Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of a poster here, but I visited the forums almost daily.
A few days ago someone ran a red light (prob drunk), as the light didn't just change and it was solid color for a while.

Car in front of me slammed on its brakes, I slammed on mine. I tried to steer out of the way as i saw i was'nt going to make it. I slammed into the car kind of sideways got ejected from the bike and went sliding down the road. Was knocked out for a second, but woke up to the pain of sliding down the road and somehow just got up and walked and starting to pick up my shit off the road.

I had a helmet on and it flew off my head when i hit the ground with my head, as i didnt tighten it. Luckily I was wearing a biker jacket and long pants that only left me with a little roadrash.

Feel very fortunate to walk away from that with just some rash. It's funny with the bike, some very eerie things has happened. But to keep this short, not going to get into all that.

As i was pushing this thing home, i lived a mile down from the scene, and I didn't have the money for towing. 2 guys stopped and offered to buy the bike off me. We exchanged info, so that made this interesting...

Heres the question. The bike runs fine. The front is tottaly smashed and the sides are scratched to shit. Headlights somehow is the only thing that survived from the front and are in excellent condition, but the instrument panel is wrecked. The lever for the front brake broke off, (i'm sure thats an easy fix.) and right foot peg is not sturdy.
Since it has no levers to brake, i tried moving it and clutch engages and it worked fine and made it move, but didnt go over 4mph because of the no brakes.

You guys think I should sell it as is or part it out? I'd like to regain some of my investment atleast. Or keep it... DOn't have cashflow to make it street legal.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Remove the busted fairings, cobble up some turn signals and ride it. Tell people it's a street fighter in progress.

And tighten the chin strap on your helmet.

Josh

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Nope, just liability.. Regreting that now
Call a motorcycle lawyer and sue the guy that caused the accident. Most intersections are under surveillance these days. They'll find him. You only have 30 days to pursue Legal action I think so don't sit around. File a police report if you haven't done so.

I've always only carried liability on my bikes and whenever I was involved in an accident the other driver was at fault and ended up paying for my stuff.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also get checked out by a doc if you haven't already. If you were knocked out, you could potentially have a concussion and not even know it (potentially deadly).

Probably worth more to part it out than sell as is, though that involves a good bit of extra work.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Glad you were able to get up & walk away, but you really need to see a doc since you were knocked out. I don't know what to tell you about your bike. I will say if it were mine & the frame was not damaged, I'd rebuild it. But thats just me. Go see a doc & good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I refused medical attention on the scene as I was full of adrenaline and felt more than fine, but after that wore off, I felt off and went to the hospital. Everything checked out fine though.

I'm going to the police today to get the police report and take your advise turbo and hopefully find the guy who ran the redlight, as he left the scene.

I got a friend mechanic coming over tonight to check it out and going to put in his 2 cents on what to do.

·
6,860 Posts
Out here in California, it 100% your fault if you run into the back of somebody, regardless of the reason. You could get the guy fled the scene in big trouble, but would not be able to recover and damages. It might be worth your while finding out the local laws there before signing up with a lawyer.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Out here in California, it 100% your fault if you run into the back of somebody, regardless of the reason. You could get the guy fled the scene in big trouble, but would not be able to recover and damages. It might be worth your while finding out the local laws there before signing up with a lawyer.
I think he should get a consult anyway. Most accident lawyers don't charge fees unless they get you money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts