Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm new here hoping someone can help me out. I have just bought zx12r a1 with 15k on the clock totally standard. It has been stood for two years getting started every now and then, I bought the bike got it home fresh fuel new battery as the other wasn't the best. Took the bike out 100 and odd miles fine then went to start it yesterday and it won't fire I've got a really good spark the fuel pump is working plugs are wet there's no f1 light on I'm totally lost. I've checked all connectors and checked wires all looks good, if someone can help me point me in the right direction I would be very grateful thanks

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,279 Posts
Disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Try to start the bike

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,279 Posts
Hi yes I've done tried that but still nothing
Well, previously, you put a fresh battery in it and it started. So my thought was something was reset when you put the fresh battery in.

If you have good spark, but the spark plugs are wet, then that tells me there's no spark. It's contradicting.

Does the engine turn over?
Are you able to bypass the safety switches?
Clutch safety switch, kickstand safety switch, TOS (not sure if this bike has one)
neutral indicator light working?

A short video would also help of when you attempt to start the bike and what the instrument cluster looks like. Also note any normal sounds that are supposed to be there or are missing when attempting to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I put a new battery bike has been started at least 15 times since then it rode fantastic last week parked it up it the went out this week and just turns over. Engine turns over fine no funny noises etc. The safety switches are work as they should and the neutral light is working as it should. Just can't find what the problem is mind blowing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Been out in the garage today, I checked the spark again and it was weak then nothing no spark at all. Pulled another coil and plug tried them and no spark again. I've tried bypassing the safety switches still no spark...

·
Registered
298 Posts
If it was sparking to weak spark to no spark, it could be dirty contacts in the ignition switch, but more likely the kill switch contacts. Because any resistance in the kill switch will kill the voltage through the stick coils.
Stick coil resistance is only about 1 Ohm so any dirty contact in the kill switch will lose the voltage over the coil when it fires, so just checking the stick coil voltage is battery voltage is not going to help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all I'm new here hoping someone can help me out. I have just bought zx12r a1 with 15k on the clock totally standard. It has been stood for two years getting started every now and then, I bought the bike got it home fresh fuel new battery as the other wasn't the best. Took the bike out 100 and odd miles fine then went to start it yesterday and it won't fire I've got a really good spark the fuel pump is working plugs are wet there's no f1 light on I'm totally lost. I've checked all connectors and checked wires all looks good, if someone can help me point me in the right direction I would be very grateful thanks
Check your fuse where the starter relay is does it wind over or no

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it turns over sounds fine my mate came over yesterday and today the spark is fine I was sorry he did all 4 plugs and coils the are all working as should all fuses all good too we both banging our heads plugs wet spark but not trying to start at all!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts