Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well yesterday I completed my project to weld up a Vance & Hines Supersport system to my stock headers. It actually worked and doesn't leak. Anyone that knows my history knows that NOTHING usually works for me on the first try, but this did! This took some ******* engineering to accomplish, so if you are good with a welder, you could probably do this. NO - I won't do this for your bike. The reason why I didn't just dump $300+ into a full system? I got this pipe for $50 (off a Honda 750), and bought a 90 degree exhaust piece for $6... I'm cheap!

This thing was running rich and fouling the plugs, so I think my used carbs I bought a while back might already have a jet kit installed. This thing is REALLY loud - and I LOVE it. Everyone on the highway KNOWS I'm around now! It sounds like the world is coming to an end when I hit about 6,000 RPM.

Here's some pics:

You can laugh at the weld job - I'm not a professional, but it's not seen and doesn't leak...

It clears the oil filter, too!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Only a congratulations is due, for making a right-side exit 4-into-1 pipe with centerstand retention and oil filter access. NO other exhaust manufacturer did this for the ZX11. And you came in under budget? Excellent job!:clap

There is NEVER anything wrong with being resourceful and saving money, as long as it works, and is worth your time!!

How does she run? How's the mixture?

Sounds like all the fiberglass is already blown out of that muffler. Does the can have anything in it at all?

·
Registered
498 Posts
wow... you have my respect my friend..... put in some dyno run and post it here. I'm sure it's gonna open eyes to a lot of people here. I'm a DIY person myself and love to see something like this. The originality....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...How does she run? How's the mixture?

Sounds like all the fiberglass is already blown out of that muffler. Does the can have anything in it at all?
It runs PERFECTLY and I already noticed a great gain in power not only by freeing up the exhaust, but the weight loss also!

I never opened the can, so I don't know about the guts. I'm extremely happy with it like it is. It's not too loud. It's just right for me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
nice job ,i would have made a left exit pipe for it ,,like muzzy

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would also like to congrat u on this man!!:clap :clap :clap

I take my hat off to anyone who is innovative and not afraid to do the job self!!

By the way, how did the instructor's course go????????/

·
Registered
683 Posts
Alright, somebody has to be the voice of criticism. I'm all for keeping your ride rolling on a budget, but thats not too attractive. I guess its function over form. Personally, I think you should have thrown down a few more notes and gotten a nice pipe.
T

·
Registered
88 Posts
Alright, somebody has to be the voice of criticism. I'm all for keeping your ride rolling on a budget, but thats not too attractive. I guess its function over form. Personally, I think you should have thrown down a few more notes and gotten a nice pipe.
T

dude its under the body work anyway wtf:thefinger

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm not trying to be an A-hole. I appreciate what he's able to do, obviously very resourceful. I own the same bike and I really like my Muzzy pipe. Its tucked up really tight to the frame, and even like that I've scraped it on stuff before. That pipe looks like its hangin pretty low. Better watch out for speed bumps, parking lot curbs, and anything else you might have to ride over. Looks like it would be easy to hang that pipe up on stuff.
T

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like to see anyone do anyting but bolt part on. I prefer to make my own parts over buying them, being a profesional fabricator its easy for me, but i have a lot of respect for anyone willing to step up and try t do something different.
welds can be ground down, and better yet if yo ucant see them dont worry about it. I am pretty anal about using mandrel bent pipes, but without spending a lot on a real j bend you probably cant get one that size so Ill let it go lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...That pipe looks like its hangin pretty low. Better watch out for speed bumps, parking lot curbs, and anything else you might have to ride over. Looks like it would be easy to hang that pipe up on stuff.
T
Nope, not even close. It's still higher than the plastic when the side panels are on.

I LOVE it and wouldn't have it any other way... and saved $300. Don't forget, I have:

- 6 kids
- 17-year-old in drivers ed
- 4 other vehicles plus a motorhome
- 15-year-old that needs braces
- Our church is in a building program
- Last but not least an active duty military paycheck to live on

Sometimes you gotta prioritize...

·
Registered
208 Posts
No. You did the right thing. We should all take notice, and not all be at the whim of whatever a factory is gonna charge us for something. I paid over $800 for my stainless/carbon full Muzzy pipe. Now I feel like a dummy in comparison. What did your pipe cost, about $100, plus an hour or two of personal labor?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No. You did the right thing. We should all take notice, and not all be at the whim of whatever a factory is gonna charge us for something. I paid over $800 for my stainless/carbon full Muzzy pipe. Now I feel like a dummy in comparison. What did your pipe cost, about $100, plus an hour or two of personal labor?
Vance & Hines Pipe - Ebay - $50
90 degree bent exhaust tubing - Autozone - $6
Flat black stove paint I had laying in my garage
2-3 hours of my time.

Nothing more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts