Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
#1 BMW Traitor
6,376 Posts
I won't know fitment on the bodywork until I get my engine back from the builder and put the bike back together. Hopefully I will have it back in two weeks. The fairings on the Z1000 are simple, with little connection to other fairing pieces, so I don't expect an issue.

I decided to tone the engine build down a bit as I am back to my usual, trading bikes around. The biggest change was to keep the stock Z1000 pistons/liners and go less aggressive on the port work. I will still have the ZX9R crank, cams, springs,etc., and raise the compression. I will probably lose around 5-7hp, so not a huge impact.

I was able to trade my Connie for a low mile 2014 Ninja 1000 with bags. I just got it yesterday. I did this with the hope to get the number of bikes smaller, so I also have my 2012 Z1000 up for sale. I plan to now flip this 03 Z1000 after playing with it for a bit. To me the Ninja 1000 is right in the middle between the Connie and the Z1000 (as if there is a middle between them). Light, quick steering, good power, big bags. I have a short inseam and got tired of maneuvering the Connie on my toes. The Ninja fits me much better plus has KTRC and ABS. With this, I will have only two daily riders, the 2014 Ninja 1000 and my new 2015 ZX10R.

I also have to make room for a couple new bikes showing up in a month. One track bike and one toy. I'm just always moving around on bikes. :smilieRR:
It's fun to flip bikes around and get new (to you) rides. What's your impression of the 1000. I'll bet you're really digging the Gen4, really great bike!

·
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got back working on the Z1000s finally, I picked up a few more as they are all around $2-300 each. Backet cases, but lots of spares and VERY trashed engines, if at all. I scored a Z750S with a blown engine, but perfect bodywork and tank. This will become my primary build. I decided to go with 04 ZX10R forks as the upper triple is available from the aftermarket. The 09 ZX6R has 51mm upper tubes so no upper triples available in aftermarket that can be converted to a full bar. I will need to make some captive spacers for the wheels as the 04 ZX10R forks have a 20mm axle and the ZX14R wheels are 25mm. I also need to get some caliper spacers as the 04 ZX10R has smaller rotors than the ZX14R.

The Z750 harness is quite different from the Z1000, so I modified a Z1000 harness to work with the one difference I had. The Z750 has the atmospheric sensor on the tail on the left side. I had a couple hacked up Z750 harnesses, so I grabbed the longer harness pigtail from the Z750 and am splicing it on to the Z1000 harness. Now I can have a Power Commander as there is not one available for the Z750.

I was able to get the Concours throttle bodies on the engine last night. I have decided to run them right-side up with very long throttle cables will actuate the blade around the engine and attach from the bottom side. I just don't like the port mismatch running the throttle bodies upsidedown.

The engine build with ported head and ZX9R valvetrain is complete, ready to install. The Z750 takes a different upper right side engine bracket, and one didn't come with this bike. eBay to the rescue. One is in the mail for $20. The only difference is a provision to mount the upper fairing bracket to the frame.

I have the ZX-14R swingarm and rear wheel is on, harness is on. I will be changing the headset bearing races out this week to use ZX7R taper bearings on the ZX10R stem. The forks have fresh seals and oil.

I should have one heck of a sleeper. I am hoping to be somewhere north of 140hp to the tire with Z750S marked on the tail. It will be a little easy to tell something is going on with the 14R wheels/swingarm, upside-down forks, full Leo single sided exhaust, Gilles rearsets. Oh well ..........

The Orange Z1000 will still have some nice parts with 636 forks, Muzzy full system and I will put ZX9R cams/valvetrain with Connie throttle bodies on it with a power commander, and 09 ZX6R six spoke wheels. I will sell the orange one when it is complete. I will start a separate thread on the orange one once I start it.

I will get some pictures up eventually.

·
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
As what is usual for me, I changed it all again. I put the Chinese bodywork on one of the Z1000s. It fit well. I already sold the bike to a friend. It did not have any othe other toys mentioned earlier in the thread.

Here are the details, and where I am in this crazy frankenstein build. It is not a Z750S with a built Z1000 engine.

2005 Z750S
2006 Z1000 Engine
2006 Z1000 Harness
Much thinner headgasket
1998 ZX9R Cams/Springs/Retainers
2011 Concours 14 Throttle Bodies
Pod Filters
Leo Vince Z1000 Full Exhaust
PC III (Needs a dyno run to dial in)
2004 ZX10R forks with Chinese upper triple drilled for bar
Pro Taper Bar with Extended Risers
2004 ZX10R Shock
2014 ZX14R Swingarm
2014 ZX14R Front and Back Wheels
2014 ZX14R Front Brake Radial Master Cylinder
2012 ZX10R Front Calipers
2012 ZX10R Stock Front Rotors, 2014 ZX14R Stock Rear Rotor
Stock Z750S bodywork, so quite a sleeper
Gilles Rearsets
Frame and Front Wheel Sliders

I chose to run the "Connie" throttle bodies as the are 40mm. I just feel the ZX10R and ZX14 throttle bodies are just too large at 43mm. I am running the throttle bodies upsidedown, so the throttle is on the right. I am trying to use the stock throttle, but figure I will have to go to a Motion Pro throttle so I can get them a little longer since they have to pull/push from the bottom.

The forks will be pushed way up on the triples since the ZX10R forks are so much longer than OEM. It would have been worse if I ran the 06-10 forks as they are even 20mm longer than the 04-05.

The ZX14R swingarm is 1" longer and I love the looks of the wheels. With the power I expect this to make it will be cool to have a longer swingarm. I had to cut off the shock/linkage brackets from the Z750S frame to relocate them for the ZX14R swingarm. The Z1000 brackets are in a different place than either the ZX14R or the Z750S.

I still have not fired it up. Just finishing up the wiring and then button up the bodywork. I need to swap the right bar control to a Z1000 as the Z750 has a different connector/pinout. Also putting on my cleaner case covers I have around here somewhere. I still need to drill the top triple for the bar risers. It needs a chain. Still lots to do.

·
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A year later and she is still not up and running. I have made "some" progress, but damn slow. I think I got the last new from Kawasaki clutch cover. It took three months to come in. Now I have all new covers. Still more stuff to do before I fire it up. At least it looks like it is coming together.

·
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I am getting a lot closer. Hook up the chain and turn signals, finish installing the radiator, fill with fluids. One of these days she will run. Here is a current pic.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts