Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still having problems with charging system, replace stator and regulator, wires get hot fast! is charging 14.4 volts at idle! almost like its full fielding, edven loads motor down, motor speeds up when i disconnect regulator, i dont know what else to do, ive checked the ground and power wires for a short, or open seems ok, the brown wire says in wire diagram, there is a "load" in wire harness? any help would be appreciated

· Registered
ZX12R Limited Edition 319/400
7 Posts
The brown wire comes from GND, has an intersection to the rectifier and up to the ignition keylock. Based onto the pure cable attachments I see no reason for heating up as you had described.
But from own experience: Disconnect the big round connector below your seat pad, the A-model has the habit to press some oil moisture from the crankshaft housing up through exact this cable routing, caused by a direct connection of said cable to the engine housing. As I had disconnected mine, it was wet in oil inside and raising temperatures caused by higher resistance had already caused fires at other owners.
Had cleaned it intensively and had sealed altogether 3" down from the receptacle with liquid epoxy. This artificial oil barricade had prevented the moist to raise up again and cause some trouble within the connectors. Also all loads and parameters were remaining normal. Ensure not to mix the A and the B charging wire system, A model holds 2 round connectors, B only one and 3 separate quadform-connectors.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info, im aware of oil migration problem, checked that, not the problem, also has factory repair for that issue. have replaced both stator and rectifier due to plug between them melted solid! still over heating wires, they get hot!! have checked for corrosion at junctions where the white wires are crimped together in harness, also grounds, no change, have used multi meter extensively to check for resistance, still cant locate problem!!! arrrrgggghhh!!!

· Registered
7 Posts
Right, in order to troubleshoot from bottom to the end: You could unpin the brown chord out of the lower end of the connector and start your engine. As soon as electrical load appears, the cable must stay cool. If so, you have to unveil the whole harness beginning from the outcome of the engine housing, a frayed or abraded cable may cause some short circuit.
If this was not the solution, you have to check the other side of the connector to the rectifier into same way.
Whats interesting to encircle the cause: Where starts the heat to raise? Up from the engine or down from the rectifier? This may close the point of internal cable contact to solve the problem. You may use your fingertips to do this diagnostic.
Good luck out there.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for that very well written diagnostic! another thing i found yesterday, when bike running its charging at 15 volts at idle, wires get hot and it actualy slows the engine down, like a heavy load, i disconnected the connector to bike wiring, leaving connector from stator to regulator plugged in, engine speeds up! runs smoother, wires cool off! i checked power on the brown wire and its the same as the white wires when connected? ill look at it again today, again thanks for the help

· Registered
7 Posts
I would highly recommend you to start from the rectifier then down to the connector, because afaik the rear end isn't sealed, so you haven't to cut any wires for this first step. Also to mention, that it would be much more easier to disconnect the receptacle to engines side and than unwrap the whole harness down to the engine housing to make a detailed visual inspection of each chord.
Do not cut the brown wire just for testing the possible heat source because every cut and rebind will increase the overall chord resistance. Unwrapping is maybe very uncomfortable but for proper load and ground functions the better way. Report in, when you need further assistance.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, here goes....... through my looooong journey down the rabbit hole... and tons of help.... i want to share my findings, i pulled harness out from under battery box, where it passes from under seat, frame, comesout under battery box, started stripping tape and plastic tube from harness, WHAT TO MY SURPRISE!!! look at pictures, the HACK i bought the bike from had some interesting wiring technique!!! needless to say, i soldered and shrink wrapped wires and its running and charging fine now!!! special shout out to dang3 for the advice to start on battery end of harness

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Glad you made it and Im here to help, always welcome (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts