Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:scared So I have changed out my oil numerous times since I bought my ZX14.
I think since its got over 3,500 Miles on it I must have performed at least 6 changes on it.
I must now ask that dreaded question on the use of synthetic oils or blends.
So far I have used the suggested replacement oil and wish to go to synthetic blends but see so much variety..some with with moly some with out..etc ..etc.
So before I use synthetics..and perhaps damage or contaminate my clutch material (if that can happen), I need to ask those that know..
For there ZX14...what oils have you used and have you had any issues with them..(clutch slippage...etc)...?

Ted

:crazyloco

·
Registered
6 Posts
Independent oil test on web showed that AMSOIL was the best. i will get you address. Tried it in my old ZX-12R and no complaints. Gonna put 3000 miles on the ZX-14 and then switch to AMSOIL.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know of Amsoil...use it in my car. I love it..
Please post your data on Amsoil once you get it in the ZX...wish to know how the clutch works out...with Amsoil in it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lots of opinions on oil, and many have their favourites. However, Amsoil is the best, and always has been.

... and yes, I'm a Dealer in Canada

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a link to the testing of the oils. The paper is the one that all the AMSOIL articles pull their information from.

http://www.thebestoil.com/g2156.pdf
This 'independent' study was sponsored by AMSoil so it is no surprise how they managed to come out on top. Not to say AMSoil is not good stuff, just stating my observation.
I sent this info to "a retired chemist, from a major Oil and Chemical Company; his career was in the Quality Assurance of Fuels, Lubricants, and Chemical products". Some of you might know him as The Oil Guy. http://vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

His response to me is as follows:
"You are correct in that it is a commercial for Amsoil. I feel confident that their oil is indeed a premium oil, but I have never completely trusted them because they always make a big deal out of the 4-ball wear test, which is valid for greases but has no correlation to what happens in an engine under normal operation".

·
Registered
98 Posts
We all want to feel like we're using the very best oil in our vehicles, cars or bikes. When I read that Castrol GTX our performed Honda's motor oil, I thought who can you trust? I've determined from experience that oil losing viscosity is where the damage occurs so frequent oil and filter changes is the most important item and not what kind of oil.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have run 20-50 Penzoil in almost every racecar and motorcycle I have owned.No plans to stop now. Just be sure to use bike oil in the bikes.:smile

·
Registered
208 Posts
:banghead

Full Synthetic is definitely what to use from now on. I run Motul 300-V, got over 77k on the clock right now and runs like new. Putting in some Repsol tomorrow since they didn't have 300-V at CycleGear today (where I got 2 brand new Pirelli Diablos for 160 bucks, incredible one-day sale today!:nana ).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got 2000mi on my 07 now and just went with Kaw full syn 10w 40. Its made by Motul, says it right on the jug! I don't ride it real hard so I don't anticipate any probs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am being told (by my wife, as I roll my eyes, she works at the dealer) that the ZX14 came with FULL synthetic in it??? I am at 1000kms now on mine....gonna do some sort of oil and filter change tomorrow night. I use only Kawi filters, but what oil?????

Oh yeah, the wife doesn't read this forum, so she won't know I am asking for a second opinion!!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Castrol R4 Superbike 5W40 is a great oil but once you go fully synthetic you should stay fully synthetic. It just limits your options if you ever want to try something new. It is good though, I used to run it in my R1 and it was good so I never tried anything new. Good choice on oil!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Castrol R4 Superbike 5W40 is a great oil but once you go fully synthetic you should stay fully synthetic. It just limits your options if you ever want to try something new. It is good though, I used to run it in my R1 and it was good so I never tried anything new. Good choice on oil!

Our bikes came with Kawi Full Synthetic in them from the Factory.

Therefore I thought I'd break the mold(I like Motul) and run the Kawi 10w50 Full Synthetic. First change was at 1000kms, second at 3700kms.

Now I have decided that I'll go back to using Motul 5100 10w40. SO I bought a case of it and have enough to last through next summer!!

I just put it in at 5700kms the other day. I also added 500ml of LUCAS synthetic Oil Stabilizer.

The bike still does the startup knock and the typical rattle every once in a while.

I am happy with my oil choices!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts