Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the standard c/s and rear sprocket size on a 97 zx11, mine seems a bit low geared and may have been changed before I got it. Also what rpms should it turn at 60 mph with std. gears. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I went with the stock front 17t and replaced the rear with 48t..nice combo..first gear is a wee bit short but now can hit red line in sixth...it creates quicker acceleration comming out of the corners..top speed is 270kmph or 165 mph..can't remember what the cruise rpm are

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm running 17 47 and like it. Plenty-o-power, good cruise rpm's. Forget what it revs at going 70, Think it's around 4000. I do remember thinking I'd try a 50 and then pulled my head out of my a_s and figured I don't really need a granny gear.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
17/45 Gearing...

Like Falco, I'm looking for a little bit more ease on the engine at freeway speeds, and am considering going to a 44 rear sprocket, possibly from Vortex or Renthal. Has anyone gone this way? I know that it's a gas pulling hole shots, but I'm thinking, I'll get a bit more speed on the top end, though it'll take me a little longer to get there....and the motor won't be running out of breath.

DW

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I've been running 17/44 for 2 years now and I love it because of lowered RPMs. Wheelies are a bit harder to perform but doing so is not my cup of tea so I don't care. Previous to 17/44, I also had 17/42 but it was a bit too long for my taste. Next combo will be 18/46.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Any lugging problems off the line?

DW

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Neither am I. I just don't want to be replacing my clutch every season, since I'm putting in a new DP clutch as soon as the weather allows me back into the garage without having to freeze my 'nads.

DW

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Got it on good information that the DPs are the ones to go with...this from no less than a Kawasaki service manager. So, what the Hell.....

DW

·
Registered
683 Posts
Its time to put a clutch in my ZX 11 too. Its not totally dead but I think I felt a little slip under full redline power from 2nd to 3rd. I've always been told that oem plates are the way to go and thats what I plan on getting. However, I'm also going to replace the springs and I'm not sure what to go with. I'd like to get some aftermarket heavy duty springs. Anyone have any recommendations on springs? I've been looking but not coming up with anything.
T

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
EBC springs are about 10-15% heavier than stock. You don't want to go too heavy, as the clutch action might become too stiff.

Dw

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Got it on good information that the DPs are the ones to go with...this from no less than a Kawasaki service manager. So, what the Hell.....

DW
The word "Manager" after their name kind of removes any credibility for me....... I typically go on the words of actual ZX11 Owners/Racers who have put tens of thousands of miles on their bikes. Claude is right, the STOCK Clutch and plates are near bullet proof. if u are going thru a clutch once a year, only word I can come up with is, "abuse". After 70,000 miles Ive installed ONE clutch, springs and friction disks..... ONE

Reactions: Cisco Kidd

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Reviving dead thread, Can anyone comment on 17/43 as that's what I have in box for 96 ZX11
@ 60mph, w/OEM sprockets, the ZX11 is barely turning over 4k on the tach...... Works just FINE for me...... and my 82 Honda 900F, tens years older with ONE less gear? Yep, barely turning over 4K @ 60mph. That seems to be the sweet spot for Japanese inline 4's.

·
Registered
168 Posts
@ 60mph, w/OEM sprockets, the ZX11 is barely turning over 4k on the tach...... Works just FINE for me...... and my 82 Honda 900F, tens years older with ONE less gear? Yep, barely turning over 4K @ 60mph. That seems to be the sweet spot for Japanese inline 4's.
Nice nice, I was asking as thats what I have in my box of goodies , a Supersproc Stealth rear and a JT cushioned 17T front sprocket, current chain and spockets have some life but may as well test out the new goodies at some point right. However right now I am actually enjoying the ZX9R more than the 11, until I get all my goodies on the 11, the 9R is just so much more nimble and easily as fast. Love the ole 900F's

1 - 20 of 23 Posts