Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well supplement for that year has a test chart that shows ohm readings at 1K setting, neg on red, pos to other color wires. I am getting what appears to be good spark but will only fire on
starter fluid. Will not run on gas. Have tried another IC unit and also changed fuse box. Can find no fault with wiring. Did replace bad oil pressure gauge. Don't know where to go next.
BTW when I first completed carbs it started before my finger released the starter button. While putting air box back on there was what sounded like an electrical short but no fuses bad etc.
It has not run since.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The fact that it fires up all be it with starter fluid and you swapped out the IC for another one with the same results confirms the IC is good, Do you still have Spark ?
Or has it lost Spark since it made that noise ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fact that it fires up all be it with starter fluid and you swapped out the IC for another one with the same results confirms the IC is good, Do you still have Spark ?
Or has it lost Spark since it made that noise ?
It has what appears to be good spark. With plug cap off will shoot 3/4" to ground. Good compression on all four cylinders. (4,500 miles on bike). This one is making me lose my hair.
The two fuel warning lights flash with key on, fuel tank off. Can't remember if they did that when I first removed tank. I know if you unplug oil pressure switch the fuel level lights go out.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the lights at this point.
Compressions are good you say, What are they ?
If you have good comps and a spark then your short of Fuel.

Lets go back to the Beginning with some History.
What exactly lead up to the issue ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Compression between 170/180 all cyls. Bike sat 10yrs. Went through all hydraulics. Cleaned carbs in ultrasonic cleaner. Bike started right up and sounded great. Strange noise which sounded like relay clicking or something shorting occured while putting air box back on. At that point had no oil light or fuel lights. Traced that to corroded terminal on oil pressure switch. Replaced switch and all lights ok. Tried to start bike to sync carbs and it hasn't started sense. I pulled air box so I could spray fuel out of bottle and it still will not fire on gas. Don't know how timing could get off but suppose it's possible through ICU.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you checked the gap on the igniter? I played hell with mine. I would gap it, removed the feeler gauge but the igniter would physically move. The rubber isolator in-between the bracket and igniter was causing it to "rock" when tightening. Spun this piece of rubber 180°, set proper gap at .7mm or .28" and haven't had a problem since. I learned that you'll can still get a signal from the igniter. However, only enough to see it on the DVOM but not enough to excite the CDI.

I also know that you must use the starter button as it excites the junction box relay which tell the CDI to WTFU...!
However I haven't looked at a wiring diagram for a 92C

Just my recent experience with a new to me 02/1993D that hadn't run since the late 90's and no one knew why but was a donor for my 11/1992D

Edit below:

The clicking you most likely heard was the fuel pump running dry. Fuel petcock off will cause this. Ask my dumbass how I know...

You have spark but it wont start on gas sprayed from a bottle?
Corroded terminal on oil pressure switch. This should a stand alone warning light attached to nothing else. Common power source but it gets its ground through the switch. I can't see wiring being different between the C or D series for this.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,807 Posts
I've got a fun suggestion for you. Remove all the relays. Jump your clutch and kickstand safety switches. Jump your fuel pump relay too. Make sure fuel petcock is set to RES. Attempt to start. Also, check what unfocused_adventure mentioned. Report back.

Edit: make sure the battery has a proper charge and passes a battery load test. These earlier Kawasaki bikes demand the battery to be in good health before it'll attempt to start. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1992 ZX11. It would only start on starting fluid and go dead. Chased the problem for months. Turned out to be weak spark on my #3 coil. It would spark outside grounded out, but it was orange and weak looking. Bought a used coil off ebay and it fired right up. Make sure all plugs have bright blue hot fire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts