Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a 2002 ZX-600J1.. However I'm a little confused on the model. So I thought it was a ZX6R, but when I put the VIN into my insurance company, they said it was a ZX-600J1. Also the title states that its a ZX-600-J1.

I'm not really to concerned with the exact model number, but when it comes to buying parts for the bike, I'm wondering what model parts I should be looking for. When I called up a shop looking for a 42 tooth rear sprocket kit, they couldn't find anything for the ZX-600, but they did have some stuff for the ZX6R.

So my question is basically which parts are interchangeable for my year / model when it comes to the ZX6r class of bikes?

Thanks guys!

-Erik

·
Registered
63 Posts
that year i think like 98-02 are the zx6j or zx6r the j's were the r's of that time. they also re-badged them to the zzr. when i buy parts i just go in and say an 01 zx6r and have had no problems. hope this helps

·
Registered
234 Posts
The ZX600J1 is the internal Kawasaki code for your model year of ZX-6R.

For example, the 2007 ZX-6R is coded as the ZX600P, and the 2005 Ninja 500R is the EX500D12.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So when I goto the shop, I can get parts for the ZX6R class and they will fit my 02 then?

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys!

-Erik

·
Registered
234 Posts
yes as long as the parts are for that year
Yeah this is key. Parts from the 98-02 and I believe the 05 and up ZZR-600 are the same, because they're all the same bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts