Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today i changed the oil on my bike..well short story here i didn't tighten the drain plug back down, after all the times Ive changed the oil, guess today was the day I forgot. Either way.. I went down the road a ways, about mile and when i went around a turn my rear tire slid some, and the next turn I made it slide again, and I was like "what the hell?" so I'm going along about 50mph and notice my oil light comes on... so i pulled over about 10-15 seconds after the light came on..and as i pulled it into the dirt path i immediately shut the bike down and I saw a little oil still spilling out from the drain plug. Well I got a truck and took the bike back home and there is about a good 1.5 - 2 miles of oil spilled all along the road before the light ever came on. Well tomorrow morning im going to hopefully go the motorcycle store here and get a drain plug. My main question is, does anyone think my engine is still ok? I caught it pretty quick and turned it off. I wasn't going very fast either and the engine wasn't at a real a high RPM when the light came on. I am hoping everything will be ok.:banghead :angry

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
i'd say the motor is good. especially if you use synthetic

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
50-50 chance. A friend dropped his ZX-14 and it ran laying on its side for a couple of minutes, starving the crankshaft of oil. It took a couple more months, but the crank shot crap and the engine had to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you didn't hear anything unusual before you shut it down, I'd think you may be okay. Even if you heard a little valve train rattle, you may still be okay. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this morning I got a new drain plug and put it in and filled it back up with oil. It drove fine to my friends house which was about a 30 min ride. Stayed there for a few hours and decide I would head home. Started just fine and let her warm up and got down the road and I turned on the highway. Well when I turned on the highway I got on a little bit and I noticed a slight knocking noise so I slowed down some and ducked down and lifted my visor to hear the knocking even better. I immediatly turned around and headed back to my friends place so he could take me home. I am thinking now my cheapest option is to just buy a used motor from ebay for $1000 with only 9,000 miles on it. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Slow down...You might just be hearing something thats been there all along. I would say ride the bike as is. If it does go, or gets much louder, then I would start thinking of replacing the motor. You don't fix something thats not broken. Ride the bike and keep a ear on her. What I would do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Slow down...You might just be hearing something thats been there all along. I would say ride the bike as is. If it does go, or gets much louder, then I would start thinking of replacing the motor. You don't fix something thats not broken. Ride the bike and keep a ear on her. What I would do.
Yea def agree its probably just paranoia hearing something that isnt really an issue. keep riding it and keep an ear on it if it gets worse.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Ah, probably paranoia. 1.5 miles w/o oil, you should have put those teflon ad ...

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
slow down...you might just be hearing something thats been there all along. I would say ride the bike as is. If it does go, or gets much louder, then i would start thinking of replacing the motor. You don't fix something thats not broken. Ride the bike and keep a ear on her. What i would do.
+1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts