Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 zx-6r and the fuel pump wont work. I tested the pump separately and it works fine. I checked to see if its getting power and it's getting 12 volts. So I think I've narrowed it down to an ecu problem. But I dont know where the ecu is. Another question, is the ecu and junction box the same thing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good question, I have a 2007 which I believe isn't much difference and I've only seen two boxes.... The fuse box located inside the front right fairing or the relay box which isn't far from the fuse box either.... The relay box has 3 Chunky connectors going to it and the fuse box houses the fuses for the Fan, Horn, Ignition etc......

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this also

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2008 zx-6r and the fuel pump wont work. I tested the pump separately and it works fine. I checked to see if its getting power and it's getting 12 volts. So I think I've narrowed it down to an ecu problem. But I dont know where the ecu is. Another question, is the ecu and junction box the same thing?
I just checked the service manual and there is indeed a fuel pump relay inside of the relay box..... They are 4 screws holding the box together, doesn't hurt to take it apart to inspect for corrosion....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I didnt know about the fuel pump relay. I did find the ecu but getting it seems to be quite a task. I'm still working on removing it. I'll check out the fuel pump relay though. Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay I didnt know about the fuel pump relay. I did find the ecu but getting it seems to be quite a task. I'm still working on removing it. I'll check out the fuel pump relay though. Thank you.
Sounds good.... Where did you find the ecu?? I'd like to know for myself

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's between the two seats. Behind the main fuse. I had to take off my rear fairing to find it. Also I just opened the relay box to look for the fuel pump relay and I just found a green chip inside and it's hard to get out, I'm scared I'm going to break it if I try too hard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok thanks ....ye I know what you mean, i wouldn't try removing it if you think its going to break, I know its held in by a couple black clips... Maybe you can also try testing the Brown and Yellow wire going to the ECU from the Relay Box.... I believe thats the cable for which the ecu sends signal to the fuel pump relay....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey man..
I've also got an 08 zx6r.. had loads of fun with the fuel pump and strainer etc
How did you work out it was the ECU ?
Is your Pump priming. The bike not pulling 100% ?
Most times its things like the t-bag filter inside the fuel pump assembly
Or the ground wire is bad on the base of the fuel pump
Or the kickstand switch..or or or or the 🙄 it can be tricky to troubleshoot.

Mine was running sweet until I changed my tank a week or two back.

Trying to clean up my old tank now and swap it back

Good luck mate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey man..
I've also got an 08 zx6r.. had loads of fun with the fuel pump and strainer etc
How did you work out it was the ECU ?
Is your Pump priming. The bike not pulling 100% ?
Most times its things like the t-bag filter inside the fuel pump assembly
Or the ground wire is bad on the base of the fuel pump
Or the kickstand switch..or or or or the 🙄 it can be tricky to troubleshoot.

Mine was running sweet until I changed my tank a week or two back.

Trying to clean up my old tank now and swap it back

Good luck mate
my bike wont even start. the pump doesnt want to prime. i still have not even removed the ecu from the bike. it looks like ill have to take part of the exhaust off just to get the ecu out which doesnt seem right. i connected the pump to the bike but left it out of the tank so i can hold it and feel if it runs and it buzzes for a quick second when i try to start the bike but its not enough. i really dont know what it is, my best guess though is ecu. the weirdest part is that it ran fine before i stored it for winter, but now something is messed up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been deep diving these kawi/zx/and ninja forums for a few months now trying to hunt down the root cause..
Its almost scary the amount of different things that cause bikes not to start.. 2nd to that is my problem.. bogging down where it feels like no gas gets through..
If your bike was stored for a while I can give you a list of things I've read .. ?
Not personal experience.. but at least a list of things that you work through?

First off is obviously Battery..

*resistor from the start button to ignition
*change your plugs or test them
*check coil packs
*swap your gas out /fresh gas
*clean air filter
*test fuel pump (this is often the culprit)
*clean/replace fuel strainer
*try bypass the kickstand switch
*check your tank venting
*check exhaust servo (I wouldn't have thought it was possible for this to cause a non starter)
*check the fuses

I was actually trying to help a dude in the UK out with an 02 636 which wouldn't start..
I googled "02 zx65r won't start" instead of 02 zx6r won't start .. but the typo actually brought up quite a shopping list of things that could cause a bike not to start..!

I would bet on the fuel filter/pump or spark plugs or battery being a dud before I bothered with the ECU..

Yeah could be a bad connection there.. but the other things are easier to rule out..

Hope you find the answer bud

(y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh before I forget..be very careful with priming a dry fuel pump. Apparently it can burn them out. I did it once and I wouldn't risk it again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh before I forget..be very careful with priming a dry fuel pump. Apparently it can burn them out. I did it once and I wouldn't risk it again
I agree with this.... i would see if i could borrow another fuel pump from someone if i were you....although that might not be easy.... ill also test to see with a mutlimeter if the fuel pump is getting the correct voltage from the relay box.....thats an easy test in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i did test the pump and its getting the right voltage. i know my battery is getting bad so lately ive been using a jump box thing that just hooks to the battery connections. i can hear the injectors sucking for gas when i try to start the bike. i did notice that the cables that connect to the valve in the exhaust were off the servo motor but all the electrical wires still were plugged in. I did try starting it with starting fluid and it tried turning over but didnt have gas to stay running.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does it run when you apply throttle though?? Evidently it won't idle.....still sounding like the pump dude.... It might prime and everything by the sounds of it but that doesn't mean its pumping the right volume of fuel..... Any luck with sourcing another pump to troubleshoot??

·
Registered
24 Posts
i did test the pump and its getting the right voltage. i know my battery is getting bad so lately ive been using a jump box thing that just hooks to the battery connections. i can hear the injectors sucking for gas when i try to start the bike. i did notice that the cables that connect to the valve in the exhaust were off the servo motor but all the electrical wires still were plugged in. I did try starting it with starting fluid and it tried turning over but didnt have gas to stay running.
What voltage is it getting.. did you test it on the terminals underneath the pump assembly?
I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly.. I've got a manual on slideshare on my mobile buts it a pain to use when it refreshes the page :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't say I know much about injected zx6s mones got caries. Have you tried aerostart or something similar. A good squirter into the intake will let you know if it's fuel or not. You really need a workshop manual. I'm sure someone here will give you a link. Then follow testing procedure. It might vibrate ect but till you hook it up to a hose you won't know. Even giving it a few taps might help. Well sring how I'm a bit out of my depth I'll leave my two cents worth at that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't say I know much about injected zx6s mones got caries. Have you tried aerostart or something similar. A good squirter into the intake will let you know if it's fuel or not. You really need a workshop manual. I'm sure someone here will give you a link. Then follow testing procedure. It might vibrate ect but till you hook it up to a hose you won't know. Even giving it a few taps might help. Well sring how I'm a bit out of my depth I'll leave my two cents worth at that.
Here's the link to the service manual guys!

[/URL]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts