Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Garmin Zumo 450 today and mounted it for for a couple of pictures. I purchased a RAM Steering Stem mount and think it came out quite nicely. Now I have ALOT of learning to do about my new GPS, considering this is my first. :scared

Some pics of it mounted:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sweet looking installation Kory... yes how does it mount.. a compression/expansion mount in the steering stem?

Jerry

·
Registered
228 Posts
Really tidy job, can't find any info on those stem mounts though, have you got any part numbers?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys, here are the details as good as I can give them.

First off, I ordered it from here: http://www.mountinginnovations.com/
Model # is : RAM-B-342U

This is a universal steering stem kit. Cost is $15.95 USD plus shipping.

The kit consitst of: RAM 1" ball top portion, washer, rubber plug, hardened plastic hex shaped gripper washer which the locking nut on the bottom fits into.

First off, take out the stock plastic steering stem plug and you insert the supplied rubber plug into the hex holed stem. Mark this spot on the rubber and this is the top measurement. Then take the plug out and measure down one inch from your top mark and this becomes your bottom mark. Make cuts at both marks and you have your 1" plug. (Note: with the C-14 I only had to make 1 cut because one inch down from that was the end of the plug so there was nothing left to cut.) Next you select the hex shaped gripper washer that fits into the steering stem hole; for the C-14 I used the smallest one supplied. Then you just assemble everything together, hand tighten, then insert it into the steering stem. Tighten with an allen wrench, once it is very tight with this you can then turn the whole mount clockwise to complete the tightening. So yes, it holds by compressing that rubber plug in the stem.

Hope this helps someone. It gives you yet another mounting option.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Newbie,
I'm Alan form Granbury, TX. I have the C14 with just a few miles on her. I was thinking about the Zumo 550 which can't be any different for installation. Even with your instructions I'm not quite sure about the procedure. I'm going to order the kit and give it a wing. Thanks for the info. I've already gotten a taller windscreen. With all the information on this site I should have many more after market goodies to look forward to. I'm really interested in the seat a guy in Britian had done. By the way, my uncle lives in Humble. When I'm coming down we'll have to get together for a ride. Thanks, Hopalong.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Newbie,
I'm Alan form Granbury, TX. I have the C14 with just a few miles on her. I was thinking about the Zumo 550 which can't be any different for installation. Even with your instructions I'm not quite sure about the procedure. I'm going to order the kit and give it a wing. Thanks for the info. I've already gotten a taller windscreen. With all the information on this site I should have many more after market goodies to look forward to. I'm really interested in the seat a guy in Britian had done. By the way, my uncle lives in Humble. When I'm coming down we'll have to get together for a ride. Thanks, Hopalong.
Hey Hopalong! The 550 would be the same for installation. Sorry if my explanation was unclear, but have no fear as instructions come with it. Feel free to pm me if you have any troubles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks. I just wasn't sure taking out the bolt and replacing it with a rubber insert was doing the same job as the bolt. Al

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I just wasn't sure taking out the bolt and replacing it with a rubber insert was doing the same job as the bolt. Al
No bolts are replaced on the bike. There is a plastic cap that comes stock in the steering stem hole. It pops right out and I'm not sure what the purpose is other than keep water from running down it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No twisting in the stem hole with the weight of the GPS unit?
Haven't had a chance to ride since I have mounted it, but it doesn't seem like it will move too easily. It may be two weeks before I can get a test ride in though. :rant :banghead I'll have to report back and let everyone know how it holds up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great find Kory. I picked up one of the mounts yesterday and installed last night. Straight forward install and now have a nice center mount. I had installed one of the ram ball's on the brake line block, but the center point is much easier to have things out of the way of the gauges. I had been waiting for a stemstand from techmounts, but this adapter works great!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great find Kory. I picked up one of the mounts yesterday and installed last night. Straight forward install and now have a nice center mount. I had installed one of the ram ball's on the brake line block, but the center point is much easier to have things out of the way of the gauges. I had been waiting for a stemstand from techmounts, but this adapter works great!
:cheers Good to hear!

·
Registered
98 Posts
KLB1122, why did you use the largest washer under the stem mount ? Isnt it for the large part of the stem mount if used in a larger stem hole ? I fitted mine with the smaller washer , seems to be fine , just noticed that you used the large one , cheers Holma .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KLB1122, why did you use the largest washer under the stem mount ? Isnt it for the large part of the stem mount if used in a larger stem hole ? I fitted mine with the smaller washer , seems to be fine , just noticed that you used the large one , cheers Holma .
Holma, there was no real reason for me to use the largest washer... I just did. :lol One of the smaller ones would work just fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used the small washer at first,as suggested. The thing is not real solid so, I tried the large washer as well. No better! I looked in the hole and see that it changes size from top(nut) to stem. Have not found a way to tighten the stem mount "solid". For now I am using the small washer.

G2

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I used the small washer at first,as suggested. The thing is not real solid so, I tried the large washer as well. No better! I looked in the hole and see that it changes size from top(nut) to stem. Have not found a way to tighten the stem mount "solid". For now I am using the small washer.

G2
I don't think the washer size has anything to do with the stability.

I wrenched it down as tight as I could with an allen wrench. After that I turned the mount itself clockwise for while and eventually it felt like it was getting tighter and tighter. It's not a rock, but it's not going anywhere.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts