Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You All, have 2500 miles on my zx 14 and for most of this time, a burning odor comes up from under the handle bars. Dealer can't figure it out. Sometimes smells like burning resisitor, at earlier times burning clutch. Detected within 30 seconds after start. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
If it smalls that soon after starting check to see if there isn't some foreign body (or small mammal) or debris caught up in the exhaust pipes.

If it's electrical check the state of wiring but in theory anything electrical should blow a fuse.

To be honest the dealer should be trying a bit harder to find the cause as it's a new bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not something like that conservationstuff the use for shipment that stayed behind for instance on the headers?

Smells terrible, just try it spray some wd 40 on your headers and compare the whiff it's:puke

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had the same smell everyonce and a while. I think it is gone for good though. It does smell electrical. I had an SV that made the same smell when it burned up some wiring. I can't figure it out either. It only did it on the first day I took it out and rode it harder.

I used to chase "ghosts" on my older bike all the time-ticks, smells, you name it. I finally had to just let it be. If it surfaces so be it but if not no harm done.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a burning smell too..except I figured out from where...its due to excess oil I place on my chain being shot up onto some hot exhaust portion of the beast...

·
Registered
498 Posts
You All, have 2500 miles on my zx 14 and for most of this time, a burning odor comes up from under the handle bars. Dealer can't figure it out. Sometimes smells like burning resisitor, at earlier times burning clutch. Detected within 30 seconds after start. Any thoughts? Thanks
Don't know if it's relevant or not, but i've read somewhere that one of our zx-14 colleague had the same problem. It turns out that the position of the radiator fan was slightly offset and it grinded itself to the housing/radiator body. Check your fan, maybe that's what making it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts