Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to try reverse shift on the zx-6r but im to cheap to buy rear sets or a kit so i set out to figure a way to do it my self.

here is the standard shift setup.

I first started by just flipping the front clamp the other way. Take out the clamp bolt, pull off the clamp. Flip the clamp up and slide it back on. Reinstall the clamp bolt. When tightening the bolt keep constant preasure on the clamp by pulling it toward you. This will help keep the clamp in the right spot when tightened down.

At this point, the shifter rod still rubs against the frame so i loosened the bolt holding the shift lever, its the allen head bolt just above the shift lever and forward of the foot peg.

You have to back out the bolt to create a gap between the shift lever and the mounting bracket.

I went to the hardware store and bought several diffrent washers. I got brass washers, with 5/16 holes, because they are thick and wont get rusty. The stainless ones were to thin.

Unscrew the shift lever bolt from the mount. There should be a stainless steel washer installed already from the factory. Leave it installed on the bolt and add additional washers to that.

I started with 2 brass washers but you probably will need more. Here is a pic of the washers installed.

When everything is tightened down check the clearance between the frame and the shift rod by rolling the shift rod slightly back and forth between your thumb and index finger. Make sure the flat side of the shift rod is next to the frame. You may have to turn the shift rod slightly for this. I did not have to with mine.

It shifts just fine. Make sure you recheck the clearance after a bit of riding. The clearance tighten up on me after some riding and it would not shift right so i had to add another washer. No problems sence.
All modifications are done at your own risk.

And dont forget the practice shifting the new way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
fucking a man good work. so it has been shifting good ? who long have you been runing your bike like that ?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That is a great write-up, awesome work there! fast_lcf and I will do that to his ZX-6R and I will see if I can get that to work on my 10R as well.

Give us a follow-up report after you put up some miles to make sure everything is holding up ok after some continued use on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive put around 100miles on the bike sence...everything is good and tight... still gettin use to reverse shift though.

·
11,782 Posts
That is a good way to do it on the cheap. That's what, like a buck in washers. However, I wanted to throw another option out there for you. At the shop I usually go to, you can buy an aftermarket lever that attaches at the gear change shaft (where the clamp is) for as little as $16.99 and then you ditch all the stock shift linkage on the peg and you're done.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I've done this on every bike I've had. Awesome free mod:crazyloco much better for clutchless upshifts

·
Registered
73 Posts
How do you do a clutchless shift on a bike?

·
11,782 Posts
How do you do a clutchless shift on a bike?

Wide open throttle til you redline (or close to it) and then kick it up into the next gear without pulling in the clutch. In my opinion, good for the track, bad for the street.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ouch! Sounds like a track only situation. As I don't plan on ever taking this old beast to the track, I think that's a skill I will wait to learn until I have a newer bike... which will probably be in a year or two... :angry

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ouch! Sounds like a track only situation. As I don't plan on ever taking this old beast to the track, I think that's a skill I will wait to learn until I have a newer bike... which will probably be in a year or two... :angry
No harm to the clutch or gears if done correctly. As you get ready to shift just close the throttle ever so slightly. It will shift gear easily, without effort or grinding. Not recommended for downshifts. Used through out the world for quicker shifting & one less step to get to the next highest gear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
so this mod makes it so you upshift by pressing the lever down?

·
11,782 Posts
so this mod makes it so you upshift by pressing the lever down?
Yup. It's the way racers have it setup so that their foot is above the shifter (and not catching on the road surface/ground/rumble strip) at full lean and coming out of the corners.

It's also a good way to keep people from riding your bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i can see it now.. going full bore in 3rd and accidently shifting back to 2nd.. ouch!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
i can see it now.. going full bore in 3rd and accidently shifting back to 2nd.. ouch!
yep. I did that a couple times when I first did the mod. Or after I ride dirt bikes. Almost broke the windscreen:banghead I'd also suggest wearing a cup,lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thinking about trying this....

·
Registered
35 Posts
...you mean you start in gear 6 and then work your way down to 1?
Must be a super rocket to start on gear 6 (thats like starting at like 100mph).

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

J/K...once you go GP you will love it - and it takes like 5 mins to adjust to it.

Good job.

I wanted to try reverse shift ...

·
Registered
76 Posts
A friend of mine are attempting this shortly. Not sure what year you did that on, but should it be about the same on an 08? Also, anyone happen to know if theres any tricks to it for an 07 gsxr 6?

·
Registered
519 Posts
after i tightened everything down, i could shift it but it wouldnt return to the center postion :[

1 - 20 of 32 Posts