Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Most likely to get banned
982 Posts
On mine the tag is on the left on the leading edge of the silver band. It says LOOK
mine says LOOK.... kinda gay for a company name... but that is one comfy seat... almost as comfy if not comfier than a corbin....

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
definitely badass. tho i will opt personally for a "hidden" air filter.. tho the intake assembly on the inlet of the compressor will be my own design and recirc blow-off pressure to help with lag time between shifts.. super-secret trick thats not a secret as of now. lol

not done// this is mock-up, but heres an idea of what i got going on. this will be coupled with an MS3x efi conversion, possible W/M injection, and intercooling.

this keeps reminding me to make more money to finish this. lol i am buying a flowbench right now so money is tight.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Great photos. I really like the intercooler. When I started this, I didn't really have access to everything I would need to do the whole thing myself. Through the project, I've learned that if I do this again, I will certainly do the whole thing. My next project is probably paint and some plastics work. When I go through that I'll probably change the airfilter and hide it. I have actually rubbed it in hard cornering, so at least I need to get some more clearance.

Right now, I don't have a blow-off, just an exhaust waste gate. I'm not going to run it much more than 8-9 psi so that should be OK, but I'm interested to see how your blow-off recirc project works. That sounds like a neat concept.

Keep posting photos of your progress.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok i can shed a bit of info i have on this as my car is a one of a kind turbo 4 cyl probe that eats ppl up. One the bov is necessary unless you want to replace your turbo often regardless of psi it causes compressor surge due to the carb slides closing and the air has nowhere to go but back out this will end up blowing the bearings or shredding the fins you really need to get a bov its not just for the ppsshhtt sound. Now as previously stated you can use a semi recirc or full recirc to pipe the air back to the cold side inlet to help respooling in between shifts but a bov is needed. Also how much do you guys have invested in this total kit for your bikes what about 3 k or so

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This is the response I recieved from Terry at Mr. Turbo reguarding blow off valves.

"BOV's are really not necessary on these systems. We only sell them at a customers request and have never in 30 years of business had turbo issues because of not using them. They are primary used for automotive application s in which they are needed. We really only use them for top speed racing where the turbo is spooled for long periods of time and the throttle gets slammed shut at the end of a run."

There would be no harm in adding one though, and I've been looking at doing that.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This is the response I recieved from Terry at Mr. Turbo reguarding blow off valves.

"BOV's are really not necessary on these systems. We only sell them at a customers request and have never in 30 years of business had turbo issues because of not using them. They are primary used for automotive application s in which they are needed. We really only use them for top speed racing where the turbo is spooled for long periods of time and the throttle gets slammed shut at the end of a run."

There would be no harm in adding one though, and I've been looking at doing that.
Maybe I missed this but if you dont mind saying, how much did everything cost to buy and build? Im looking into going with a mild build motor a 1109cc.. for around 1400 bucks. that includes me shipping off my motor and the build and getting it back. Is it worth that? The motor I have is crap so I wanted some that is faster then what Im used to. Let me know if there are better deals out there and where to get them.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Maybe I missed this but if you dont mind saying, how much did everything cost to buy and build? Im looking into going with a mild build motor a 1109cc.. for around 1400 bucks. that includes me shipping off my motor and the build and getting it back. Is it worth that? The motor I have is crap so I wanted some that is faster then what Im used to. Let me know if there are better deals out there and where to get them.
I've got $5K plus in the turbo build. Most wrapped up in the Mr. Turbo kit. My choices weren't based on most bang for the buck math, but that I have wanted a turbo'd ZX 11 for 20 years and could finally do it.

Working on an intercooler now, but got sidetracked this winter so it may be a few months yet :angry

·
Registered
18 Posts
All you guys are fucking bad ass. Its crazy to know that this is actually possible now lol. The only experience I got with turbos is working with theme on Semi trucks, and 5k for the whole get up is steep but reasonable. Question though, would it make life easier or more complicated if the fueling was done electronically?

·
Registered
97 Posts
subd to this thread. its gonna help me in the near future. been wanting a turbo bike for a while. now i have the chance to get a used setup for a decent price, problem is making the money to get everything i need.

quick question, why do all of these turbo setups oil cooling lines for the turbo come off the engine and pan? wouldnt it be more efficient if you ran the "cold" side oil line off the oil cooler to the turbo, then the return line from the turbo where the oil cooler line goes back into the pan?

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
subd to this thread. its gonna help me in the near future. been wanting a turbo bike for a while. now i have the chance to get a used setup for a decent price, problem is making the money to get everything i need.

quick question, why do all of these turbo setups oil cooling lines for the turbo come off the engine and pan? wouldnt it be more efficient if you ran the "cold" side oil line off the oil cooler to the turbo, then the return line from the turbo where the oil cooler line goes back into the pan?
The oil pump has two sections, one circulates oil through the oil cooler. The other provides higher pressure oil to the engine and uses the filter and pressure regulator. The high pressure side is what is tapped to feed the turbo bearing. If you put a restriction in the cooler side you could have a number of problems. One being that you reduce flow through the cooler and overheat the oil. Another that since there is no pressure relief on that side you could cause a leak or blow a line.

To all, sorry I've been behind in adding to this thread. Working on an intercooler, but this winter was too busy for me to get it made. Then went and bought a KTM and have been riding the heck out of that. Hope to start making progress soon and have something to show for it. Thanks for all of the positive responses.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts