictive passage into the exhaust. A new air-switching valve is able to handle a bit more flow. The sub-throttle injectors were tweaked to provide a wider spray angle for improved atomization, part of what boosts the lower-end and midrange power. A new ECU monitors and controls the electronics, offering revised fuel and ignition mapping.

In addition to more low-end and midrange power, Kawi claims to have whipped up three extra ponies up top, now a claimed 190 horsepower at the crankshaft. Peak torque of 113.5 ft-lbs is reached at 7500 rpm. Another 10 horses are gained with the benefit of ram-air induction at top speed, which is still electronically limited to 186 mph as per a gentlemen’s agreement among manufacturers.

If you don't care about top end, do a sprocket change. You'll pass up the 08 like he's standing still.:crazyloco

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love this forum man....I knew that there is something not right with my kawi..I just could not be that much wrong with take off and acceleration.

Will start looking into making mods. I know this question has already been asked for millions of times, but can I just change exhaust and take flies out? No PC.

I'm concerned about gas milage and overheating.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the 2007 ZX14... You "must" drop the exhaust and pull the flies. Get a PC3 USB and a map (custom is best Jeffo is a good cheap map). Get a quick turn throttle and practice your clutch-less shifting and you will be all set. Your 2007 will become a beast!!! :crazyloco

When did you purchase your 2007? With only 2500 miles on it you need to ride more!!! :nana
thanks pal, looking forward to do this mod. Also looking for some s.o exhaust. M4 is ok, but there is already one on my friends kawi, so want smth different. What do experts here recommend?

p.s. ya it sure sounds very funny having 2500 miles on 2007 kawi :) the reality is, I purchased in Nov 2011, got it in my carage February 2012. It only had 160miles on it. Brand new bike, was just sitting and rotting in dealers yard...... I bought it from the dealer in GA, USA (I live in Baku, Azerbaijan). And God damn it, it snowed very heavily here for about 2 month :)) So I was really pissed of, by only openning garage door and staring at her... Been driving since end of march 2012 :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, also wanted to ask this, can anyone direct me where I can get HOW TO remove stock cans? I want to open them, remove the "silencer" part and install it with "no insides". As I like symmetrical look of stock cans.

if it is possible at all, without damaging/destroying the look

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
So the answer is yes, by only removing stock cans and fitting M4 adds more HP... yes, we are almost same weight, maybe I'm more by 10-15lbs but no more.

what about the questions number 1 and 3?
All you need to do is remove the cats (hammer and punch to break them up) and your stock pipes will flow as much as an aftermarket system. You'll still be carrying most of the extra weight. Stock mufflers and midpipes weigh about 32 lbs.

Secondaries do open sooner on later models, but they are still a bit of restriction in the intake tract, so most hop-ups involve removing them to give the throttle a direct connection.

Once you've removed the cats (one in the front end of each muffler) the exhaust will be only slightly louder, but much freer-flowing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good day gents.

just ordered M4 exhaust for my kawa. Planning to take flies out as soon as I get M4. Also planning to order Power Commander. Now, my kawa is 2007, and I do remember that those days only PC III was compatible with this models. I now check with Dynojet, they say PC V also can work....so, want to know the experts here, which one should I buy. Don't want to but something overseas and find out that it is not compatible at the end.....

thanks

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Pcv is just an updated pcIII, it comes with some goodies installed that you have to download from online for the pcIII . For example the "accelerator pump" part of the program is already installed . Other than that they both do the same job . So unless you plan on using the " upgrades " in the pcv I would run either but given the choice because they both cost the same run the newer system unless you get a great deal on a pcIII .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How feasable and possible it will be for me to re-map stock ECU of Kawa, rather than buying PC V? Has anyone here done that before?

Or it is just pain in the butt and not worth ~300 bucks that PC V costs?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right, so no answer was mentioned to be "don't mess with stock ECU?" :)

here are my mods now, gents.

Installed M4 slip ons.

Removed 2ny flies.

Added PC V , and istalled available map which was closest to my set up.

And now, I really feel that I'm driving a monster. :)

here are some pics from my playground.

Great thanks go to Blue bomber, for detailed explanation on heating the screwdriver. And to all folks here who supported me in general.

Time for drag, and prove who is first :)

p.s. anyone has any dyno results for zx 14 with this mods? I don't have dyno stand here so can't test it...how ever would expect > 190bhp on rear wheel, or is it too much for this bike?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
why can't I add pics...it says here 97.7 kb for jpg file type....and I can't even upload 33...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts