Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 zx1100d, I was experiencing idling problems which led me to taking the carbs off. I found that #3 cylinder was not getting any fuel at all. So now I have a tapping noise coming from engine. I have cracked the case to see if I burned a connecting rod bearing and they all seem to be fine. I don't know what else I could have done from running it with no fuel. Any insight would help.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts
I have a 2001 zx1100d, I was experiencing idling problems which led me to taking the carbs off. I found that #3 cylinder was not getting any fuel at all. So now I have a tapping noise coming from engine. I have cracked the case to see if I burned a connecting rod bearing and they all seem to be fine. I don't know what else I could have done from running it with no fuel. Any insight would help.
Are all the valve clearances within spec? Also, check the alternator chain tensioner. It's on the Clutch side of the engine. Those seem to fail at varying miles and make a tapping noise when they first start to fail. If you don't have any adjustable rods, you should be fine on your bearings and rods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started to hear the light tapping and then one day it was more pronounced. I can't feel the tap in the motor when it's running. To me it does sound like a valve. It did seem to lose power when I last drove it.but u may be right about that tensioner. The motor only has 13000 miles on it.Thanks for your reply. I'm gonna check that tension right now. I'll let u know.

·
Premium Member
13,378 Posts
13K miles is not enough to hurt it unless it's been abused. You prob know about the oil starvation issue I assume?

·
Registered
80,81 GS750L, 81 XS1100, 85 FJ1100, 96 GPZ11 (1200 EFI PROJECT), 03 VT11, 06 VT600, 12 ZX14R, 67 C20
135 Posts
I had a similar problem w minr. Passed a buddy in his truck, something felt "off" when i got up to higher revs, shifted into 4th and she wouldnt accelerate. 5 miles doen the road passed a string of cars and it still wouldnt accelerate like it should. Soon as i switched lanes it felt like i blew a tire. Turnes out rod #3 wanted a window to see the world.

Id recommend testing ur rod bearings. Pull the sprak plugs and put a rod/screwdriver in the hole. Turn the engine slowly until its on the downward stroke. Then see if u can compress the pistonw the screwdriver. If it moves AT ALL then u need bearings. U (should) feel a slight impact if it moves. Helps to leave a breaker bar on the crank bolt to hold it still

1 - 5 of 5 Posts