Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all

Been drag racing yesterday again, performs fantastic after I tuned the bike with lots of extras..

However, I end up having 186mph top speed, and tacho doesn't go into red zone. I have been advised to purchase SpeedoHealer, which will "fool" the ECU, and bike will reach higher speeds.

Costs 100$ about, wonder if there any other ways to get limitation out from bike? Or Speedohealer is must to have?

Another thing is, will it damage my engine if I keep rpms at red zone for long riding...

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
Speedohealer only re-calibrates your speedometer to make up for factory error and gearing changes. Nothing to do with the top speed limitation-that's inside the ECU.

How far can you ride over there at 186? Running at redline for long periods will definitely shorten your engine's service life.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Speedohealer only re-calibrates your speedometer to make up for factory error and gearing changes. Nothing to do with the top speed limitation-that's inside the ECU.

How far can you ride over there at 186? Running at redline for long periods will definitely shorten your engine's service life.
+1 for top speed runs you need a Bonneville pro or something similar witch can delimit the top speed. If you need to go at speeds above 186 for long periods of time , have you considered an airplane ? A Learjet cruises st about 550 mph that should do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gets stuck at exatcly 186mph, and around 10,800rpm. Even when I'm on 1, 2, 3 gears it does not go beyon 11000 rpm.

Yes, Speedohealer fools the ECU, saying that "I'm not at 11000rpm", so it goes to red zone.

I think during drag racing for shot periods in red line it will not do too much damage?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bonneville does exact same thing as Speedohealer, right? Read about this in forums. Electronically aren't they have same function?

I've been "riding" MIG29, so Learjet is a bit too slow for me :))

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
You can get past 186 with a Speedo healer but you will not be able to tell what speed you are actually going because you will have to make the Speedo lie to the ecu . At that point you might as well go the really cheap rout and grind two of the lugs off of the countershaft sprocket nut witch is where the speed sensor reads from then you can go as fast as the wind will allow. With the Bonneville pro you can keep your Speedo and still get past 186. As far as redline goes you can hit it for short periods with no ill effect but most engines make peak power below redline so what's the point?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Use a GPS to verify your actual speed and calibrate your speedometer.
Take a photo of your top speed with a tank cam or helmet cam and post it.

Kawis are tough bikes. They'll take lots of abuse as long as they are well maintained. Running at 180+ on a regular basis is just like roadracing. You should be changing the oil/filter and lubing the chain much more often. The rear tire won't last long at all.:smile

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can get past 186 with a Speedo healer but you will not be able to tell what speed you are actually going because you will have to make the Speedo lie to the ecu . At that point you might as well go the really cheap rout and grind two of the lugs off of the countershaft sprocket nut witch is where the speed sensor reads from then you can go as fast as the wind will allow. With the Bonneville pro you can keep your Speedo and still get past 186. As far as redline goes you can hit it for short periods with no ill effect but most engines make peak power below redline so what's the point?
Speedohealer claims (ebay add...) that it sends accurate siqnals etc...so my speedometer will read correct. Don't have it yet, will investigate more before I purchase. Also, Jeffo (the guy who does maps for PCV, did mine for fifty bucks..) suggested it highly. I will search on Bonnevile.

You are right, most engines IN STOCK will produce max power below red line. With increaed power on my ZX, I have +2000 rpms to go, so will probably add another 30-40 kmh.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually drive around 140-200kmh (88-125mph). Hitting 186+mph occurs seldom, and max for 2-3 minutes, as there are not very straigt and free roads here. Always lots of cars.. I change oil every 5000km (3,100mi).

I will post a link here from my helmet cam, just editing it. It contains all the starts and endings from the drag race :))

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I was under the impression that setting the speedohealer to some absurdly inaccurate number does in fact bypass the speed limiter on many bikes, specifically the 14, I don't know.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
I was under the impression that setting the speedohealer to some absurdly inaccurate number does in fact bypass the speed limiter on many bikes, specifically the 14, I don't know.
that's the way I understand it. You just program numbers into the sh to make the ecu think it's going slower.
Basically takes the speedo out of commission so you would need a gps to read actual speed.

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
I was under the impression that the rpm was limited in top gear. His experience seems to bear this out. Road speed would not matter, only engine speed. Gearing up wouldn't really help as it would make the engine pull less hard and defeat the purpose without other mods to make up some top-end hp. More and more I am hearing about ECU reflashes as a way to unleash more top gear rpm.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Heres what I did with my bike, bike info listed under my name

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I was under the impression that the rpm was limited in top gear. His experience seems to bear this out. Road speed would not matter, only engine speed. Gearing up wouldn't really help as it would make the engine pull less hard and defeat the purpose without other mods to make up some top-end hp. More and more I am hearing about ECU reflashes as a way to unleash more top gear rpm.
Well, if he is limited to 186.. That is a speed limiter, not an RPM limit.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
I'm too lazy to find the article but I've heard there's a soft rev limiter before the actual rev limiter kicks in at 11,500.
A stock 14 is going to struggle either way at redline or getting past 186mph
somefun has quite an extensive list of mods to his 14 and only got 190mph with a head wind.
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-14-forum/59121-200mph-here-we-come.html

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
right, read around all articles now, got mixed up with different views now...some says it will work, some says it still stays at 186mph...

I think I'm going order it, regardless...only 116$.. if it will not work, I'll just refund it.hopefully

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here ya go, with actual edited drag video :) although it has evaluation coppy sign below...who cares..did not find any free programs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLinrXnGXpg&feature=youtu.be

Buy the way, ordered Speedohealer. Should arrive in 10 days or so to Baku. Will let you know the outcome of installation and if I'm able to pass 186mph limit...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ultimate winner, the ZX14 so far :)

waiting for some more guys to show up in drag. They are getting prepared :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts