Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 ZX-14 in blue :scared of course and have noticed since about 3K miles I have a very noticable tick between 2,500 and about 4,500RPMs. It sounds like it might be valves ticking, but I have no idea. The bike only has 7K miles on it and it was broken in according to the manual. I ran non-synthetic oil during the break-in and at 4K switched to Redline Synthetic. The bike has always shifted a bit clunky, but coming off of years of riding cruisers, I figured this was normal.

Anyone else have the clunky shifting and/or the ticking? and if so, any ideas on how to eliminate them? I have read a few ZX-14 owners are going to Motul V, could Redline be the wrong oil for the 14 or are these items "standard" for Kawasaki and very normal?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Mark

·
Registered
444 Posts
Both are common. A lot of people complain about the ticking noises, and everyone says it's normal. Kawi engines are famous for it. As for the shifting, on my 10r (which is also an '07 and blue) :crazyloco , shifting from neutral to 1st and 1st to 2nd is rather clunky, after that I shift clutchless which drastically reduces it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The ticking noise!!!! If I were you I wouldnt worry about it too much.
The reason I'm saying it because those with the engine ticking blew up in the first 600 miles(check the threads) It's just your valves working. As for clunky shifting: Kawis were never known for their smooth transmission!!
Perhaps to be on the safe side take it to the dealer and have them check it out
(they'll say its normal) and just have them document it for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I believe a lot of guys on the ZX14 take out the secondary throttle valves and apparently it makes a huge difference on low to medium pull!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies

Glad to hear this is common noise and no I don't ride at 2500RPMs generally more like 4500 unless its highway in 6th.

I really have no need to go faster so taking the secondaries out is not on my to do list, but I respect the hell out of you guys who do take them out and can actually ride the bike regularly at the speeds this unleashes.:crazyloco

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a '05 10r and the ticking is very common thing among these as well. It may very well be the cam chain you are hearing. The Kawasaki cam chain tensioner spring is very soft and doesn't allow the auto adjustment, in turn the cam chain never gets adjusted. The trick to the 10r is putting it in 5th (WITH THE BIKE OFF) and push it backwards about 4-8 feet. This will adjust it back with no harm to the motor. I have done this along with dozens of others, with proof that it works. The other option would be taking the tensioner out and adjusting it manually or put a aftermarket one back in. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Don't worry bro. The ticking noise is normal for kawa bikes. After changing my oil to Motul 300V, the ticking was reduced significally and shifting to first gear was 'softer'. I've use that particular oil on all my previous bikes and it performed exceptionally well. maybe you should give it a try...

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Running Castrol GTX always have will probably switch to Mobil 1 next read a good thread here on it. I get a very slight tick in my 07 BLUE 14 at times but 90 % of the time she's pretty quite my FJ1200 is ten times louder it's done it since new in 93 so I don't think it's a prob. hear the occassional ticks from the butterflies also but it doesn't change with engine rpm you can generally hear the difference. But as stated by others any doubts ride it by your dealer and get it documented for future reference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The ticking you hear is the tip over sensor behind the instrument panel. I got a 07 14. I got her in May. June I had her in the shop for the same thing. They had to wrap the tip over sensor in a cloth. Not technicle but it works. If you remove your windscreen the sensor sits behing the instrument panel. it is a unibody constructed sensor on a mounting bracket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have read the responses from the other guys. No direspect to any of you. Just try wrapping that sensor behind the windscreen. It took my dealership 5 days to figure that problem out. It rattles like crazy at about 3,000 rpm. I got 11,300 miles on my bike. I have had a lot of shop time on my bike. This was the first issue I took to my dealer. Kawasaki told the dealership it was normal. Their normal was a poorly constructed tip over sensor.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Amen to the tip over sensor drove me nuts and I Knew what it was since I installed my Leds bumped it a couple times and said How am I gonna get ride of that thing! It is truly annoying, I hate the rattles!!!:rant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts