Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kawasaki ZX-12R & 2019 SV650X
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know this has been talked about at length on numerous boards so I apologize in advance. I have been reading and I think I know how I can do this on a 2000 ZX12R without a fork or caliper swap or much machining. I'd love some help/advice/expertise/tell me if I'm absolutely wrong in my line of thinking. From what I can tell it would be around a 6-9 pound difference but can't confirm exact weight and also dependant on the year of wheels used.

So for the rear:

A ZX14 is a near bolt on to the 12 but uses a larger brake rotor requiring machining the caliper hanger or another alternate option.

The 10R rear axel is too narrow and would not work with the caliper hanger.

Using the 12R front wheel bearings on the 10R wheel, the 12R or 14R axel can be used without requiring any changes to the caliper hanger. The 10R brake rotor is the same size as the 12R and requires no adjustment to the caliper.

From what I have read, the 10R and 14R width is the same so the 14 spacers in should work.

The 14 Axle is slightly lighter than the 12R and would be the one to use.

So 10R wheel with 14R axle and spacers. 12R caliper and hanger and front wheel bearings. Bolt pattern on the 10 rear is the same as the 12 so can reuse sprocket and rotor.

The front:

Zx10R wheel is a near bolt on to the 12R forks.

Use ZX10 or 14 axel and spacer, as the 12R spacers will not work.

The ZX12R rotors are dished approx 8.5mm and the 10 and 14 rotors are flat.

The 12R has 320mm rotors and the 10 and 14 have 310mm rotors.

12R rotors haves a different bolt pattern.

12R calipers are axial 10 and 14 are radial.

So 10R wheel, axel and spacers. To adjust for the dishing add spacers, preferably on the caliper side to push it in toward the rotor. Potentially 4.5mm on caliper side and 4mm on rotor side so neither side is extended too far.

To adjust for bolt patter and rotor size, I'd look at swapping the braking surface on the rotors. Assuming the carrier (idk if that's the right name for it) part of the rotor is the same size for both the 10 and 12 (I have not been able to find information on the sizes for the non-braking surface parts of the rotors), hopefully rotors from the same company would have the same size, I'd drill out the bobbins from each rotor. I would swap the larger braking surface of the 12 rotor (a total assumption as I have not been able to find measurements to confirm) onto the 10 carrier and replace the bobbins making a rotor with the bolt pattern to fit a 10 wheel with the overall 320mm diameter. (Yes, brembo makes 320mm rotors for a 10.... they are also $500+.....).

This is the puzzle I have pieced together from the information I have found and my own assumptions from information or thought that I have not been able to verify. If anyone can provide any information that may help I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you and sorry if I just wasted your time.

·
6,993 Posts
I'm dizzy......

Both the 12 and 14 wheels are so stupid heavy why would you bother? I saved way over 20 lbs using a complete 2011 ZX10R front end (but I have magnesium wheels which is a few of those pounds, but not all). Just as big as the weight loss was getting rid of those heavy junk forks to get big piston forks plus radial brakes. Don't get me started on how bad 2000 12 front calipers are, and again, are heavy (mine's an 04, so I already had radial calipers, but those are junk also). A set of 2" Woodcraft bar risers puts it back to stock bar height. I choose 3" risers.

Front is easy for the rotors if you are using those 12 forks, use rotor spacers with a 10 rotor of the same outside diameter (I have a pair that I would sell cheap). I don't remember how I resolved wheel spacers but it was easy.

My wheels are Marchesini 10 spoke wheels for a ZX7R. I used an aftermarket ZX7R caliper hanger with about a 15mm spacer between the hanger and the swingarm on the right side. A 2011 ZX10R rear wheel cannot be that much harder. Nice looking wheels and they are light.

My bike is 475 lbs wet including other mods. It was worth the time and effort.

Automotive tire Bicycle Crankset Motor vehicle Wheel

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer Light Plant

·
Registered
2000 Kawasaki ZX-12R & 2019 SV650X
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the reply and taking the time to read that crap I put together. Basically I'm trying to knock this out on a bit of a budget. Not able to swing for mag/carbon/forged wheels. At least on the ole eBay a front end alone is just as much if not more than the total of the parts I've been able to price out to just do the wheels and doing both, wheels and front end, is not an option at the moment but may be better to wait and do instead of just the wheels. Dug a bunch and wanted to see if my conclusions were sound, if anyone had tried it, and if I could knock out a wheel swap for just a couple hundred.

·
6,993 Posts
I made it complex. In my opinion, swap the front end including wheels with a 2011-2015 ZX10R, plus a back wheel. Figure out a rear caliper hanger and rear wheel spacers. It doesn't seem to difficult. Lighter, better and good looking wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts