Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting pretty low mpg on my 636, my math says like 30mpg or less.

i dont know what the actual mpg should be but i dont think it should be this low. i have a pc3 ex usb, but its on a stock map. i also have a 45 tooth rear sprocket, 5 bigger than oem. i know my odometer is off cause of that. after filling the tank(i think exactly 4gal if filled to the very top) i get about 140 miles till the light comes on, usually meaning i got like 20 miles left or so i am just assuming from previous bikes. so a rough guess at 160 miles till empty and knowing this will be inaccurate because of my sprocket, im thinking im getting like 30 or less mpgs. help?? im filling up like every other day and its killin my wallet my other 600's were like 60+mpg. thanks for any input

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Doesn't sound so WTF to me, given the mods. You've modified the bike for better acceleration, less top end and probably more fuel delivery. That translates to poor MPG. If you don't like it, make the necessary changes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that does make sense i am thinking about getting an oem size rear sprocket, and leaving the map on stock, although i think there may also be a bit too much oil in the tank i think i put like 3.9 ltr in last change not on purpose just wasnt payin attention. the crank having to push through more oil mite be a factor too. right? still it sucks i dont wanna deal with getting shitted on with gas

·
Forum Leaders
19,944 Posts
You're getting reasonable mileage considering the gearing set up you have. If you want better mileage, like e1 said, switch your sprockets back to stock 15/40 gearing.

·
Registered
888 Posts
sometimes i feel like i get 20mpg with my bike :|

but 30 sounds about right.

·
16,062 Posts
Used to average 34ish with the 08 6R.
And that was completely stock, with 37CC's less displacement.
Tanks are 4.5 gal on the 6's.
5 extra teeth on the rear sprocket is taking your revs pretty high at cruising speed.
Go back to a stock sprocket and if you don't wring it's neck on the commutes, you could see 40+ mpg.
But it's a race bike. Wasn't designed for fuel efficiency. Be happy with 30+.
(besides, that's still better than most cars on the road).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that does sound about right, after reading ur guys help and talking around with some buds i think i will go back to stock. anyone know if i will have to add links to my chain, its a 120 link and right now its at the first notch on the adjuster, i figure if i get a 40 tooth i could just bring the adjusters to the last notch and not have to deal with breaking/ riviting the chain again. thanks again for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts