Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my ZXR 750/900 M, I swapped out my calipers for a set of Gix K1 1000 tokico 6 pots, goodridge lines, and a Gix 600 K4 radial master.

One finger braking...incredible.

Been sniffing around for a streetride...looking at my ol fav, a D model ZX11. But I just dont like the idea of such a big bike with huge power...on such weedy brakes.

Do any long time members know about the ZX11 caliper compatibility with other bikes/tokico's? Anyone have a tok 6 pot mounted? Spacers needed? Anyone have the specs on the spacers? (If anyone needs them for the ZXR, let me know I have em)

Thanks,

Z

·
Registered
199 Posts
6 pots from the gixxeer fit the D with the use of a couple small spacers.
Claude will have the precise details.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
There are 4 ways I know to have 6P calipers on a ZX-11.

1- Swap complete fork/wheel/fender etc... to use parts from a bike that already have 6P calipers (expensive)

2- Buy Harisson or other expensive calipers specifically made for ZZR1100 (expensive)

3- Use 2001 or 2002 GSX-R1000 front calipers (or Europe only GSX1400 naked bike). All you need are four aluminum spacers (pic below) and four M8 bolts. Those calipers have 62 mm (same as ZX-11) between mounting bolts.

4- Use any other Tokicos like those used on 2000~2003 ZX-12R or Hayabusa (among others). Those have 90 mm between mounting bolts and need special adaptor brackets to convert from 62 mm to 90 mm. Second picture below show such a set-up.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I also put the tokico brakes off a Suzuki TL1000r need spacers to fit on, but they work great with my RaceTech ductile iron rotors.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I also put the tokico brakes off a Suzuki TL1000r need spacers to fit on, but they work great with my RaceTech ductile iron rotors.
For general information, TL1000R front calipers have 90 mm spacing and need aluminium brackets like those shown on second picture, not just "spacers".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...Claude specifically

The spacer is just about identical to the one used to fit the K1 calipers to my ZXR.

Fantastic. This is a must upgrade.

Z

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the braking gained going from the 4 pot to 6 pot calipers that much better as "omg how did I stop this thing before",or is it a subtle gain/no gain that makes you think "it's not realy worth it,spring for better pads and a fluid change instead" or "you want the bragging rights" since all your buds have 6 pot?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help

There are 4 ways I know to have 6P calipers on a ZX-11.

1- Swap complete fork/wheel/fender etc... to use parts from a bike that already have 6P calipers (expensive)

2- Buy Harisson or other expensive calipers specifically made for ZZR1100 (expensive)

3- Use 2001 or 2002 GSX-R1000 front calipers (or Europe only GSX1400 naked bike). All you need are four aluminum spacers (pic below) and four M8 bolts. Those calipers have 62 mm (same as ZX-11) between mounting bolts.

4- Use any other Tokicos like those used on 2000~2003 ZX-12R or Hayabusa (among others). Those have 90 mm between mounting bolts and need special adaptor brackets to convert from 62 mm to 90 mm. Second picture below show such a set-up.

Hope this helps.

Hi!

I just bought 90mm tokico 6 pot calipers and I need to Buy/build the bracket like the one on the second picture. Can you help me please?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The brackets shown on the second picture are units I hand made myself. And I don't make them anymore. You will not be able to find any unless a guy that bought some from me is selling them (not likely as I made only a few and it is about 10 years ago).
The only way I know of it to use 2000 or 2001 front GSXR1000 calipers and have four adaptors (first picture just above) fabricated. Only those 2000-2001 Gixxer front calipers are a direct fit (with adaptors) on a ZX11 (any other year or model won't fit).
Of course, you can swap calipers from another model but you'll be on your own.

·
Registered
396 Posts
On my ZXR 750/900 M, I swapped out my calipers for a set of Gix K1 1000 tokico 6 pots, goodridge lines, and a Gix 600 K4 radial master.

One finger braking...incredible.

Been sniffing around for a streetride...looking at my ol fav, a D model ZX11. But I just dont like the idea of such a big bike with huge power...on such weedy brakes.

Do any long time members know about the ZX11 caliper compatibility with other bikes/tokico's? Anyone have a tok 6 pot mounted? Spacers needed? Anyone have the specs on the spacers? (If anyone needs them for the ZXR, let me know I have em)

Thanks,

Z
Check here; http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-11-forum/172097-gsxr-1000-caliper-update.html

I had mine tapped to fit the orig bolts for the ZX11 and they fit with a 1mm washer between the fork and the caliper. They give that 1 finger feel instead of grabbing a brick. I'm totally happy with the change.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ticket, yes you can do that to (drill & tap the mounting holes). But you need to use 2000-2001 GSXR1000 calipers. That was mainly my point above.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Claude, are the Tokico units better than the ones stock on the ZX D model? and what I mean, are the four piston Tokico's better than the stock ZX parts..? I did a few search's and the six pot T's are seeming to be few and far between.. but I have seen a lot of the four pot varieties on fleabay etc.. I realize that the size of the pistons are going to have a lot to do with it, just wondering if they are just a 'better' brand/manufacture... I am still in the 'make it mine' phase of this bike, as I have only had it for a couple of months.. I have SS brake lines already on the way for front and back, they for sure have some squish with the factory rubber hoses..

thanks for all your help.

Johnny

·
Registered
396 Posts
Claude, are the Tokico units better than the ones stock on the ZX D model? and what I mean, are the four piston Tokico's better than the stock ZX parts..? I did a few search's and the six pot T's are seeming to be few and far between.. but I have seen a lot of the four pot varieties on fleabay etc.. I realize that the size of the pistons are going to have a lot to do with it, just wondering if they are just a 'better' brand/manufacture... I am still in the 'make it mine' phase of this bike, as I have only had it for a couple of months.. I have SS brake lines already on the way for front and back, they for sure have some squish with the factory rubber hoses..

thanks for all your help.

Johnny
Johnny, this is the only set there now on ebay and it's for refurbishment but use the search and set it up to email you when more become avail. I get emails almost everyday. Not always what I'm looking for but within a couple of weeks you should find a set around 120.00 in good shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GSX-...ash=item2a6fa36655:g:o~YAAOSwvzRXzZL7&vxp=mtr

Good Luck!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Claude, are the Tokico units better than the ones stock on the ZX D model? and what I mean, are the four piston Tokico's better than the stock ZX parts..?
Stock Zx11 calipers ARE Tokico four pistons on C and D models. The Tokico four pistons that may be different are those of the ZZR 1200, but don't know if they are any improvement. Try to find the six pistons, it's the best mod for a Zx11.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Stock Zx11 calipers ARE Tokico four pistons on C and D models. The Tokico four pistons that may be different are those of the ZZR1200, but don't know if they are any improvement. Try to find the six pistons, it's the best mod for a Zx11.
Viktor, correct all the way.

I used to use GSXR1000 (2000 or 2001) front 6 pistons calipers on my ZX11C. But because of the kind of sedate way I now ride, I don't need them. Personally, I never saw an improvement using 6P vs OEM 4P but that's just me. So, when I got my current ZX11D, I replaced the front OEM calipers (only because the paint was so worn out) by OEM ZZR1200 front calipers. Those are also 4P units and the only difference with OEM ZX11's is that they have M8 x 1.25 threads on the mounting holes. So, I enlarged and tapped the mounting holes to ZX11 threads (which are M10 x 1.25).

I also am using 1 mm thick shims, the same way it must be done with GSXR's 6P ones.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I missed them... just now saw this post...thanks Ticket... I see a lot of the 90mm six pots on fleabay...off of GSXR1300... I am tempted to buy a set of those and make some adapters... seems like the cheaper way to go if I can't find any of the 01, 02 models... thanks buddy for posting.. wish I had seen it sooner..I would have for sure bought those..

Johnny

1 - 20 of 30 Posts