Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you use your ZX10R ('06/'07) models on the track for trackdays or racing, but we have experienced serious "brake-fade" after approx. 5-6 laps with hard use of the brakes. (Yes, we have tried racing pads as well!!!)

Most of the people that we spoke to racing it in the ZX10 Cup here in South Africa experieced the same problem and we believe that a lot of the Suzuki K6 owners also have the same problem!

We found a dealer here that modify a pin inside the master cylinder and this greatly improves the performance of the brakes.

Unfortunately I cannot give more details as I didn't watch them do it, but I am sure that if you experience the same problem you can speak to someone that do race preparations on bikes and they should know what I am talking about.

The only other alternative is to change the front calipers and apparently the NISSIN ones from the ZX14 fit directly.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
good info, i havent yet felt this problem

·
Registered
266 Posts
Stock master cylinder on this thing blows. I got mine used with 3000 miles on it. There was so much break fade in it, it was scary. I changed out the fluid (and it was burned to a crisp, lol), but that didn't cure it. So, I went with a new Brembo master cylinder. Only done one track day on it since, so I can't report long term. However, the fade is gone with that new master cylinder. I've got some nice racing pads on there now, as well as some Galfer SS lines. If I don't like the way they continue to behave, it may be time for some new calipers (gulp, that ought to set me back a pretty penny!).

/2 cents

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have experienced same problem on the track. Quite scary when you pull the brake lever at 260 km/h and it nearly touches the handlebar.

I have found two alternative Brembo mastercylinders 19 x 18 and 19 x 20 which propably will suit to -07 ZX-10R.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/2fts4w

Which model do you guys have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cheap Fix

There are two fixes for the brake fade on the 06/07 ZX10R.
The first is really cheap:
Simply find a 5/8 master cylinder from an old ZX9R (or old Suzuki), give it a good clean and fit it. Bingo - the way the brakes should have been out of the factory. This is much cheaper than the Brembo option. The 5/8 (16mm) bore is bigger than the stock item and is a match made in heaven. You get no fade even under really hard breaking but still get great feel at the lever (braided lines a must). The 5/8 is axial, not radial, but who gives a sh**, it works (you will have to struggle a bit to get the braided lines onto the axial M/C as they were originally bent for a radial one but there should be enough length for it not to be a real problem).
However, all is not easy. If you get a Suzuki M/C you will need to get a new banjo bolt which is M10x1.0 as the Kawasaki one supplied with any after market braided lines is M10x1.25. You may also need to pack out the banjo bolt with copper washers to align the holes in the banjo bolt.
All up I did this mod for $50 Aussie dollars (excluding brake lines) and have not had a problem.
The other solution is to fit an 05/06 ZX6R master cyliner. It has the same effect as above but costs about $400.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know how many of you use your ZX10R ('06/'07) models on the track for trackdays or racing, but we have experienced serious "brake-fade" after approx. 5-6 laps with hard use of the brakes. (Yes, we have tried racing pads as well!!!)

Most of the people that we spoke to racing it in the ZX10 Cup here in South Africa experieced the same problem and we believe that a lot of the Suzuki K6 owners also have the same problem!

We found a dealer here that modify a pin inside the master cylinder and this greatly improves the performance of the brakes.

Unfortunately I cannot give more details as I didn't watch them do it, but I am sure that if you experience the same problem you can speak to someone that do race preparations on bikes and they should know what I am talking about.

The only other alternative is to change the front calipers and apparently the NISSIN ones from the ZX14 fit directly.
Maybe this cal will give you a hand:

I use the original master cylinder only

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is really strange is that the Master Cylinder on the ZX6R seems identical to that on the ZX10R and the ZX6R does not have any problem at all, in fact most test clain the ZX6R to have some of the best brakes of all, and I do trackdays with it every second weekend and get no fade on the 6 at all !!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
What is really strange is that the Master Cylinder on the ZX6R seems identical to that on the ZX10R and the ZX6R does not have any problem at all, in fact most test clain the ZX6R to have some of the best brakes of all, and I do trackdays with it every second weekend and get no fade on the 6 at all !!!!
The bore of the master cylinder on the 6R 06' is 19mm, and the 10R is 17.5mm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts