Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a 2003 Z1000 last week. Almost 70K miles. Basket case I got for a few hundred.

I have a custom swingarm laying around, a set of 2012 ZX10R wheels, some 2009 ZX6R Big Piston forks and tons of spare ZX9R race engine parts from my 99 Muzzy Formula Extreme ZX9R. I will even try to see if I can make my spare set of Connie14 throttle bodies work since they are the same spacing.

I just ordered a new Chinese body kit, found some newer radial MC with modern 6r calipers on my shelf. I also found a spare Ohlins shock and superbike linkage. I stole the TiPower exhaust from the 9.

I pulled the engine and took the head down to port similar to my race 9 head. I have some brand new big bore 9 race pistons and sleeves to put in the jugs. I'm getting an Athena engine gasket kit and a super thin Cometic head gasket for the rebuild.

How about a 150 rwhp Z1000 with modern suspension and brakes?

This is gonna be a fun build.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice score 57x, another one for your collection. Those parts come in handy. This is gonna be good. Keep us updated! :banana-popcorn:

Your build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net directory here: 57x's Z1000 Build.
We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google Images).
We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just shoot me a PM with a link to the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.
If you wish to add your build personally, please feel free to peruse our Submit feature. No registrations required.

Admins, kindly delete this post if deemed inappropriate.

Al

·
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to put a ZX14R swingarm and wheels on this build. I found a set of perfect wheels cheap. I figure with the power I'm going to throw at this I want a little longer swingarm. It is about 1" longer. Besides, the new 14R swingarm and wheels are WAY lighter than the stock stuff on an 03.

·
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also just bought a rack of 06 ZX10R throttle bodies. From what I have read you mount these upside-down with the Z TB harness and injectors. I also have a rack of Concours 14 throttle bodies. I'm going to see what works better. ZX10R TBs are 43mm and the Connie 14 TBs are 40mm. The ZX10R TB setup with ZX9R cams and valvetrain with header and porting the head was getting people almost 140hp. I hope to get a little more with higher compression race pistons and the Connie TB/injectors. 43mm TBs just seem like they are too much for a 950cc engine.

·
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some new parts I ordered. I have to keep the ZX14R crowd happy, so I ordered a set of Special Edition ZX14R wheels from ebay and a ZX14 swingarm and brakes to go with it. The shock with the swingarm in the pic will not be going on the bike. I will be powder coating the swingarm at the same time as the frame so that they color match. Time to head to the powder coater.

·
#1 BMW Traitor
6,376 Posts
Good build here, 2 questions so far:

Did you decide to go with the 10R throttle bodies installed upside down?

Are you flipping this or what are you intentions, specifically, if you keep it, what kind of riding do you have in mind for it?

·
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to use Concours throttle bodies on this build, upsidedown. The 10R throttle bodies just seem too big at 43mm. The Concours throttle bodies are 40mm and have injectors just a little bigger than the Z1000.

I plan to keep this one. I will sell the other two first generation models. It is the reason I am taking the time to rebuild the engine and went with the ZX14 swingarm. These bikes are already unicycles, so I wanted a little more wheelbase to help keep the front down. I will use it as a daily fun bike and for the tight twisties. I also plan to take it to the drag strip to see how it does. I figure as light as it is and with the mods I am doing to lighten it up plus with the expected over 140 RWHP, it should do well in the 1/4 mile. Aerodynamics will keep the top end down though.

·
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Chinese bodywork came in. Way too orange. Sucks. They said it was redish-gold. This is very similar to the 03 color. Really good paint quality, so I just live with it. Everything looks good except the radiator covers. They are a throwaway. Just crap. Bad mold, bad prep, bad design, bad paint, didn't remove mold flashing, wrong color. Just crap. Oh well, what do you expect for $200 shipped. The rest is great quality so I'll throw them away, find some used ones, paint them and the frame covers the same charcoal as the center frame covers and call it a day.

Decisions, decisions. A pile of throttle bodies. I still think I will start with the Connie throttle bodies. Left to right:
07 ZX14 43mm, 09 Concours 40mm, 03 Z1000 38mm, 06 ZX10R 43mm

·
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got the engine out to the builder and the swingarm to the powdercoater. I found another frame in better shape that does not need powdercoat.

Engine specs:

Z1000 cases, cylinder, head, transmission, stator, sensors, engine covers
01 ZX9R crank (lighter flywheel), rods, 77mm bored piston liners, cams, springs, retainers, etc.
New JE pistons, rings, rod/crank bearings, gaskets, seals
Shave head for flatness
Thinner Cometic head gasket for raised compression
Port head similar to my spare Muzzy/Kinkos race head

My biggest fear is that there are no liners and the Z1000 has chrome cylinders. If that happens, we will see what we can do to raise the compression keeping the stock Z1000 pistons to keep costs down. He is stripping the engine now.

All of this, coupled with the Concours throttle bodies and the Ti-Power 4-2-1 exhaust, tuning, etc. with hopes of 150hp. I will lose torque or raise the RPM window with all these changes, but hoping I can keep the same numbers down low and only raise the upper end. Time (and money) will tell.

·
#1 BMW Traitor
6,376 Posts
Interested to see how it comes together with this motor and the power it makes. Additionally, how is the fitment on that bodywork? I'm about to buy some track fairings for my HP4 and looking at some eBay options. Leaning hard towards @RidersDiscount currently and Sharkskins

Reactions: RidersDiscount

·
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I won't know fitment on the bodywork until I get my engine back from the builder and put the bike back together. Hopefully I will have it back in two weeks. The fairings on the Z1000 are simple, with little connection to other fairing pieces, so I don't expect an issue.

I decided to tone the engine build down a bit as I am back to my usual, trading bikes around. The biggest change was to keep the stock Z1000 pistons/liners and go less aggressive on the port work. I will still have the ZX9R crank, cams, springs,etc., and raise the compression. I will probably lose around 5-7hp, so not a huge impact.

I was able to trade my Connie for a low mile 2014 Ninja 1000 with bags. I just got it yesterday. I did this with the hope to get the number of bikes smaller, so I also have my 2012 Z1000 up for sale. I plan to now flip this 03 Z1000 after playing with it for a bit. To me the Ninja 1000 is right in the middle between the Connie and the Z1000 (as if there is a middle between them). Light, quick steering, good power, big bags. I have a short inseam and got tired of maneuvering the Connie on my toes. The Ninja fits me much better plus has KTRC and ABS. With this, I will have only two daily riders, the 2014 Ninja 1000 and my new 2015 ZX10R.

I also have to make room for a couple new bikes showing up in a month. One track bike and one toy. I'm just always moving around on bikes. :smilieRR:

·
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You get what you pay for. I wouldn't do it on a bike with complicated fairings (e.g. 2009+ ZX6R), but they are fine for the Z1000. They came with good paint color and coverage, with some unwanted orange peel. I can fix the orange peel by wet sanding and a couple more coats of clearcoat. I am happy, but it was barely over $200 to my door for the Z1000.

·
Premium Member
13,396 Posts
I'm anxious to see how it turns out, too, x. I've always wondered what one of these would look like cleaned up and minus the twice pipes. Do any of those 9R race parts swap out?

·
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The race pistons are .2mm smaller, but I also have 77mm liners so I could just press them out. I can't use the race head as they changed it from downdraft to sidedraft. All the components swap between heads though. I am putting in the lighter 9 crank, stock one though. It's a nice experiment.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.