Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been shopping around for insurance, again, and this bike does not appear, as of today, listed in their records yet and this fact seems to be an important issue when determining an insurance quote. With Motorcycle license and 30+ years of experience, and no tickets, as soon as you tell them “it’s a Ninja” (gasp), super sport (double gasp) and 1352 cc’s, all alarms go off. Adding a minor incident almost a year ago (my fault) with my car, might as well forget about it. Progressive quoted me with full coverage with $500 deductible, at over $6,000.00, yes not a typo, $6K+ for 12 months. GEICO did a bit better and quoted me $2,400, Mercury wants almost $2,100, Farmers would not even touch me. Allstate does not provide coverage for motorcycles anymore; they relate you to “other” agents. “Their” source wants over $3,000. Persistent as I am, I continued shopping and this time two other quotes came, and the lowest I can get now is for $145 a month. This is from an agent with over “100 sources”; I am still awaiting a formal copy of this quote. All quotes with $15K-$30K limits; one provides gear and accessory coverage. A $1K deductible helps a bit but not much.

The only solution is pay cash for the beast ($13.5K OTD here in Calif.) get liability only and pray it does not get stolen, or worse, crash. Oddly enough, Progressive quoted me $160 a year for liability only. I guess I’ll continue driving my 400+ HP Cobra with premium gas, it’s cheaper.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ouch. And they wonder why more people drive without insurance.

Up here in the north, with State Farm, and with an 06' 10R I'm paying $80/month for full coverage.

Not trying to rub it in....

...and when you add in health care, does it really matter if we can't carry guns up here?? LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Look into State Farm or Country insurance for your best rates. Look into State Farm for your best rates + service. :p

I'm biast though. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dont know how much this will help you but Im paying $150/month for full coverage on my 05 ZX6R through progressive. When I wrecked the insurance company sent a guy out the day after it happened and did an estimate for me and cut me a check the same day. I have had nothing but good luck with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
RE: Insurance

I'm paying about $560/year for my ZX14 through USAA. If you are in the military or are the sone of someone who was an officer, you can get USAA. It's by far the cheapest around and their service is incredible. I've had them for 20 years.

--Charlie

·
Registered
33 Posts
DaveMK2 said:
Dont know how much this will help you but Im paying $150/month for full coverage on my 05 ZX6R through progressive. When I wrecked the insurance company sent a guy out the day after it happened and did an estimate for me and cut me a check the same day. I have had nothing but good luck with them.

Dave State Farm clients pay anywhere from $20-60 a month for full coverage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Up here in the north country I would have been paying about 1700.00 Canadian a year for full coverage. The bank I financed through didn't have any regs for insurance, it was up to me what coverage I wanted to put on the bike. PLPD was 185.00 a year, collison was 550.00 and comp. was 960.00. The other option they gave me was"specified perials" witch covers fire and thieft, this was 540.00. This is what I went with. The "specified perials" plus the compulsary PLPD brought my insurance to about 760.00 a year. So ask about "specified perials" what do you need collision for anyway??? If you pull a stupid and crash your bike you deserve to pay out of your own pocket! Thats just my opinion EH!

·
Registered
6 Posts
waltman said:
I had been shopping around for insurance, again, and this bike does not appear, as of today, listed in their records yet and this fact seems to be an important issue when determining an insurance quote. With Motorcycle license and 30+ years of experience, and no tickets, as soon as you tell them “it’s a Ninja” (gasp), super sport (double gasp) and 1352 cc’s, all alarms go off. Adding a minor incident almost a year ago (my fault) with my car, might as well forget about it. Progressive quoted me with full coverage with $500 deductible, at over $6,000.00, yes not a typo, $6K+ for 12 months. GEICO did a bit better and quoted me $2,400, Mercury wants almost $2,100, Farmers would not even touch me. Allstate does not provide coverage for motorcycles anymore; they relate you to “other” agents. “Their” source wants over $3,000. Persistent as I am, I continued shopping and this time two other quotes came, and the lowest I can get now is for $145 a month. This is from an agent with over “100 sources”; I am still awaiting a formal copy of this quote. All quotes with $15K-$30K limits; one provides gear and accessory coverage. A $1K deductible helps a bit but not much.

The only solution is pay cash for the beast ($13.5K OTD here in Calif.) get liability only and pray it does not get stolen, or worse, crash. Oddly enough, Progressive quoted me $160 a year for liability only. I guess I’ll continue driving my 400+ HP Cobra with premium gas, it’s cheaper.
$51 a month for full coverage form State Farm and I live in Baton Rouge!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I pay $23/mo for full coverage on my '06 ZX10-R through State Farm. That's 34 yrs old, clean record, multi-policy discount, and an Iowa zip code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i pay 78usd/mo full coverage thru state farm. had the same prob as you with progressive told them they were nuts . and didnt want my money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here in Nebraska progressive wanted 1300 for the year, State farm was 396 for the year so I pay 33 bucks a month full coverage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For me...In sacramento California....the lowest Full Coverage Ins with ultra hi limits and a 250 deduct will cost me 120 a month...thats thru farmers..
The INS dude says it would be much les if it was paid off for, but since I plan on financing all 13K of it,,,INS will cost me...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm in Illinois and I pay $106.00 for a full year of liability coverage. I do know that state farm will not insure a bike unless you have at least 1 car also insured through them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2007 ZX 14 through State Farm is $325 full coverage per year, $250 deductable.

Im 32 years old I have 1 other cycle and 3 auto's with them, clean record.
Im in MN

·
Registered
77 Posts
1 more for State Farm. My 636 got stolen in July, got it paid off and a check for the difference (Sept 19th - my b-day - because of paperwork having to do with theft as opposed to an accident). My rate is really reasonable. I'm 21, clean record, and pay $65/mo for full coverage on my 10, despite it being financed. Though I don't think that should affect it in any way.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i'll add another + for state farm.

this is liability for 98 ZX6r and full coverage for '07 GSXR6 (one at fault accident 3 years ago, and my wife and i have taken the MSF course):
progressive (through USAA) = $5,000 / year (they require 3 years motorcycle endorsement in california before the discount)
geico = $1,800 / year (they require 1 year motorcycle endorsement in california before the discount)
all state = forget it
state farm = $400 / year (they don't care about your experience, only if you have your endorsement)

needless to say i went w/ state farm.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts