Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Muzzys is the first to offer a Steering Damper solution for the ZX-14. The race quality damper unit features a speed sensing design which changes damping resistance based on the rate of movement. This allows for normal light steering at low speed where larger steering inputs are used while providing a higher damping force when required at high speed. Fully adjustable, 22 levels of damping are available for a perfect feel in any condition. The nitrogen filled damper resists foaming of the damping fluid and gives a constant feel regardless of temperature. The hard chrome shaft resists corrosion.

The black anodized mounting hardware is CNC machined from aluminum billet and very simply bolts to the chassis. In addition, a hinged fork clamp is incorporated for quick and easy installation without dropping the fork tube. Highest quality hardware is used throughout. Installation requires no special tools and takes less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The price seems a little high, I'm waiting to see what else is aval.
Nice unit, Like to see what Ohlins has to offer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the installation of this damper will be affected by having a set of helibar risers already installed on the bike. I just don`t want to order this damper only to find that it is incompatable with the helibar pieces. Thanks.
Ed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I must ask this; being a newbie rider and all, but since Kawasaki did not place a steering stabilizer on it from the factory, does the ZX14 really need one or benifit from it that much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Ted, To try and answer your question as to the benefit of having a damper,I`m taking the approach that it probably isn`t an imperative part to have,but if it potentially makes my `14 a little bit safer as far as always having as much control as I can,...I feel that this is a good thing ! But I definetly can see your point.

Ed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 10 didn't come with a stabilizer, but I'm willing to bet it's decidedly one of the most neccessary upgrades for the 04-05's. Once you get one, you'll realize what a difference it makes in your cornering confidence, especially on undulating road surface.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well,... I have taken "THE PLUNGE",... A new M-10 GP STYLE MUZZY PIPE, Muzzy steering damper, Muzzy power commander,and "HELIBAR RISERS" on their way to me. I guess it isn`t so bad bad once you get past the money part(SOB,SOB,SNIFFLE,SNIFFLE). But as my good pal mike always says to me And I quote "It`s only a money thing SHUDDUP AND PAY !!!" LMAO. A foot of snow in the back yard -8 degrees fahrenheit ,only 4 months till ridin` season,...WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like the dampers and have one on every bike. I owned over 6 Hayabusa's in the last 6 years and layed a few down because of them going into tank slappers. Not a pleasent feeling. All my bikes will always have a damper on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
you may be lucky and never be in a situation that requires the damper... but if it saves you even once, then it's worth it~

it's kinda like wearing gear... if you never crash, good for you... but if you do.. and you're not wearing gear.. sux to be you~

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well,... I have taken "THE PLUNGE",... A new M-10 GP STYLE MUZZY PIPE, Muzzy steering damper, Muzzy power commander,and "HELIBAR RISERS" on their way to me. I guess it isn`t so bad bad once you get past the money part(SOB,SOB,SNIFFLE,SNIFFLE). But as my good pal mike always says to me And I quote "It`s only a money thing SHUDDUP AND PAY !!!" LMAO. A foot of snow in the back yard -8 degrees fahrenheit ,only 4 months till ridin` season,...WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You put them on yet with the risers Fast Eddie? Let us know, I'm eye-balling this dampener as well and kicking around the idea of some risers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put on the muzzy pipe,the power commander,then I put the risers on ,tried to install the damper,BUT,... I having a clearance problem with the damper shaft when the bars are fully turned to the right,and a damper body clearance problem when the bars are fully turned to the left.It`s probably something that I`m doing wrong, or just plain missing during the install.Once I figure it out fully I`ll let you all know.I`m going out to the garage right now to re-assemble the fairing ,I`ll keep ya posted.(By the way that M-10 muzzy pipe sure is LOUD!!!. The motor breathes better now,RPMS are even more "INSTANT"if you can believe that.Idle to 9 grand RIGHT NOW!!!!
Ed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I put on the muzzy pipe,the power commander,then I put the risers on ,tried to install the damper,BUT,... I having a clearance problem with the damper shaft when the bars are fully turned to the right,and a damper body clearance problem when the bars are fully turned to the left.It`s probably something that I`m doing wrong, or just plain missing during the install.Once I figure it out fully I`ll let you all know.I`m going out to the garage right now to re-assemble the fairing ,I`ll keep ya posted.(By the way that M-10 muzzy pipe sure is LOUD!!!. The motor breathes better now,RPMS are even more "INSTANT"if you can believe that.Idle to 9 grand RIGHT NOW!!!!
Ed.

Got anything to do with the risers?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tried to re-install the risers(spent over 2 hours trying different things),but I can`t seem to get anywhere near the clearance needed. I took the risers off again,put the damper back on and its fine. I think that with a little persuasion,namely marking the risers where they are touching and taking a die grinder to them,I can`t see this combo as being a straightforward installation.I put the bike back in the shed,and as it won`t be out until May sometime I have some time to think about it and come up with something.

Ed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is there by any chance it could be mounted sideways i.e. near the radiator or something? Like for my previous ZX-9R, it was placed on the left side of the fairing linking straight to the left bar. Just a thought though, dunno if it's relevant or not...

·
Registered
33 Posts
you may be lucky and never be in a situation that requires the damper... but if it saves you even once, then it's worth it~

it's kinda like wearing gear... if you never crash, good for you... but if you do.. and you're not wearing gear.. sux to be you~
On the zx-14 i have found no need for a damper unlike my R1.
Can you discribe a situation that requires it?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts