Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find the petcock on my C model. I've never had the tank or the fairing off, but I figured it should be right there. AM I retarded? I thought I read a link where Claude said it doesn't have one. Is this true? How can a tank not have a petcock? My manual is sitting within reach but I'm to lazy to open it.
T

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
There is one but it only have "on", "off" and "drain" position (no reserve). You don't need to use it under normal riding. You only need to use it if you remove or drain the fuel tank.

It is on the LH side of the fuel tank and you need to remove the LH plastic under the seat to see and reach it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
petcock/help!

Claude,Im also having the same problem,,,,,, I bought a tank off of e-bey and its a cali model.I have a 91 c mod. everything seems to be the same except it has three vent lines.My mechanic needed the rear tank bracket,so i searched only to find it discontinued from kawi,but i found one on ebey.Now i need the fuel valve /or petcock.I have the square device with the tubes on it that goes to the bottom of the tank exit flow,however my mechanic said that is not all,that i need a round device that mounts to the tank? is this the shut off valve?I dont see this on the print out!Please help, this is the only thing between me having my rebuilt 1109 painted and polished basket case of bike back! after a fine tune test run.:clap

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Sorry but mine is a canadian model that do not even had the emsision stuff. So, I'm not at all familiar with California stuff. There's only one petcock on mine and it is the square one located where I wrote above.

·
Registered
45 Posts
square one.

Yes thats right ,for cali mod and u .s. mod. its the same petcock.There was a mixx up within the communication between mechanic and me. we are both excited to be done with this bike!Me so i can ride again ,and him so he can get it out of his shop:angry !He was saying shut off valve,but ment the part that screws into the bottom of the tank that the hose of the petcock goes on to,and in my manuel its called a filter.So now ill order it from kawasaki in the am.For one i hope its still available and for two, i hope it doesnt cost $30:banghead <sometimes we need to laugh to keep from crying!>HAha ha! Thanks forum, let the good times Roll!:crazyloco

·
Registered
354 Posts
The US Cali bikes came with a vapor emissions canister and supporting hoses and valves. You can easily remove the canister and its related hardware and plumb the bike just like a 49-state model. I bought mine in New York and it came with Cali emissions. I removed it all and mine is now 49-state spec.

My Petcock just has on and off. I can reach it through the vent hole in the left side panel. I turn mine off before I store the bike for the winter and I then let the bike idle until it runs the carbs dry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
plumb the lines?

Hello fellas im back,rossB,on a eariler post you spoke of your bike being a cali mod,(fuel tank with 3 vent lines )and by passing the emissions canister. What do you hook the hoses from your tank to?You dont just run hose off of the three vent lines and just down out of the way do you?I need to know ive got a cali tank with a us bike.Anyone please help.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I capped off the middle port with a vacuum cap. I vented the two outer ports down the frame along with my other vent lines. Mine has been configured this way for close to 14 years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
my thanks.

thanks kawi t for the info.I called and ordered the parts i need for my air box today,and ordered the front seat bracket i needed and asked the parts man at kawasaki and he said to vent the first and plug the last two to the right of the left <1st.> ill do mine how you have yours for one you said it worked for you and for two,your bike looks FAST!:crazyloco

1 - 9 of 9 Posts