Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 zx11. I have 7250 miles on it! Bike is in perfect condition, except 2nd gear is hard to find under exceleration, and when you do find it sometimes it pops back to neutral. Downshifting to second is unheard of. You can upshift to second with absolutely no throttle. All other gears seem fine. Is this due to a bent shift fork? I am very mechanically inclined, I have worked on cars, dirt bikes and minor repairs on all my street bikes. I am worried about tearing into this, but I am in a new city and dont know any mechanics that I would trust. Please advise!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
It could be a bent fork. But most of the time, it is rounded off gear dogs that cause this and repairing/replacing the tranny is then the only solution. Better thinking at some undercutting too to permanently solve this issue.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
There are surely many places that undercut trannies but I only know two of them : Fast by Gast in New York (link below) and R&D engineering in Florida (they have no website and I don't have their phone/fax numbers).

http://www.fastbygast.com/

I know both of them are very reliable and knowledgeable about motorcycle tranny (I got mine made at FBG and they will charge about $300 to do yours).

Yours being a C model, you can drop in a complete assembled tranny from a D model (it is slightly better). No single part interchange but the whole assy does. If you use a D's tranny, you must use a D's front sprocket.

Best way is to buy a complete used tranny and send it to get it undercuted. That way, you minimise your no riding time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lohan lover, what do you mean your not so sure about this. Does this not sound right? I have done a lot of research on this and it seems to be the right answer. Second gear is jacked, I will shift into second, and even if i can find second it will pop out almost instantly. thanks for your guys input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts