Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new here, living in Belgium.

I just bought a home made race-car, with a 1999 ZX-9R engine in it.

Now this engine doesn't start : engine cranks, but I get no spark !

I know the seller has replaced the standard ignition barrel with a flick switch, so that's what I checked first.

- there was no 100 Ohm resistor, so made it as it should
- grey wire has 9V at the CDI now
- battery is ok
- fuses are ok
- tested pickup coil : 450 Ohms, so ok
- new spark plugs
- new fuel
- fuel pump runs

Could the lack of the 100 Ohms resistor have killed the CDI ?

What could be next to test ? Any help is very well appreciated !

I can get a spare CDI from a friend, but might take a week to get it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently had this problem with my Autograss buggy with a ZX9 1998 engine in it.

Make sure that the engine is in neutral, make sure that the engine stop switch is connected and that the side stand switch is wired.

On my 1998 I think I was getting about 11-12 volts to the grey wire on the CDI, don't fully remember though.

I have a full wiring diagram if that's any help to you?

Mine would spark on the first crank and nothing after that. I put a fresh car battery on it, also added a battery starter, cranked it over fast with no plugs in it and managed to get a good spark on all cylinders. After that it ran alright.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply Dave, I appreciate !

I've checked all the switches as you say : they're all ok.

I'll have a new CDI tomorrow, will check with that, and I will try with a fresh car battery, maybe that helps as you suggest.

Will let it now :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My problem was really weird, engine ran fine, then I drained the oil and left it for a couple of weeks, replaced the oil and had a spark issue.

If you need it I have a full wiring diagram, also a full service manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is indeed bizarre !

Mine hasn't run for a pretty long time.

I do have the full wiring diagram (however, some colnnector colors don't seem to match) & the Kawa Service Manual, but thankx for the offer !

·
Registered
197 Posts
Very cool build. I'm not going to be able to help specifically with the problem. However, being as you're in Europe, zx-9r.net will be a great resource for you as well. Fantastic site full of info and based in England. Many of us on this site are on that one as well.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts