Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thought the small inline fours available overseas were really cool. Hoping this gets announced officially:

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,169 Posts

7,245 Posts
I was excited until I saw that it's 415 lbs and $9700. That, and it's got crap non-adjustable forks with Ninja 400 crap wheels. A steel swingarm FFS? This is near the cost of a 636 that has WAY better suspension, frame and wheels and only a few pounds heavier.

I was all wound up and ready to sell my 06 GSXR750 track bike when I heard about all this, pulling all the toys from the GSXR and putting them on the ZX4RR. I guess I'm keeping my GSXR. Plus it's 380 lbs wet with 138 RWHP. I wanted a smaller bike, but I can't bitch about what I have.

· Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was excited until I saw that it's 415 lbs and $9700. That, and it's got crap non-adjustable forks with Ninja 400 crap wheels. A steel swingarm FFS? This is near the cost of a 636 that has WAY better suspension, frame and wheels and only a few pounds heavier.

I was all wound up and ready to sell my 06 GSXR750 track bike when I heard about all this, pulling all the toys from the GSXR and putting them on the ZX4RR. I guess I'm keeping my GSXR. Plus it's 380 lbs wet with 138 RWHP. I wanted a smaller bike, but I can't bitch about what I have.
Yup, saw the 415 lbs and steel frame and was very disappointed. Still kicking it around because I think it'd be a blast, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

· Registered
5,169 Posts

Yup, saw the 415 lbs and steel frame and was very disappointed. Still kicking it around because I think it'd be a blast, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.
I'm waiting for one of the dealer's to get one in so I can see it in person before I consider it.

· Registered
5,169 Posts
Also, the weight doesn't deter me. It can't be any worse than the zx7 weight wise. It's the potential smiles/mile. I found it interesting that they chose a steel frame over a traditional aluminum one. But, steel should be more durable, right?

Reactions: mattv

· Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that it's going to be a fun bike, just conflicted about the price vs. what you get with the zx6r. Probably just going to wait and see some reviews, aftermarket parts, etc.

7,245 Posts
Steel is no more durable. Aluminum is more rigid, which is why you see so many bikes with frame cracking issues, but there are plenty of steel frame bikes that crack.

To me, the attraction of a small cc bike is being small and lightweight so you can throw it around. If it is the same weight as my GSXR, by the time you change the exhaust and track fairings (yet more money to sink), there is no reason for me to look futher. It would have to lose 35 lbs to catch my GSXR750, and with my recent changes (lighter forks and Marchesini magnesium wheels) I expect it to be lighter than my last weight at 380 with a full tank.

In addition, it's hard to argue that the 06 GSXR750 is the best all around middleweight bike ever made. Who knows if the ZX4RR will handle well.

If they don't sell well, Kawasaki will probably think that Americans just don't like little bikes. I think there is a market,l here, but this bike needs to be better at that price.

· Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The more I think about it the more I want it, despite the flaws. Wish it had a solid color option, the KRT is too flashy for me.

I had an RC-390 that I tricked out with nice suspension, piggyback ecu, exhuast, quickshifter, down 1 tooth in the front, etc. Single cylinder, 45hp stock. That was a very fun bike. 0-60 felt great, handled like a house fly.

I turned 40 yesterday, so maybe this will be my midlife crisis purchase 🤷‍♂️

The 6/10 are clearly better bikes for the money on paper, but @92Ninjas comment about smiles/miles is where my mind is at. Michigan roads are mostly straight and bumpy, not sure what I'd do with more hp other than lose my license.

Never done a track day, but it's on the list. Considering that, I'm sure the 400 would be more than enough for me.

Disappointed about the weight, yeah, but I'm also disappointed in my weight 😎.

7,245 Posts
It's one of the reasons I'm worried about my GSXR750. It has more power to weight ratio than my ZX12R, and that is after I pulled almost 100 lbs of the ZX12R. At least it's track only, so I don't have that to worry about. I did add traction to the GSXR, which should help.

· Registered
5,169 Posts
The more I think about it the more I want it, despite the flaws. Wish it had a solid color option, the KRT is too flashy for me.

I had an RC-390 that I tricked out with nice suspension, piggyback ecu, exhuast, quickshifter, down 1 tooth in the front, etc. Single cylinder, 45hp stock. That was a very fun bike. 0-60 felt great, handled like a house fly.

I turned 40 yesterday, so maybe this will be my midlife crisis purchase 🤷‍♂️

The 6/10 are clearly better bikes for the money on paper, but @92Ninjas comment about smiles/miles is where my mind is at. Michigan roads are mostly straight and bumpy, not sure what I'd do with more hp other than lose my license.

Never done a track day, but it's on the list. Considering that, I'm sure the 400 would be more than enough for me.

Disappointed about the weight, yeah, but I'm also disappointed in my weight 😎.
As long as the usual aftermarket mods are available. Like exhaust, air filter, and ECU flash; I would still want one. The other part of the equation is how do I fit on it? I'm comfortable on the gen2 10r and L model 7. I'm not too comfortable on the P model 7. The J model Ninja 250 (2009-2012) was comfortable. I haven't sat on a late model 400 or zx6r. Like I said before, I'm waiting for my local dealers to get one in so I can look at it and sit on it.

· Registered
5,169 Posts
Steel is no more durable. Aluminum is more rigid, which is why you see so many bikes with frame cracking issues, but there are plenty of steel frame bikes that crack.

To me, the attraction of a small cc bike is being small and lightweight so you can throw it around. If it is the same weight as my GSXR, by the time you change the exhaust and track fairings (yet more money to sink), there is no reason for me to look futher. It would have to lose 35 lbs to catch my GSXR750, and with my recent changes (lighter forks and Marchesini magnesium wheels) I expect it to be lighter than my last weight at 380 with a full tank.

In addition, it's hard to argue that the 06 GSXR750 is the best all around middleweight bike ever made. Who knows if the ZX4RR will handle well.

If they don't sell well, Kawasaki will probably think that Americans just don't like little bikes. I think there is a market,l here, but this bike needs to be better at that price.
I think if Kawasaki came down on the price, it would be more attractive. How much do you think this bike should cost?

7,245 Posts
Price is a just a last straw. I'm not interested in a bike that poorly outfitted. I can easily deal with the steel frame. A steel swingarm? What is this an SV? Crap forks and crap wheels too? By the time I'm done with it, I'd only be keeping the frame, electrical and fueling. The price just makes it funny.

· Registered
5,169 Posts
Price is a just a last straw. I'm not interested in a bike that poorly outfitted. I can easily deal with the steel frame. A steel swingarm? What is this an SV? Crap forks and crap wheels too? By the time I'm done with it, I'd only be keeping the frame, electrical and fueling. The price just makes it funny.
Put a turbo on it?

· Registered
492 Posts
After witnessing the sportbike decline after the 2008 depression era and the emissions crackdown, I am just glad they are still releasing new bikes. If that means some people are required to modify to meet their standards, or have to take a longer loan to get the latest offering, I think it's worth it. They could just stop releasing anything and we are stuck with limited replacement parts for aging machinery.

Would I like to see the 2 year upgrade cycles of the 80's and 90's? Hell ya. Until racing becomes affordable to spark another golden age then I will take whatever comes down the line. I am biased because I remember brand new sportbikes for 5.5k. And not just one, all manufactures had something to offer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts