Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I love this bike but the more I ride it, the more i would like to get a taller windscreen and some bar risers. Does anyone have any for sale?The bar risers look simple to make (not like the heli's on my 12) just spacer blocks with longer bols right? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Claude, I found them first! HEHE!! There cant be many Claude's in Canada interhested in bar risers.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a set of Genmars if you're still interested... PM me. However I am on the road and I will be away from a computer until early next week just so you know. Jay

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, Let me know how much you want for them. I am bidding on some on fleabay right now. I will know if they are mine by Mon.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I might be interested in those bar risers if crashtech doesn't want them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Crashtech, have you found a taller winshield as of yet? If so was it worth replacing the stock one? What kind is it and where did you get it if you don't mind.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MCrider, I need your risers please (the ebay bid went to high for there condition).

JLGwinn, I have not gotten one yet, still looking. I know it will be worth replacing the stock one, it is way to low (or I am way to tall).

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a Zero Gravity Double Bubble on mine, my bike is my avatar, I really like it. The wind flow is much better than stock, no buffeting, etc. my .02 worth. Jay

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still looking. I wish your pic was bigger, send me one. Thats my bike (minus the brakes)..Like to get a closer look at those as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The brakes are EBC wave rotors and the calipers are 6 pots adapted from a 2001 GSXR 1000. Claude had a nice install kit on e-bay a while back. I don't know if he has another or if the one that was listed was sold. Check with him. A very worthwhile upgrade. S/S lines while I was at it.
Jay
BTW, you should have e-mail

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link Claude!.....Yea the brakes are on my list just not ready yet. Doing the engine first. The suspension has allready been done as well. Probably this winter on brakes. Still like to see a better pic. I imagine I would paint everything black though instead of gold. Got the mail, you have some as well, thanks.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
...Claude had a nice install kit on e-bay a while back. I don't know if he has another or if the one that was listed was sold...
They sell everytime I put them there. I succeeded at finding another set though so I have another kit ready to go. I'll try to put it on E-Bay soon.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The brakes are EBC wave rotors and the calipers are...
Jay, are the wave rotors so superior to OEM? Or maybe regular EBC are so superior anyway... I'm tired to have to replace OEM discs all the time and I'm seriously thinking at getting after-market ones (instead of used OEM off E-Bay...).

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I found out that the pro-lites that are on my 12 will fit on the 11 also. I have a buddy who has a couple sets. Time to make a deal.

Jay, you have money, thanks

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I found out that the pro-lites that are on my 12 will fit on the 11 also. I have a buddy who has a couple sets. Time to make a deal.
Yes because both ZX-12R and ZX-11D uses 320 mm discs (as some other Kawasaki models; I have the complete list if you're interested). However, my old C model is using 310 mm discs. Does your friend have some of those too or only 320 mm units? And what's his selling price?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I lost the count. But in the last 3~4 years, I maybe used 2 or 3 sets !!

Funny thing is that the actual ones are not warped (absolutely no brake lever pulsating) but they do brake in a variable manner within one wheel's revolution. It's particularly akward at very low speed (when I am about to stop). All those discs are OEN used units I got off E-Bay (unkwown mileage). They all perform good when I install them but the same phenomenon happens shortly after. Maybe my bike is wrong but I don't know what it could be. Bearings are OK, steering stem too and tire balance also. Maybe a bent wheel where the discs touch it?? But it would be bent elsewhere for sure if a pothole would have made this...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
And I forgot to tell I only ride 3000~4000 miles a year.

Last week, I got to a local independant (no dealership) repair shop to talk about this. The guy listened and asked me: "Let me guess, you're riding a Kawasaki arn't you?" His opinon (and it's only an opinion) is it looks like the metal Kawasaki is using on their disc's blades are of a cheap quality that can degrades and create such problems.

Mine is acting like if there was kind of a "stickier spot" on one disc and that the friction coefficient (brake action) was increasing for a farction of second each time this spot meets the brake pads. When I am slowing down, I can see the fork pogo'ing (contracting and extending) at the same frequency the wheel is turning. So, to me, it looks like the blade is bad. I tried sanding with Garnett paper but it changed nothing.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
To be honest, I don't know. I swapped the discs as a pair without trying to find which one is the culprit. So far I was thinking it was the caliper's fault; in the last 3 years, I tried 3 different sets of calipers to figure out they're not the cause.

I am now only realizing it could be the disc's material. Next time I replace them, I'll try to find which one it is (LH or RH), try to find the "sticky spot" and try to look at it after magnifying it. I'm really tired of this crap...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I like the EBS's I have been using their products for a long time and have never had a problem with them. Claude's story is interesting because I have had a problem with every set of stock Kawi rotors I have used. I have a set that did the very same thing that Claude is describing. I am thinking that I might do a hardness check on them at work when I have a moment in a random pattern. I suspect it is a work hardening issue related to the heat that these bikes can generate in the front brakes. The key may well be the quality of materials used in fabrication.
Brett, I got the notification and I will ship tomorrow. If I had known where you are I would have brought them to Bristol with me. I just got back on Monday from 10 days in NC and TN. Oh well...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts