Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need in order to do the zx10 fender swap on my zx14? Is there a how-to anywhere? What year zx10 fenders work? I need a Silver one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What do I need in order to do the zx10 fender swap on my zx14? Is there a how-to anywhere? What year zx10 fenders work?
ou will need an 04-08 ZX-10R fender. Also, there is a mounting adapter that was made by a few folks for a while because the mounting holes are different between the 14 & 10. Not sure if they are being made anymore though. The last guy that was making them & selling them goes by Dubious on a few of the ZX-14 message boards. Last I heard, there was not enough demand for them so I believe he stopped. If ya can't find any already made, you could DIY. As long as you have the brackets, the install looks very straight forward. @ least you have a silver bike. You can use a stock ZX-10R fender. I have to get mine painted.

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanx conn-e-rot ninja

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just finished mine.

Mocked up some brackets .....

Bought a Evil-Bay fender cheap and threw a coat of apint on it.

Came out pretty well.

Popped a set of Twisted Throttle LED driving lights on the unused fender supports.

Tuck in real nice inside the lowers, bright too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Some folks think the ZX-10 fender looks better. Plus, I have heard that more air gets to the radiator with the smaller fender.
I do believe it looks better and it absolutely lets more air get to the radiator. It also allows you to push your front tire up against walls (when space is tight) without damaging the fender. I did this to my 2007 ZX14 and am in the process of painting my ZX10R fender to match my 2012 ZX14R so I can put it on.

Just finished mine.

Bought a Evil-Bay fender cheap and threw a coat of apint on it.

Came out pretty well.

Popped a set of Twisted Throttle LED driving lights on the unused fender supports.

Tuck in real nice inside the lowers, bright too.
Nice paint job and a really cool use of the empty mounting brackets!

What and/or where did you get the rack on the rear of the seat?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i'm still on the fence as far as the fender mod. for some reason the mod looks better in the pearl green than the others I've seen.

Hey sportsman, I like the custom decal on your fairing "sportsman". I may steal that idea from you for the future. I go by another name on other forums.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can honestly mount it with the one bolt on each side it works fine. But if you have the resource to make mounts then go for it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
IMO, the cooling is probably better but it is so UGLY, (or at least not ZX14 Pretty)... :rolleyes

·
Registered
97 Posts
I do believe it looks better and it absolutely lets more air get to the radiator. It also allows you to push your front tire up against walls (when space is tight) without damaging the fender. I did this to my 2007 ZX14 and am in the process of painting my ZX10R fender to match my 2012 ZX14R so I can put it on.

Nice paint job and a really cool use of the empty mounting brackets!

What and/or where did you get the rack on the rear of the seat?

Rack and lights are from Twisted Throttle.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5224/524/

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2746/524/

Great folks to work with and caught these on sale.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Looks great but it was my understanding that some high speed stability issues were present for some due to changed aerodynamics resulting in not as much down force on the front end. Don't know...just saying.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Some folks think the ZX-10 fender looks better. Plus, I have heard that more air gets to the radiator with the smaller fender. Mine came with one, so I don't know if the latter is true, but so far, my temp gauge hasn't gotten beyond half way up.
I never really noticed how bulky the stock fender is, it looks good with the zx10 fender on there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Looks great but it was my understanding that some high speed stability issues were present for some due to changed aerodynamics resulting in not as much down force on the front end. Don't know...just saying.
Ya thats just false. Is it less aerodynamic? Sure. If I were doing the flats or Texas Mile I would put the original front fender back on. But the bike performs fine with the ZX10R fender.

Think of it this way...does the ZX10R or BMW1000RR have stability issues at speed from their smaller front fender? Highly unlikely.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts