Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I've got my D1, never gave to much attention to my tires, just looked they were good tread left, but today I've noticed my rear tire has some advise " for racing purpose only" "not for highway use". Well, I've been using it on streets and roads with no issue but my question now is ¿what makes that tire not good for street use? ¿what would happen if used on highways?

I'm looking for new tires now on ebay and there´s a lot to choose from, as is my first set of tires for a big motorcycle, I want to ask to all of you which brand and model of tire is the best for my ZX-11 D1 and my driving which is mostly at moderated speed, very few high acceleration and hopefully good performance in wet road and decent long last because I've heard those tires just last about 5000 miles, that very few for me as they cost double price because shipping and taxes to my country.

·
Registered
682 Posts
In the USA, that can mean simply that the tire did not go thru DOT(dept. of transportation) approval. It can also indicate a different construction that may have it react poorly to pot holes and other real world road surfaces.The tire in the pics looks like a common tire and nothing racy at all. What brand is it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My rear tire is Dunlop Radial Sportmax 195/70/17 made in England. It has falled trough a 5000 pot holes as this city is the nest of those, the front tire is Michelin Pilot Power but too low profile 120/60/17, it makes the suspension very hard and poor performance in pot holes.

For my new tires, I've been looking and Metzeler M5 Sportec has my attention, anyone has used these tires? are they good?

·
Registered
108 Posts
i have the exact tires on my zx11D that your looking at! M5 Sporttec and i love them! i had the m3s on before this set and i liked those but these tires flat out rail corners! it is extremely easy to control the bike and throw it around. i love Metzeler tires its all i run on both of my rockets

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Bridgestone S20Fs!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Few days ago I was bidding on Ebay auction for a Pirelli Diablo Rosso 190/50/17 rear tire but someone else won, today I've got an email from Ebay saying the other guy cancelled his bid and some hours later I won, so now I have this tire that probably I will resale here in my city as the local price is about 300 usd and might earn 50-70 usd.

However I would like to know if any of you have info about this kind of Pirelli tires, is it worth to keep it for my bike?

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
The Michelin 2Ct tires are awesome on my 11.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't know how good is the Pirelli Diablo Rosso (surely not bad), but the 190/50 size is not the best for the Zx11. I had a rear of that size and I can tell you that the standard 180/55 size gives you better handling.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok Viktor, then I will sale the Pirelli and then go for the Metzeler M5 Sportec tire set on stock size for the ZX-11

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
ok Viktor, then I will sale the Pirelli and then go for the Metzeler M5 Sportec tire set on stock size for the ZX-11
I prefer Pirelli/Metzeler myself. I like Michelins, but I prefer the glued to the road feeling I get with the Metzeler K2s. Michelins do steer quicker. I haven't personally run the M5s, but they would be on the top of my A list if I had to have a tire that had excellent dry and wet performance.
Tread life is supposed to be better than average also. I think the reason Metzelers aren't as popular as Michelins or Dunlops is the price. Metzeler just doesn't sell their tires for dirt cheap. Pirelli doesn't give their stuff away either.

Stock tire size is almost always better. I wonder how the 190/55 profile would work on the eleven. It works extremely well on the 14.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power here. 120/180 set. Grippy as hell, but I'm still getting railed on by the boys because I have a little bit of chicken strip (about 3/16" worth) up front. I'd go further, but that would mean putting a knee closer to the pavement than I care to do in armored jeans. :)

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
I prefer Pirelli/Metzeler myself. I like Michelins, but I prefer the glued to the road feeling I get with the Metzeler K2s. Michelins do steer quicker. I haven't personally run the M5s, but they would be on the top of my A list if I had to have a tire that had excellent dry and wet performance.
Tread life is supposed to be better than average also. I think the reason Metzelers aren't as popular as Michelins or Dunlops is the price. Metzeler just doesn't sell their tires for dirt cheap. Pirelli doesn't give their stuff away either.

Stock tire size is almost always better. I wonder how the 190/55 profile would work on the eleven. It works extremely well on the 14.
The rim isn't wide enough for a 190 so the tire will be too tall. Handling will be worse.
180 on the rear works really well. You should shouldn't go wider than that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been running the Metzler M3's on front and back now for 10k miles and don't think I would switch to anything else except maybe try the M5's.

I had the Pilot Power 2's, Dunlops, etc. and the Metzelers just give me more confidence int he corners and wear well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
were's the best place to buy on the east coast of USA....im in georgia

i thought about cheapcycleparts.com since there on the east coast,instead of bikebandit.com there on the west coast.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bridgestone bt-0016 pro's i have found to work best for me, i ride aggressive and hard, do alot of twisties in the mountains as well as commute to work everyday, tried a stickier tire but they wear to quick and these tires have no problem holding at high speeds or through the turns, i have no chicken strips on the tires and never had a problem with traction, cant say much on in the rain cause unless it rains on way home from work i dont ride in the rain

·
Registered
396 Posts
were's the best place to buy on the east coast of USA....im in georgia

i thought about cheapcycleparts.com since there on the east coast,instead of bikebandit.com there on the west coast.

I've gotten good prices here lately;

http://www.jakewilson.com/

I was surprised when I saw the price, then free shipping on the tires too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts