Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I don't know if this has been brought up but here goes: I'm having a problem with my clutch/clutch lever on my '93 zx11. The problem is when I pull in the clutch lever, shift to first, and then try to release the lever...the bike jumps and cuts off.
After putting it up on the center stand. I tried it again to see what was happening with the rear wheel. I again pulled in the lever and shifted to first gear. The back wheel was spinning even though I had the clutch lever pulled in. It's like the gears are engaging without the clutch lever being eased out.

Can anyone help or give me guidance with this?

Thanks in advance

Robert

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Bujin2000 said:
...The problem is when I pull in the clutch lever, shift to first, and then try to release the lever...the bike jumps and cuts off...
If your sidestand is down, it would act exactly like this. There's a sidestand switch located on the ... (you guessed it) sidestand that cut ignition if:
- sidestand is down
- tranny is not in neutral
- you are releasing the clutch lever
This sidestand switch have a somewhat frequent failure rate and, if damaged, could cut the ignition when you release clutch lever, even if the sidestand is up. I would check this first.

Bujin2000 said:
After putting it up on the center stand. I tried it again to see what was happening with the rear wheel. I again pulled in the lever and shifted to first gear. The back wheel was spinning even though I had the clutch lever pulled in. It's like the gears are engaging without the clutch lever being eased out...
Well, yes, the gears are engaging. Pulling the clutch lever release the pressure on the clutch's plates but there is still enough pressure in the clutch to turn the wheel if it is in a "no friction" (read: "not touching the ground") condition. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
990 Posts
As above, also;

I've had the side stand switch stick on the 1100. i.e. you fold up the stand & the plunger in the switch does not spring out. It should pull out quite easily with fingers. When the sidestand switch has stuck & cut the engine on releasing the clutch it has died without even any 'jump' forward.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
the tire will spin with the clutch lever in and the bike in gear on the stand.its fron friction,try hitting the rear brake,the tire should stop without stalling the motor.as for stalling,try the kick stand switch as mentioned above.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have this same thing happen on my 86 1000R. Apparently if they sit for a bit the clutches get "Dry" and they "Jump" when you try and put them in gear. It's my impression that you have to work through it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
if the sidestand switch is sticking just spray it down with WD-40 and push the plunger in and out till it moves freely.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
francesco said:
Check Also You Clutch Cable. It Can Be Adjusted Under The Tank.
Clutch cable on a ZX-11??? I don't know where you bought yours but all the ones I saw and read about comes with hydraulic clutch...

·
Registered
12 Posts
On The Handle You Should Have A Dial No.1-4 That Is What Shortens And Elong The Throw Of The Clutch. My Zx Will Not Start If I Hold The Clutch. Their Is A Cable In There That Runs To A Switch. That Is What I Am Saying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ZX-11s all came with a hydraulic clutch. The cable you are seeing is the choke cable, or are you talking about a ZX1100-A1 GPz 1100 which was a cable operated clutch. Anyway, the ZX-11 clutch drag is a normal situation if it happens at first kick into first gear on a cold engine. The clutch pressure plate squeezes most oil from clutch pack over night resulting in this initial first shift issue. Try giving the bike some throttle, say 2000RPM with front brake held as you kick it into first gear (not on center stand) the first time on a cold engine. This will break the steel and friction plates apart from each other. BTW most bikes will have drag and spin the rear wheel in neutral on the center stand. Hold rear brake as previously stated to stop rear wheel spin, and see if bike stalls. It will not unless you have major clutch basket finger notching, plate warpage etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts