Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm having a little trouble diagnosing my problem with my 93 zx-11! The problem is starting the bike after I ride it for a while! When I put the bike in the garage over night or even a couple of days without starting I pull the choke down an it starts right up no problems! The problem is after I ride it I try and start it up 5...10...20 mins later and it does not start until I let it sit for about 45 minutes! What could be my problem? I took the bike in and had the carbs cleaned recently! If that helps narrow it down! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi

Check your valve clearence / they are probably too tight

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I was thinking slightly lean pilot circuit. Do you use the enrichener (choke) to start when cold? Hot may be making it too lean. Hope you find it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking slightly lean pilot circuit. Do you use the enrichener (choke) to start when cold? Hot may be making it too lean. Hope you find it!
Well I use the upper choke! Are you referring to the switch that's on the left side under the seat?...this is the process when I start the bike cold! I pull the upper choke all the way down and start the bike! it starts right up! When it starts the RPM's jump to like 4000. Then I adjust the choke about halfway up. The idling lowers to around 3000 RPM's. If I put the choke all the way up the bike idles almost towards the point of shut off! I ride it with the choke halfway. After a while I put it all the way up and the bike is fine! I'll stop somewhere and the bike will not turn on unless I let either sit or push start it!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Too Lean....check plug color...

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
try upping your idle. Thats the screw under the seat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update on my problem! Well The idle screw isn't the problem! I'm gonna check the plugs this weekend! Right now I cannot even run in the store for like 5 minutes! The only way I can start the bike after its been running for more then 10 minutes is by push starting it! If I push start it it'll start! If I don't then it will just turn over but not start! Also when the choke is all the way up it will idle kinda low after I come to a stop! Almost to the point to where it will turn off! Today it actually shut off on me after it was on for almost 25 mins! Hope this can help for some more opinions on what the problem could possibly be!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do use the choke when I start it cold! As it gets warm I push it up slowly if I put it all the way up then the bike will idle real low almost to the point of shut off. So basically I have to ride the bike with the choke like halfway down!

·
Registered
94 Posts
then it would be lean so either something plugged up in the carbs but i belive that you said you cleaned the carbs so i would look for a vaccum leak somewhere either on the intake boots or vaccum line

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
then it would be lean so either something plugged up in the carbs but i belive that you said you cleaned the carbs so i would look for a vaccum leak somewhere either on the intake boots or vaccum line
Yeah the carbs were recently cleaned! I was thinking of a possible ecu problem also! I will check for a vacuum leak also!!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I do use the choke when I start it cold! As it gets warm I push it up slowly if I put it all the way up then the bike will idle real low almost to the point of shut off. So basically I have to ride the bike with the choke like halfway down!
Sounds to lean to me.... Let me guess, ONE MONTH LATER, & you STILL havent check the plug color have you?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys I barely had enough time before class to pull one plug out! This is what I got! These pictures are all of the same plug! They need replacing!

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Well you should definitely replace those plugs. Another thing I would try is to open the gas cap and then try starting it. If you have two keys, open the cap and if it starts, let it run like that for a minute.

Your vent in the cap could be plugged and not letting gas flow. Worth a try.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well you should definitely replace those plugs. Another thing I would try is to open the gas cap and then try starting it. If you have two keys, open the cap and if it starts, let it run like that for a minute.

Your vent in the cap could be plugged and not letting gas flow. Worth a try.
Great Ill definatley give it a try! I do have one question about the switch that is right under the tank on the left side! What is the proper way that this switch is supposed to be used? The guy I bought the bike from said that it may need to be replaced! I know that the bottom of the switch reads ON, then the side towards the front of the bike (left side) reads OFF then the very top reads RES then the side towards the bike (right side) reads FUEL! My switch only goes from On, OFF, and RES the FUEL side doesnt allow the pointer go to that side. Just want to be sure that its not supposed to go to the FUEL side! Im pretty sure its just there for reference! Below is a layout of the tank and the part I'm referring to is the lower left side of the picture that is labeled C

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
The selector switch/knob is supposed to be in the "ON" position. The "Fuel" is just there for reference.

If you aren't able to move it to Res, then it may have been rebuilt and put back together incorrectly??

I wouldn't take it apart though without having a repair kit handy just in case the diaphragm is torn or something else is shot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The selector switch/knob is supposed to be in the "ON" position. The "Fuel" is just there for reference.

If you aren't able to move it to Res, then it may have been rebuilt and put back together incorrectly??

I wouldn't take it apart though without having a repair kit handy just in case the diaphragm is torn or something else is shot.
Great thanks alot! If possible could you explain exactly what it does? Also I have mine set on RES! Could that be contributing to my start up problem?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts