Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've come to the realization that my 94 ZX11 may never run again. 30 sec. after the oil pump gear fell off, the sickening knock started. I shut it off quick but not before it scored the #4 sleve, and I'm sure the crank.
Finding another engine, under $2k is impossible and my wife just veto-ed my repair budget after I got tagged for 150mph+ on my Katana. I really don't want to part it out but If I don't find an engine fast (or a fast engine), she'll have to go (the bike, that is). :banghead
So, at this point, I'll see if anyone wants to make an offer on the whole bike, or major parts. The bike has hardly ever seen rain and is (was) in near-showroom condition. It's completly stock other than grips, and purple shield.
The bike is near Seattle & I have (some) access to cheap shipping.
Let me know,
Rob

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you have access to cheap shipping to UK? I'm looking for headers and LH muffler assembly, plus the little triangular grille that sits bottom front of fairing plus right side narrow lower inner fairing strip (the bit that runs from front of the lower back to the rad , seats the triangular grille at the bottom).

If shipping to the UK is a bit of a stretch then for the two lighter parts I could have them sent to our office in Chicago and have them sent on to me from there (they wont do the heavy headers tho).

Cheers

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Pacman, why don't you go the OEM ZZ-R1200 exhaust instead? They could possibly be easier to find and smaller to ship too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Claude - If I could but find a set. And they are expensive. All parts are for a 'fixer upper' so cheap rules.

Long story short - I bought a D2 that needed some tlc to get back on the road (stolen recovered, stood in a field for 4 years). I was going to use it as a hack and keep my D6 (which has had sooo much invested in it) for high days and holidays. However my wife thinks differently. She seems to think 3 bikes are at least two too many. I want to keep my D6, and I have the 1200 bandit which is so much fun, so it looks like the D2 has to go. But I do have some pride, I want the new owner to go away happy, I want to be able to say I fixed it, is complete and running and it looks good.

And slightly (ok, way) off topic, did you know that if you fit zzr1200 headers to an 1100 you cannot remove the shock lower link without removing the headers? I found out the hard way when I came to fit a zzr1200 shock. Ended up shelling out for an ohlins.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
And slightly (ok, way) off topic, did you know that if you fit zzr1200 headers to an 1100 you cannot remove the shock lower link without removing the headers? I found out the hard way when I came to fit a zzr1200 shock. Ended up shelling out for an ohlins.
Yes, I do remember very well reading this elsewhere. It always is in my mind as the D model I intend to renovate will have a 1200 exhaust and, I was thinking, maybe a 1200 shock "later". But knowing this, I will eliminate the 1200 shock idea or install it before the 1200 exhaust. Thanks for the reminding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey cowchip, I could get you a good used engine for around $1,500, where are you located, I'm in Indianapolis.............

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got parts left? May be looking for rear axle w/nut and spacers, pivot bolt w/nut and spacers, dogbone assembly and maybe the shock. Maybe the wheel to but the price will have to be good.
Rick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I've decided not to part it. She's too pretty to cut up. Only 15k mi. Now, I'm trying to decide if I have the time and determination to rebuild the engine (not likely), buy another engine or sell the bike "as is". Thankfully, I shut it off quick & only froze #4 rod bearing (oil pump had crapped). I guess I could just re-bearing it & replace the oil pump.
Currently, I'm working on a jeep project. So, my toy budget is zero. If anyone will give me $1800, it's yours or if you stumble onto a good-running, cheap engine.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, I've come to the realization that my 94 ZX11 may never run again. 30 sec. after the oil pump gear fell off, the sickening knock started. I shut it off quick but not before it scored the #4 sleve, and I'm sure the crank.
Finding another engine, under $2k is impossible and my wife just veto-ed my repair budget after I got tagged for 150mph+ on my Katana. I really don't want to part it out but If I don't find an engine fast (or a fast engine), she'll have to go (the bike, that is). :banghead
So, at this point, I'll see if anyone wants to make an offer on the whole bike, or major parts. The bike has hardly ever seen rain and is (was) in near-showroom condition. It's completly stock other than grips, and purple shield.
The bike is near Seattle & I have (some) access to cheap shipping.
Let me know,
Rob
Hi, I'm interested in the engine..
I have a 94 with bad second gear..
Is your trans good...and if so..how much for the
lower half of the motor...ie..
engine less head, less covers, less starter, less carbs..
If you have a way to ship, also how much to ship to 89107
Also, if the upper and both front lowers and gas tank look good, how much for those?
thanks
Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I finally found another engine. I popped the head off the old engine an it doesn't look that bad. I was thinking about throwing new bearings in it, cleaning up the pistons and cylinders and saving it for an extra. OR maybe do a big-bore and make a drag bike out of it. :scared
What is the engine worth to you? I don't REALLY need it (I'm sure my wife would like for me to get rid of it).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure if this thread is still alive, but if you're still interested in parting out the bike, or still have most of the body (fairings, exhaust, rotors...) I am extremely interested. Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also checking in to see if parts are available. I'm wondering if the blown engine is still around and could use some clutch parts.

I live in Burien - pretty close to Seattle - and could meet up to take a look.

Thanks!

MikeinBurien

1 - 13 of 13 Posts