Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that a lot of guys have switched out their 03-05 ZX10 front calipers for ZX6/ZX14 calipers. Is this still a problem with the 08 and up ZX10 calipers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a follow-up, if you had the option to buy either Gen3 ZX10 calipers or 07-up ZX14 calipers, which ones would you buy?

I'm swapping ZX14 forks to my bike, it will have a ZX10 front wheel (258.2 oz for rim and rotors, no spacers or axle or tire). Anyways, want to make sure I get the best OEM brakes I can without getting into brembos (can't afford them for quite a while).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes, the Gen3 is all zx10's from 2008-10. The calipers in that ebay page would do you just fine. I've got a gen3 and I love my front brakes, so if I had to buy, I'd go that way. But I've heard the 07+ zx14's have fabulous brakes also, so you wouldn't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any advantage to the 11-12 calipers over the 08-10? I noticed that the 11-12 calipers use 2 pistons that are the same size compared to the gen3 calipers that have 2 different piston sizes. I ask because they are all about the same price. As for ZX14 calipers, I cannot find them on ebay. There was a set but they went to fast.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's kind of what I figured. I put an offer in on a pair of 09's. Hopefully this will work out. Planning to have my whole front end swapped over by Saturday so I'll need some brakes to go with the new forks.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
09's fell through, but got a set of '10s. I figured that I'd get the different sized pistons for whatever I may gain in braking modulation over the newer. Just hoping that the newer calipers aren't super lightweight or anything like that. Guessing though with one of the pistons sharing a part number with the '10 model that there really isn't a huge difference. Now if they were brembos that would be a different story. Just saw a pair on another forum that would be about 30 oz lighter for the pair than the stock '07 ZX10 calipers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last question, is there any problem with fitting ZX10 calipers on a ZX14? Checking as the ZX10 has the little guide posts sticking up from the caliper mounts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is an easy 10mm for a machinist to take off. I had 0.35" removed off of my mounts to fit the ZX14 forks for my conversion. Well worth it. One finger stopping and they were really easy to bleed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Machinists are easy to find. Also, the brakes are much better than the 04-05 calipers. Or you might try the ZX14 calipers from an 06 or newer.

·
Registered
400 Posts
ZX14 and 07+ ZX6R calipers are the same parts. 08-10 ZX10R calipers are great also. I run 09+ CBR600RR monoblocks and I love them. I had to buy some 5 mm spacers off of eBay to run them on my forks, but I got the entire front braking system for $140 shipped. That's the only reason why I didn't go the Nissin route. Killer deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
See that's what got me into trouble, the 08-10 calipers may be great, but they don't fit the 04-05 without a machinist modifying them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts