Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I noticed the other day when I was running my ZRX to keep the gas flowing through it (sad, it is too cold and snowy in the colorado mountains for a winter ride) that my bike over-heated. The fan never kicked on.

Anyone know if the fans are problematic, or is it just the sensor switch? 450.:scared is a lot to pay for a little fan. I hope that is not the problem.

Also, I was thinking of changing out all of the hoses and the thermostat. Any info on that project? I am new here and any direction would be a great help!

Thanks very much!

Dace

·
Registered
990 Posts
There's a few possibilities to check out, a wiring diagram will help.

1. Did the radiator warm up, if not the sensor would not have warmed up - suspect the thermostat or another blockage in the system. If the system has been flushed on a regular basis the temp sensor may have gone, check by connecting to a meter & lowering end into a container of boiling water, also the thermostat can be checked by putting in boiling water. You'll have to drain the rad for this.

2. there is usually a permanent live feed from the battery +ve side to the fan, check that you are getting 12V from that feed.

3. it may just be fan that's gone, you need to put a meter across it to check the motor wiring is okay, then wire direct to a 12V supply to see if it runs or connect the -ve side to earth if you have a permanent live feed to the fan.

Cooling fan prices for Kawasaki is ridiculous. Apparently Muzzy do a better one for a lot less $$$.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try jumping out switch at bottom of rad, if fan comes on then it is the rad switch , if not then check for 12v to a good ground on both of wires going to rad switch , if not 12v check fuse , also spin fan by hand, should spin easy with out much drag . Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much! I'll start there. -Dace

1 - 4 of 4 Posts