Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
12 block is wider to accommodate larger bore . so no.
Thank you for the information.
How about the ZX11 head on a ZX10B block? I have overbored a ZG1000 2mm over with ZX11 pistons hung on ZX10B rods (pic) I'm looking at a ZX10B block that I can do the same with and have clean, fresh cylinder walls.
Currently I have 3 spare ZX11 pistons collecting dust.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If u have all the parts, all u can do is try. Or spend weeks scouring the interwebs for somebody thats already done it. Slap it 2gether w.o gaskets and check clearances/passages/studs. 1100s and 1200s r definitely too different. Somehow the zx10/11 sounds familiar, but i might b misdreaming. If u find anything itd b interesting to hear about it

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
12 block is wider to accommodate larger bore . so no.
I could be wrong but I don't think so...
Yes, 12 block is wider and 11 head probably won't fit.
However, unless I'm mistaken, center-to-center piston bores is the same distance on 11 and 12. And if this is true, the wider block is not to accommodate a larger bore but simply because Kawasaki widden the oil return path from the head to the base to eliminate the 11 #3 conrod issue.
If someone could confirm the center-to-center distance, this would be great.
I know a guy that, very long ago, fitted 11's camshafts in a 1200 engine and to do so, bore distance must be the same. The guy shimmed the camshafts the same dimension the block is widder.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone measured the ZX11 cylinder wall thickness? Wiseco's big bore pistons are 2 mm over and I assume these have been run on drag engines with nitrous, would a 3 mm over using ZRX 1200 pistons be too much on a street motor?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Has anyone measured the ZX11 cylinder wall thickness? Wiseco's big bore pistons are 2 mm over and I assume these have been run on drag engines with nitrous, would a 3 mm over using ZRX 1200 pistons be too much on a street motor?
Kawasaki do not offer over size pistons for the ZX11. Instead, you must buy STD pistons and new steel sleeves. With their 1109 kit, Wiseco is over boring the std sleeves two mm and, IMHO, they already are at the limit. While 3 mm over "could" work I would not do it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for replying, at least this discussion has added to the knowledge base.
I'm going to give up on a ground-up ZX11 project unless a salvage bike can be located as some of the necessary components are just too expensive on the resale market. :(

I'll just use the ZX11 wheel, brakes, and suspension on the GPZ900 and settle for less than 180 mph ZX11 speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts