Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

You're gonna die!

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  acc88 
#1 · (Edited)
im about to pick up an 07 zx-6r (green of course) and ive been catching a lot of heat. everyone's telling me that im gonna die and crash...does anyone else get this garbage from bike-hating idiots?

#3 ·
you know what I tell em after they say that? I tell them they can die on the can, or taking a shower...SHIT happens...i don't think you can say any one thing is more dangerous, it all depends on the person. Be alert, smart when you have to be, and don't hit stuff, you'll be good!

#4 ·
+1

They also like to relay all the stories about everyone they ever knew that got killed or maimed on a bike. If you're picking the bike up you've obviously made your choice :crazyloco In a world full of restrictions as to what you can & can't do, riding a bike is one of the few remaining exhillirating pastimes left to us ordinary folk. If you're inexperienced some training may be useful to get the best out of it but most of all enjoy yourself, you'll be grinning everytime you go out on the bike.

#6 ·
Yep..its an old saying..I think it was started by somebody's mother and progressed from there. But "they" are right..you are going to die..as a matter of fact..eventually we are all going to die! One could hang out at the library or maybe even a museum...that would be safe..probably live a bit longer than most folks too..but not a whole lot of excitement in that enviroment. I'm a trucker and am on the road all the time...what do I see..a lot of accidents and death. All in cars and big rigs but not one on a bike..hmm..why is that? I think the reason being is that to survive on a bike one must be very defensive which sharpens the skills. Once a rider ..especially a sport bike rider that gets some experience then he or she will probably be one of the best drivers on the road and with continuous fine tuning of skills...and a constant check with intuition will be the least likely to die before they hit a really old age

#7 ·
My neighbors dog trainers cousin's brother-in-law knows a guy at work that used to live next door to a fella that had a room mate whos brothers best friends uncle died on a motorcyle.
I have heaard that speach all my life, ignore em and just do it.

#8 ·
I was thrown upside down over a car in September 06 this past fall when a Drunk Driver pulled into two lanes of traffic blocking both lanes instantly.

Guess what... I still ride! It goes without saying and everyone knows that you're going to go down, it's not if but a matter of when. As long as you ride carefully, wear the gear, keep your eyes pealed, and hope you land right side up you'll come through :mfclap .

What everyone forgets to say when they insult us for riding these 'dangerous' 2 wheeled machines is that, it's them who are going to hurt us.

#14 ·
What everyone forgets to say when they insult us for riding these 'dangerous' 2 wheeled machines is that, it's them who are going to hurt us.
:clap u couldnt have put it better,
my first crash was on a round about covered in diesel, i came off, picked bike up and went burgerking before the blood had dried and i was 17 then, im now 19. its our way of life no matter how they wanna warn us:thefinger

Leigh

#15 ·
There are two types of riders. Riders that have fallen and riders who will fall.

You are born to die and how it happens is no persons choice but the big biker up there my man. Just kit up and wear all the gear to make your time longer if need be. i ride every single day in rain or shine and i waer my full leathers, boots and protection every day.

You dont want your ass left on the road if you fall so wear the correct stuff.

#16 ·
All valid points... and yes I have heard these comments too.

I must echo the other comments by other riders on here and say:

1) Take some lessons
2) Wear the proper gear

As for riding and dying... I too am of the mindset that it is better to live on the edge and actually "live" than to stand in the bleachers and watch those who do.

The choice is yours and it sounds like you've already made up your mind. Go with it, but be safe.

When I first started riding, my Father didn't want me to. He rides Motorcycle, and was a Bike Cop, and also had a bad accident that shattered his radius in his forearm.

I came home with a bike and he was mad at me. He said.. "You better go pay your funeral expenses now or take the bike back."

I told him he had 2 choices..

1) Not help me to be a better rider, in which case I was keeping the bike and would probably kill myself, or:

2) help me to learn what I needed to in order to be safe and be a better rider.

It was an argument he couldn't fight, and I've been riding since.

Get the bike (green of course) and you'll have an awesome time.

#17 ·
I do agree with your father in a way, as mine was a police officer as well as myself who took over his footsteps. I've attempted to stop many bikes personally on the highway, and we'll just say that 90% of the time I'm not even able to catch the plate before they disappear. That made me sincerely despise alot of the 'bad apples.'

But after years went by (My first bike was when I was 20, now I'm 29) I got over the love/hate relationship of sportbikes and am still running my ZX6R. My father still insists "Its not you, it's them you have to watch out for."

I think we can all agree, regardless of your experience thats how it is, most surveys do show that motorcycle accidents are primarily NOT the riders fault, thats very unfortunate for us.

Anyway, enough political talk, enjoy yourself :).

#19 ·
quote from swoosh:

When I first started riding, my Father didn't want me to. He rides Motorcycle, and was a Bike Cop, and also had a bad accident that shattered his radius in his forearm.

I came home with a bike and he was mad at me. He said.. "You better go pay your funeral expenses now or take the bike back."

Im lucky enough to have a dad that just bought the 07 zx-10 (special edition) and he's been riding his whole life....his whole thing is you gotta ride with me until i feel like you're ready to take it home. kick ass dad?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.