Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all.
I am a new member, and a new owner of a 1997 Kawasaki ZX11 motorcycle.
I bought it not running, have since got it running well enough to ride.
I need a taller, more touring-type windshield, and a set of handlebar risers.
The bike is much fun to ride, and is extremely powerful, compared to the BMW products I have been riding.
It is also lighter, and easier to climb on and off.

I could probably manage to make a spoiler addition to the basically stock ZeroGravity screen on the bike.
I could also probably manage to make some sort of bar riser system.
Either would require days for me to accomplish.
I am aware of the Ebay/Amazon/China/Internet offerings.

If anyone has these items for sale, I am interested.

Thanks,
Mike Warbington

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The Zero Gravity Double Bubble would prolly be a good choice

$94 with free shipping via prime. I dont think anybody is going to sell u their shield for <$50 and when u add shipping, u are right in the ball park with a USED Windshield as opposed to brand new one.

With that being said, Im 66 and took off my bar risers 6 years ago and went back to the stock bar layout. I feel more in tune with the front end...... risers just made it too vague for me especially when I went to the ZZR 1200 front suspension

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blaine, thanks for the recommendation.
That is a decent value.
The double bubble is a little taller than the basically stock screen on the bike, I am not sure it would give the shielding I want, especially if I can manage to raise the bars 3".
A lip type extension to my windshield might work.
I had one on my BMW K1200GT, and it worked well. The BMW windshield is taller, and the ergos are more erect, than the ZX11.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the original windscreen in the garage, but the previous owner had some skull grenade grahic on it. I scraped it off but it left a bunch of adhesive on it. Probably be a good winter project to get that crap off of there and go with the original screen. The stock zx11 is real comfortable to me. Can't see riding any other way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Warmas, I am right in the middle of USPS Christmas peak season chaos. Plus the snow is flying. Gonna take me a bit to get around to it. I wanna get it off the bike first and get some pics to you before any money flies around. I don't want you paying for something you might not want or won't fit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, my next question is what does your windshield look like.
I have a ZeroGravity windshield now on the bike. I think it may be an even lower profile than the stock windshield.
It fits the screw holes well and appears well-made, but provides very litttle wind protection from mid-torso up.
I made a laminar lip-type deflector and fastened it to the ZeroGravity shield.
It looks terrible, is not tall enough, and it and the ZG shield are too flexible at high speed.
It does, however, direct the wind blast up to about chin level. They work pretty well.
I had one on a BMW K1200 but lost it. and it worked well on that bike's windshield, which is considerably more upright and taller than the ZX 11.
I may be trying to turn a Kawasaki Ninja into a Honda Goldwing, but I like the bike, just don't like the low bars and wind and noise at higher speed.

Some pictures of the shield, at your convenience, on the bike are greatly appreciated.
No rush.

Thanks,
Mike Warbington

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think zero gravity offers 3 screens for the zx 11, stock, double bubble, and touring. You'd have to Check their site. I may see daylight Sunday after work, gonna get the bike out one last time and get the windscreen off for you. Take some pics of it next to the original.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, my next question is what does your windshield look like.
I have a ZeroGravity windshield now on the bike. I think it may be an even lower profile than the stock windshield.
It fits the screw holes well and appears well-made, but provides very litttle wind protection from mid-torso up.
I made a laminar lip-type deflector and fastened it to the ZeroGravity shield.
It looks terrible, is not tall enough, and it and the ZG shield are too flexible at high speed.
It does, however, direct the wind blast up to about chin level. They work pretty well.
I had one on a BMW K1200 but lost it. and it worked well on that bike's windshield, which is considerably more upright and taller than the ZX 11.
I may be trying to turn a Kawasaki Ninja into a Honda Goldwing, but I like the bike, just don't like the low bars and wind and noise at higher speed.

Some pictures of the shield, at your convenience, on the bike are greatly appreciated.
No rush.

Thanks,
Mike Warbington
Hi Mike, I use an MRA Vario touring windshield with the lip, as per attached picture. I also have the 1 inch or so genmar risers and a Corbin gunfighter seat, all of which combine to make a relatively comfortable position, given that I'm 65, 6'2". Bought the windshield in Canada (Twisted Throttle), was around $150 a couple years ago.
IMG_2018.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the pictures.
Does your windshield/lip combo deflect the wind above your helmet?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got the screen packed up at work. I will get it out this week. Sorry about the delay. Covid 19 protocols are making my life impossible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks much.
I am curious to see how it works on my bike.

Mike Warbington

1 - 18 of 18 Posts