Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally found full Muzzys exhaust system for my 97 ZX9R and was just wondering if anyone has ever wrapped their headers. I've read that it helps with the flow of the exhaust vapors out of the pipes therefore helping with performance. And I realize that the next thing may only apply to cars but it says that it helps with under the hood air temperature and therefore with lower intake temps. I was just wondering what anybody thought about the possibility of it helping with the intake of on a bike. Any thoughts or experiences you have had is definitely welcome.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Temps at themotor directly affect temps on your legs too. And lowers engine temp a bit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I melted the shit out of the heel on my work shoes on my exhaust, header wrap is definitely coming soon. Gonna wrap the midpipe at least to protect my shoes.

I work at an Advance Auto Parts store, and we just started selling this titanium header wrap that looks pretty cool and is supposed to be more effective than standard header wrap, so I'm gonna try it out.

Not too worried about power, more worried about heat control to protect my plastics and shoes. Don't want paint melting off my fairings like it did on my ex250f

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point. I saw the same titanium wrap at Checker the other day. I think I may give it a try once I get to it in a couple weeks. I you get to it before I do, let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Intake air comes from the front cowling so I don't think header wrap will affect the intake air temp. With a turbo it's good to wrap the header as you want all the exhaust heat going into the turbo not out to the atmosphere.

I had my muzzy header ceramic coated, but not sure if that really made any difference...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ceramic coating does help the heat scavenging out of the pipe. Header wrap is only for external heat problems like fuel lines or cooked limbs.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
So I finally found full Muzzys exhaust system for my 97 ZX9R and was just wondering if anyone has ever wrapped their headers. I've read that it helps with the flow of the exhaust vapors out of the pipes therefore helping with performance. And I realize that the next thing may only apply to cars but it says that it helps with under the hood air temperature and therefore with lower intake temps. I was just wondering what anybody thought about the possibility of it helping with the intake of on a bike. Any thoughts or experiences you have had is definitely welcome.
I did a full exhaust wrap on my Muzzy. Thread includes pics:

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r-forum/40889-header-wrapping-exhaust-polishing-install.html

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
+1 on heat reduction. i used to get heat rash on my legs from the heat coming out of the cowling and i would get vapor lock at idle when my bike would reach the middle of the normal operating temp on my coolant guage. since i wrapped my exhaust when i rebuilt my motor... no issues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts