Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time of year and I'm getting ready to take the ninja to the strip. I'm interested in hearing from other people who have/ will be taking their 11's to the strip. I'd like to know about bike mods, e.t.'s and mph.
Mine: 1990 ZX 11: adjustable cam sprockets/ degree'd cams, jet kit (stage 2 I believe although I'm not quite sure what the different stages signify), 4 into 1 exhaust (i think its a muzzy, its a straight through pipe (from factory, not modified) and its fairly loud), aftermarket sprockets and chain (geared for more acceleration/ less top speed though I'd have to go look at it to tell you the exact number of teeth on each gear), and a mickey thompson rear tire (the street version of the mickey shootout tire).
Last years results: With this setup I ran 11.13 @ 130 mph at Greatlakes Dragway, Union Grove WI. I was disappointed with the e.t. I think this bike should go well into the 10's, possibly 10.60's. Unfortunately, fully geared up I weigh in at over 210 lbs. Also I did a really poor job getting the ninja off the line. I did some wheelies, I did some burnouts, but I never got a really good launch. Best 60 ft. time was 1.99 (I'm almost embarrassed to admit that). Also, I think the mickey thompson worked well at the strip, but I hate it on the street. I originally had a Dunlop on the back and it rode great on the street. The mickey requires a million ounces of weight and even then doesn't ride as smooth as the Dunlop. I think the 130 mph trap speed shows that the bike has the HP to go quicker if only I could ride it better.

I'm interested in hearing other people's stories, mods, launch techniques, stats, advice, creative curse words, laughter at my expense, drag strip victories and/or horror stories. I love the strip and think a good ride is measured in tenths of a second. Thanks.

T

·
Registered
16 Posts
i saw an add on a web site and don't rember where but it ran 10.60 bone stock with a pro rider in the mid 1995 era. i have a 95 zx11d and have only ran 1/8 mile but have ran 6.90 in it with vance in hines exhast stage 2 jet kit with a timimg advancer stock wheel base bike is heavy i am 235 lbs tricky to get out of the hole i run some 1/4 mile this year and will post up times

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
well heres a good one. my zx11 has been 8:92 @155 on motor.this was not a stock motor of course.i put my complete stock motor in my chassie 2 weeks ago and went 9:81 to 9:85 range all weekend.i have the set up.here is a pic from saturday at the track.
http://motorcitynationals.com/v-web/gallery/album222/YOK0434

also if you go to picturetrail.com and search ninjazx11 there are a bunch of my pics and the work i do.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to accuse you of being a bullshitter until I saw the pic of your bike with a slick and bars. Well that changes everything. Nice to hear from fellow drag racers around here. Most of the guys here are into road racing (which is cool) but I'm all about straight lining. Do you ever race without the bars? How'd you do?
T

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
hi kawi, i not a bull shi##@&. i dont ride without the bars becouse the way the chassie is set up.i have a strut on the back. when this bike was a street bike i could get 10.12's with this same stock motor. bike was lowered at the time with a 4 " over arm.. it had 41 flatslides,no air box. 47 on the back and a v&h header. front end was lowered also.when it ran 8.90's i had a 1298 cc motor in it. your not far away,come over here and i'll race ya.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ninja11zx.where did you get the extended arm.I want one.my bike is cool.custom paint.i polished the frame.exhaust,jetted.i want to lower it and extend it.can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
the arm i have now was built at macintosh in ohio.its a chrome moly arm. another source is superbike mike in florida,he can extend your stock arm.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trac Dynamics makes very nice swing arms. I have one for my Z1. I think they are the best thing going. Do a google search for "trac dynamics ZX11". That will get you in the ball park. When I just searched "trac dynamics" I came up with the TD site but it was all busa stuff. When I searched "trac dynamics ZX11" I was able to find their ninja stuff. Weird. Anyway, they are very nice but you better be ready to spend some money. Base price $1000 plus more for options like air tank in the arm for shifter and a bracket for nitrous bottle, plus more if you want something other than the standard finish. Check it out.
T

·
Registered
53 Posts
ninja11zx, Nice chassis work! The cylinders look great too. How long did they take to make? Do you do any engine building/ parts fab on the side?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I went 11.6s @ 115 on an old CBR 600F2

Video HERE

My ZX-11 has never been to the track but I think it would easily go 10s with me on it (195 lb rider).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Guys good to see a few drag racers .
I just got my zx11 and I need to get the tranny fixed think my shift forks are shot lost 3rd and 4th .
My bike has jetted carbs and a v&h 4 into 1 exhaust.
Had a chance to ride it while 3rd was gone and can't wait to get it back on the rode and then up to a 1/8 mile track by me .
Any info on drag racing would be great it will be my first time to a track I have always wanted to run a bike at the track but never owned one worth taking lol .
Really loving my zx11 .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ran my stock 97 zx11 at the track. I had a hard time try to launch the bike from the line. Even at 4,500 and slipping the clutch she wants to bog. My times got better till a little pinhole in the radiator hose ended my day. The bike should run in the high 10's low 11's. I started breaking into the low 12's. My reaction time sucked. but, it just getting used to the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts