Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.zoan.ca

Not sure where this company is based, but I tried a couple of them on at a local shop today.

First impression?

Way fuckin lighter than my HJC.
Second?

Way more comfortable overall. The one I tried on had the same fit as my large HJC, but was labeled as an XL so the sizes are a bit small. It was snug all around while not having any noticeable pressure points. My ears were far more comfortable in it, but the neck was much more form fitting. This results in it being harder to pull on and off. Also had a chin piece built in, something which keeps wind noise down and costs extra on other helmets.

$130 dollars gets you a fairly light (nothing amazing, but not bad) helmet with a drop down tinted visor, a much better lens latch than the HJC which binds up once they wear down and slightly better venting.

The other one I couldn't try on (too big) was just as light, a little bit more expensive I think, and had tons of vents along with the previous features.

I am looking more into them, but I think I might buy one in a couple weeks here if it all looks good.

EDIT:

Got mine, fit is great. It is a little tight, but hopefully it will break in well enough. It is an XL while I normally wear a large so be sure to order a size larger. The finish is good, but the carbon fiber layup leaves something to be desired. There is one spot that I didn't get a pic of where the weave is "stretched" but aside from that:

These are under the clear coat, small creases in the CF. I didn't even notice them until I got it home and really started inspecting this thing.

This is what appears to be a nick in the resin, under the clear coat. Also hard to see.

The seam is well aligned however, though a bit messy.

But, look at what the liner is made of:

That shit is soft, comfortable... and the whole liner is removable and can be machine washed.

I dont have it pulled all the way down in this pic... just realized that.

This thing fits really well, but its tight at the moment. If it doesn't break in well enough I will probably wind up ordering an XXL liner. I have faith that it will loosen up just right once it is broken in. But here is what I bought it for: This thing is light as fuck. The sticker on the back says 1280 grams. That puts it at 2.82 lbs which is right about what the scale said at the store when I picked it up. There is virtually no "spin" to the helmet when whipping your head around like with my heavy ass HJC.

The fit is almost perfect too, aside from being tight. If I tilt the helmet up, down, or side to side - anything other than properly situated, it actually binds up on my head a little bit like trying to twist an oval peg inside an oval hole. Even without the strap on it stays put very well.

The whole thing feels small, like its physically smaller and closer to my face than my HJC. I imagine I will get used to it, and some of it probably has to do with the breath guard.

My gf is in the middle of having a small boner talking about how soft the liner is even as I type this.

The quality of the vents and ratchet mechanism are actually a little better than my HJC believe it or not. Overall, even aside from the imperfections which I will never have to look at, and are hard to see anyways... I think it was worth it. If you trust buying shit online, this helmet can be purchased for 199.99 on ebay right now in XL.

I should also point out that the model name of my helmet is "privilege" but the one on the website is called "revenge" but mine matches the pictures online... So idk.

·
Administrator
58,569 Posts
I would check into the ratings.
ECE-22-05/P Approved
•DOT FMVSS-218
I did a lot of research before I bought my Sparx helmets and I take all of it with a grain of salt. Some guys say DOT doesn't mean much. Snell has supposedly the best ratings. My helmet had a fail on it because the rating tag was in the wrong spot on the inside of the helmet or some stupid ass reason. Had nothing to do with the structure.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, so long as it is DOT approved it can't be that bad. I am more interested in the overall quality of it. After about a year the lens latch on the HJC wore and now it is extremely difficult to pull the thing down.

If the quality is on par with HJC, then the features make it worth it.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest I dont know. The website does not seem to have the one I was looking at.

I am really curious to try the CF one. It would be worth it, but it doesnt have any of the fancy features. Which is just as well, that is more stuff to break.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Cf wouldn't e worth it IMO in the cheap helmets just caz in order to get it to not crack most of the time the cheap carbon fiber ones it's just the outter layer that's cf. If it says 100% then there is so much resin to keep cf from cracking because cf ends up being brittle. I wouldn't trust a cf lid unless a reputable company makes them. My buddy whos a parts and apparel manager in Chicago calls zoan garbage lids and I'd be better off with a plastic bucket on ur head.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The helmet weighs 1200 grams. I doubt it is just an outer layer.

And people call a lot of things garbage out of a sense of elitism, so take it with a grain of salt - as EZ said.

That's why I would like to check one out for myself.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yea I understand. But I also kno from someone who works there but they are made by hjc. If ur tryin to stay away from hjc I'd look into another lid. 60% of Helmets are made from hjc and kbc

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yea I understand. But I also kno from someone who works there but they are made by hjc. If ur tryin to stay away from hjc I'd look into another lid. 60% of Helmets are made from hjc and kbc
If they are, I couldn't tell.

All of the aspects of the helmets were totally difference than HJC's. They used different vents, different lens mounting, different "latch" for the lens... I have looked at A LOT of HJC helmets in the past few months. They are all very clearly the same. And as far as I can find online, Zoan makes Zoan helmets... and they are based in canada.

It isn't about staying away from HJC, its about staying away from the specific problems I had with it. Those problems cant possible be present in these due to the totally different design.
And the guy that said you would be better off with a plastic bucket on your head, he probably thinks an 800 dollar shoei somehow is safer than a 150 dollar Bell helmet.

If they are made by HJC, but designed by someone else... then what is the problem there anyways? HJC are "good" helmets.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And I am not sold on them yet either, but I have heard remarks about bell and HJC that they are junk as well so...

·
Administrator
58,569 Posts
Not being a smartass but what helmet do you have?
I agree, up to a point, that name brand helmets might be better but what would you recommend?
I bought Sparx since it looked nice, fit right and was approved for the most part. I would think a bad fitting helmet would be worse.
I just see some helmets marked up in price just because they're popular but it doesn't necessarily mean they're better.
Just look at the all the tire, oil and filters threads. :angry

·
Registered
320 Posts
Icon ones are ok and I've heard ok reviews from them. Bell's top line isn't too bad either but again icons are made by hjc also. It's kinda like wal mart brand oil is made my penzoil. And you don't need an $800 shoei or arai to get into it. Shoei and arai have a $400 line that's very nice which is well into the lines of other icon bell ect lids. If it fits and feels good and youve done hw on it like reviews while riding with it. But then it's not crazy expensive so if your disappointed it's not like you droped a bunch on it lol.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Im saving up for an Arai Signet-Q.......

1624 grams and it meets BOTH DOT and SNELL specs......

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What's your point?

In fact, some snell ratings have lower reqs than DOT. DOT is "good enough", and in many cases Snell doesn't offer any additional safety.

At any rate, I would love to drop 600 dollars on a helmet. The thing is, it isn't necessary and I have other things to spend my cash on. I don't feel any more or less safe with a more expensive helmet on my head.

I am sure it is fantastic though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yea that's all ur really paying extra for is the fancy stuff right. Kinda like having a sun roof or not haha. Dot standard and it fits comfy is all you really need. I used an xspeed helmet for a long time caz all I had was $100 and didn't like the fit of the hjc's they had. Never tested its absorbing capabilities but it was a super comfy (yet heavy) lid. Only prob was sucky venting and visor started chipping. Did ya find any reviews from that brand that wasn't on the site (I feel they would only post good reviews lol)

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i've found the higher priced helmets are lighter and have much better ventilation. Some are noisier too. My RX-7 Arais are noisey. My Shoei was much quieter, but heavier. I guess we all go through helmet progression or helmet wiseing up. I wish the store had a carbon for you to try on also. The Corsair V Carbon is just stupid expensive. i bet even the oldninjadude doesn't have one in his collection. I would be afraid to leave that helmet out anywhere in public.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am gonna see if they can get the carbon in stock without me having to pay for it. I like the idea of the shape and light weight. Ventilation will be better than my HJC regardless. The slightly ducked shape (whats that called?) should make it nice in the wind too.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Well, I dont have lil chilluns to worry about, or a wife, or an ex-wife, OR an expensive grrlfren, so I spend my hard earned $$$ on ME, and my play things.....

My point??? Do we need to have a POINT to post here now??? :rolleyes

Wwwwwwwelllll. excuuuuuuse me!!! :rotflmao

All I was doing is stating a fact. That it was light and was approved by both standards....

Sure it isnt cheap, and a good $200 to $300 helmet will do just fine, but since I usually keep my helmets for years, and am in them a lot during the summer months, for once I would like to own a "premium" helmet b4 I die. :smile

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
I have a HJC......Its a good fit, just heavier then I would like.
I guess it just comes down to, if you can spend it, then spend it! If you cant........well something is better then nothing. :dunno

1 - 20 of 54 Posts