Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

This is Sri from Bombay, India. I just picked up a 1992 ZX-7. The owner hadn't used it for months and finally decided to sell. Its up and running now but had some queries.

This would be my first SBK to forgive me if im totally ignorant on a lot of things.

I have 2 main questions.

1. The bike really heats up! I mean really hot - it hasnt died on me yet, but it must be unnatural for it to heat up that much right? Any ideas to what the problem mgiht be?
2. It has a little pipe on the left side, above the gear lever, which starts releasing water after a decently long journey (30 mins+) . Wondering, where is that water coming from? and dont i have to top up whtvr is holding tht water ?

To educate myself, I have ordered the FSM online. It should reach me in like 2 weeks or so. But would like to hear ur experiences and advice on this.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sounds like the cooling system may need servicing/overhauling, especially if the bike has been neglected by previous owners.

First thing to do is check the radiator for any blockages in the finning or any signs of leakage, then drain & replace the coolant & make sure any sediment is flushed out. When you drain it you will see what state the coolant is in & have an idea of how much flushing it will need. Also check the state of the stats to make sure they are working at the right temperature or replace. Check the state of all hoses & that all connections are secure. When it gets hot is the cooling fan kicking in, if not you'll need to check the electrics & maybe suspect the stat. Also if the filler cap looks rusty or the seal is deteriorating replace it. Obviously if stuff has been done then just check the above items.

To look up where everything is, the Kawasaki parts diagrams are useful whilst you are waiting for your manual:
http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?
Click on Motorcycle then look up your bike from the list & have a look at the diagrams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate!

Though the problem might be simple its difficult to get good help out here. there are only 2-3 mechanics knowledgable about Sports Bikes and obviously unless u are on their 'preferred customer' list (namely owning an expensive bike) you dont really get great service from them.

Hoping the manual will reduce my dependance on him.

Thanks for the info though, plan on doing what you said tonight.

Also , any clue about water releasing from the little pipe near the gear lever??

·
Registered
990 Posts
Not familiar with the 750 so can't tell you what the pipe is for, could be a connection to the carb heater if it has them.

Any water should only come out of either the expansion reservoir breather or the breather by the pressure cap. Anything else needs checking or tightening.

If it has carb heating then it is a good idea to check the inline filter is clear.

End of the day sports bikes are not much different in principle to any other water cooled bike, once you learn the basics on one bike you can transfer what you have learnt to anything else. Good luck with the checks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts