Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Turbo installation notes-

Everyone- I’ve wanted to put this together for quite a while. I have the kit installed and am dialing it in, not quite complete but with the weather turned cold and snowy it may be a while to make more progress. I’ve included dates so you can see how long a process this has been.

4-7-09- Ordered kit. Also ordered the oil bypass to be done as well. Was told to expect about 8 weeks for completion and expect to send in the oil pan and carburetors for modification about two weeks before the end.

6-8-09- Received call for carburetors and oil pan to send to Mr. Turbo for modification. Unfortunately, I was on a job site and couldn’t get back home to remove the parts and send them until the next month.

7-6-09- Sent carbs and oil pan off to Mr. Turbo. They received the parts on 7-11.

9-15-09- Received major components of the kit. The kit was short the following parts:
-Exhaust spigots (steel spacers that go between the cylinder head and the header pipe.
-90 degree silicone elbow to connect pressure tube to plenum.
-Waste gate heat shield.
-Oil stand tubes for turbo bypass of oil pan.

Without the spigots or oil tubes, I couldn’t do much of the major assembly. What I could work on was finding a way to mount the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. Essentially used the stock fuel pump location and made brackets to mount the parts.

The only thing I’ve been thinking of doing is adding a fuel pressure gauge so I can set the regulator.

9-23-09- Received Silicone elbow for pressure pipe.
9-30-09- Received the exhaust spigots and oil stand tubes. With these parts I could finally make some headway. The instructions from Mr. Turbo are brief, but clear. The fuel and vacuum routing schematics were missing, but emailed quickly after I let them know of the oversight. I only had a few questions, some were resolved when they sent the schematics and Terry was as responsive as possible via email. The only drawback was that this was a busy time for him and he was out of the shop frequently so responses were delayed a week at times. This wouldn’t have been the case if I were installing one of the newer kits, but since they only do the ZX11 kits as they’re ordered Terry is the only one who works on them.

Some photos of the progress-

Another thing that is pretty much left up to the installer is mounting the boost gauge. I ended up with this, kind of quick and dirty, but looks good when done.

The pipe supplied with the kit is basically a straight pipe that ends just after the fairing. I wanted to install the Muzzys canister that I had so I had a pipe made to run exactly as I wanted. I took the bike down to Hanksville Hot Rods, south of Denver and in a few hours had the pipe just how I wanted it. Great people to work with there- http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com/AboutUs/tabid/530/Default.aspx

So everything was basically assembled by late October. Unfortunately, I had to travel a fair amount the end of August and early October so the assembly was drug out. This is when I discovered that the bike would not make boost. After discussions with Terry, and messing with the jetting a little (idle was a little rich, the kit wasn’t set up for Colorado) I ended up sending the turbocharger back to Mr. Turbo.

They found the same thing I had, that the turbine would spin when the bike was started, but as soon as it came up to temp the heat shield would expand enough to rub on the back of the turbine blades and bind it. This also caused it to run rich as the stuck impeller would act like an air restriction.

11-17-09- Received Turbo back after repair by Mr. Turbo. They fixed a clearance issue with the heat shield and then ran it on a bike in their shop to prove it worked. (What was nice was that they ran it first and had the same results I did. It’s always good when the problem is consistent!) I was able to re-install it over the Thanksgiving weekend and squeeze in a short ride. Got the boost to 5lbs and the bike really kicks around 7K. I think I have it a little to lean in the mid-range as I had lowered the needles when the turbo was sticking. Even still, I can tell the performance will be exactly what I wanted.

The last thing I need to finish is trimming up the fairing lowers to fit properly. Almost done with that, but the Holidays and cold weather have slowed me down. I’ll post further as I get more done.

I have to say, that so far I am not disappointed with the end result. But I am a little disappointed with how long this has taken. As it stands, Mr. Turbo still owes me the waste gate heat shield. If I had a sketch of what they intend, I’d just make one. Other than the slowness, though, Terry and Cynthia at Mr. Turbo have been very good to deal with. They have always responded to my email and I’ve spent a fair amount of time with them on the phone.

Hope you find this helpful, or at least interesting-

·
Registered
53 Posts
thats who i talked to as well was terry and cynthia and they as you said where great to deal with. what kind of boost does that kit put out as i noticed no bov, to much pressure going back into the turbo when you close the throttle is a bad thing thats what the bov is for. you can acctualy do major damage to the turbo if the boost is high enough

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My plan is to max out around the 8-10lbs range. Really want to keep the bike very streetable, and not chasing any kind of records. I think the max that Terry recommends with the carbureted version is 15lbs. They've used the same turbine for 25-30lb applications, so I think I'm in a range where there won't be an issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
im not sure what mine is set up for but it has a bov on the airbox. 8 to 10 isnt that a lil high for stock compression pistons? you may want to ask them bout the bov though i dont think you wunna mess up the compressor wheel on that shiny new turbo or maybe just look up some info on it to make sure your safe. cars have bovs at 8 to 10 psi. just a lil food for thought

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More Build Photos

Finally had some sunny days and time this weekend to get the lowers fitted. Thought I'd post some more pics of the 11 with all the plastics on it.

Also thought I'd throw in some pics of a custom socket I cut up to install the oil feed line-

Also, I had taken one of the top end after putting the stick coils back on. I remember someone had asked about the stick coils, but can't remember the thread they were asking in.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Great job! Gonna Dyno?

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't need to, but I probably will to have some hard numbers and verify the carb set up. Today is the first day I've really ridden it other than some quick runs and it seems to run pretty well (carbs must be close).

·
Registered
820 Posts
I hear ya. It's only a number. The real advantage is in the seat! Curious though on the hp gain for the price.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I think I am overdue to post some more info on the saga. As some of you may know, I took the 11 into a shop for some tuning and dyno work.

Here is the story- http://www.zxforums.com/forums/general-discussion/40124-how-would-you-handle.html

I did manage to get this dyno sheet from them. It is at 7lbs. boost.

One of the issues they were convinced was a problem was heat. They had laid heat barrier from over the head, between the carbs and head and over the tranny to keep the fuel system cool. This kept the engine hot. I removed the barrier and wrapped the fuel lines and pressure regulator.

Also thought I’d try wrapping the header-

Not convinced wrapping the header was all that helpful, but over all things seem a little cooler. It does make things awful tight space wise.
As you can see I’ve added an O2 sensor. This has already been quite helpful in tuning the needle settings. It was great to watch on my last long trip and realize I’ll be pretty safe going down a step on the mains. Decided to make a small cluster for the added gauges-

That's a quick 'test fit' version. I'll use the same blank but take a bunch of material off the outside edges so it will look a little cleaner.

After this work, I managed to get in a weekend run up to Steamboat springs just before heading to Argentina.
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/general-discussion/40431-steamboat-run.html

This gave me my first real read on how the carburetion stands. Still rich, but when I get back into the US I’ll drop the mains and tune it some more.

Also installed a Throttlemeister for that weekend trip. I have to say I like it. My wife was a little un-nerved when I reached back with both hands and grabbed both her knees.:evil

Get to go home Wednesday night so maybe I'll get to tweak a little this weekend.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
this is fucking badass.
can't wait to really start hammering away at my turbo 7R build.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Russ, I noticed in another pic that you have the same seat as I do in black/silver rather than maroon/sliver- I hadn't seen another one like it.

And it's you and I that need the fat camp :rotflmao

·
Most likely to get banned
982 Posts
Russ, I noticed in another pic that you have the same seat as I do in black/silver rather than maroon/sliver- I hadn't seen another one like it.

And it's you and I that need the fat camp :rotflmao
fuck it just need to make the bike more powerful... yeah i had never seen another seat like mine as well... whats the tag on the right side of it say? should be behind the silver band

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fuck it just need to make the bike more powerful... yeah i had never seen another seat like mine as well... whats the tag on the right side of it say? should be behind the silver band
On mine the tag is on the left on the leading edge of the silver band. It says LOOK

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had not seen this thread before. Very nice work Rich:thumbup
Thanks, it's been a long time getting done, but it's a lot of fun. I stuck the thread in Mech-Tech but it kinda gets buried here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts