Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone elses' 14 seem like it goes into first a little too hard? I spoke with the dealer, and they said that it was the nature of the bike, but he did say that mine went into first harder than any of the others that he has seen.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does anyone elses' 14 seem like it goes into first a little too hard? I spoke with the dealer, and they said that it was the nature of the bike, but he did say that mine went into first harder than any of the others that he has seen.
Dealer BS. My 14 was smooth as silk. Have another mechanic check it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
What kind of oil are you using? While my bike was using Motul 1000, it emits a loud clunkt in first gear then i switched to Motul 300V and the clunkt just went away. Sometimes it comes back but a soft one that is...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I concur.

:headscratch My experience has been that when the engine is cool (first shift of the day) first gear engages quite smoothly...BUT, subsequent shifts into first gear (when the bike is not moving) are a bit vocal. When shifting into first while moving...not a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
slam into 1st

check your RPM, make sure at idle your only 1000 to 1,100. Any higher it will bang into gear.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have found mine to be very sensitive to the rpm at which you engage at, anything over 1200 and it does seem to hit a little hard but if I let it warm up till the second temp bar is on and let it throttle down to the 1000 to 1100 range it is (mostly) smoother but I have to say I still find it shifts hard into the lower gears sometimes, other times it's smooth as silk. Also check your clutch lever adjustment had mine set up for two finger pull and caught myself cheatin it a bit and not pullin it in all the way. when I pulled it back to the bar it seemed to make smoother shifts. Don't have the same feel for it as the mechanical sytem on the old FJ 1200 I'm used to over the last 14 years. Old habits die hard!:bonk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 06ZX10R and I noticed the same thing.Im sitting at a light and when I push down into first the bike actually moves from the shift!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It does not hit first gear hard when I am coming DOWN through the gears...only whenever I drop it into first from NEUTRAL. Over time, it seems to have gotten a little better. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the way my Gold Wing used to shift.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When i engage 1st gear when its cold are rough but when up to temp it get a lot smoother.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the bike is hot, I just pull in the clutch and start it in gear and don't go to N during lights. Sometimes if I keep the clutch in long enough, the primary shaft will finally stop spinning and let it "click" in instead of "banging" in.

I use Kaw full syn oil with 3000 miles on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how about this? anyone else notice that while you shift up through the gears, the less you squeeze the clutch, and the higher rpm you shift at, it's much smoother?

·
Registered
80 Posts
mine clunks pretty good, but i don't think it's a big deal. almost every sportbike i have been on has done this.

also, yes, my bike shifts MUCH smoother when the rpms are around 7k.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that makes me feel better. least i know it's not just mine. i rode my dad's concourse 14 the other day, and it was unbelievable smooth at any rpm. has the same engine, just geared different and is shaft-driven.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts